Storing puncture repair kits

bigmonka
bigmonka Posts: 361
edited February 2016 in Commuting general
I had to do a puncture repair last night but found that my rubber cement tube had gone all hard and unusable. So I turned to the Park Tools pre-glued patches, but they'd lost most of their stickiness too :(

Basically I think they've been in the garage or my bag for too long, and got too cold (or maybe hot last summer).

How do you guys store your kits that keeps them useable?!

Comments

• imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    BigMonka wrote:
    I had to do a puncture repair last night but found that my rubber cement tube had gone all hard and unusable. So I turned to the Park Tools pre-glued patches, but they'd lost most of their stickiness too :(

Basically I think they've been in the garage or my bag for too long, and got too cold (or maybe hot last summer).

How do you guys store your kits that keeps them useable?!

Mine are in a few twists of cling-film; all in with tools etc in tool bottle. Worked fine last visit. Main reason for cling film is that the little bit of roughening paper was get crap all over my multitools and setting off my latent ocd
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Found that out the hard way that once the seal is pierced the solvent escapes in a few months. So now I save punctured tubes then patch them at home, several at a time, then chuck the glue when I'm done.
    In my seat pack I carry patches and a sealed, unused tube of glue, and hope not to need them. I'll also have 1 or 2 spare tubes depending on how far from civilization I'm going and for how long, so I can simply replace the tube and take the wounded one home for later repair.