Long reach bars, short stem or otherway around...?

bristolpete
bristolpete Posts: 2,255
edited February 2016 in Road general
Cross posted this in workshop, better suited to here maybe ?

Have an interesting debate going on. On my last build, I went for a reasonably long reach bar and my usual 100mm stem, both 3T alloy so nothing expensive or exotic.

My riding compatriot thinks that long reach bars are out of date and dont suit modern shifters, which I am neither here nor there about as my fit works. However, in discussion he reckons that a longer stem, 110/120 with a shorter bar better suited to the modern rider (Zipp SC SL-70 - the bike fitters dream) and bike and the steering better with a longer stem and shorter bar. I see slower, but not 'better'...?!?!

I quite like have a long reach as I rotate my pelvis and spend a lot of time riding the hoods, never been an on the drops rider hence have long reach large drop.

Any opinions out there and more so, can 10mm affect handling that much ? It has got me thinking is all and never really pondered it.

Pete.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Sounds like your mate needs to get in the sea. WTF is a 'modern rider'..?
  • bristolpete
    Imposter wrote:
    Sounds like your mate needs to get in the sea. WTF is a 'modern rider'..?

Running short reach in effect....
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Reach is a measure of (in this case) how far it is to the hoods. In that sense, how you get there is irrelevant. The length of the stem is not important, the critical number is the measurement between the top cap and your hoods. The relative length of various bits in between don't matter.
  • bristolpete
    Imposter wrote:
    Reach is a measure of (in this case) how far it is to the hoods. In that sense, how you get there is irrelevant. The length of the stem is not important, the critical number is the measurement between the top cap and your hoods. The relative length of various bits in between don't matter.

Yes, cool, but the question is can a short reach bar with a longer stem impact the feel and ride over a short stem and long bars ? As the Zipp short reach says "Whether it’s a rider with a shorter torso or a bigger rider getting aero by pairing this bar with a long stem"....
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Imposter wrote:

The one thing watch for are shorter drop bars. Since i got shorter reach and drop bars i am much more comfortable in the drops and make much more use of them.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    Imposter wrote:

Yes, cool, but the question is can a short reach bar with a longer stem impact the feel and ride over a short stem and long bars ? As the Zipp short reach says "Whether it’s a rider with a shorter torso or a bigger rider getting aero by pairing this bar with a long stem"....

Just read Imposters post again and maybe again and again.
  • bristolpete
    lesfirth wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

Just read Imposters post again and maybe again and again.

I have, but the above post eludes to the fact is not quite as cut and dried does it ? But point taken, all things being equal you are in the same place reach wise, so I suppose its about drop.

160mm head tube. 120mm stem, 70 reach bars same place as 160mm head tube, 100mm stem, 90mm reach....the front end just looks longer with the first stem