Omloop Het Nieuwsblad - Sat 27th Feb **SPOILERS**

imatfaal
imatfaal Posts: 2,716
edited March 2016 in Pro race
Omloop Het Nieuwsblad - the 71st (or is that 68th) instalment is almost upon us; the 200km flanders Classic is on Saturday 27th with a roll past the official start planned for 1145 lt

I cannot find a decent map - the one provided by the website is dreadful
24895674900_385003d3ab_b.jpg

I will upload a decent profile when I get one - and hopefully update the map with something readable

The Roadbook is here

The weather is not looking too bad - with forecasts giving 7 deg and no rain and little wind. Perfect.

The start list on the website is a bad scan made into a PDF - in line with rest of site really - here is a much nicer version
ProCycling Stats

It seems that Ian Stannard isn't riding (sorry if this has already been chewed over elsewhere - been away from everything apart from work for a while) - a win would have been historic as no one has ever won three on the spin and he would be the first non-belge to win three (admittedly he is the first non-belge to win two)

20150228-2233-Digitalclickx.com.jpg?1425146378

There is the sad news that Giant won't be there either
Team Giant-Alpecin will not participating in this year’s Omloop Het Nieuwsblad, held on February 27, 2016. At the end of January six riders of the German team were involved in an accident in Spain. John Degenkolb and five teammates were hurt, which has disorganized their spring season

BTW - if you want pictures of beer, cheese, goats, horses feel free to post them yourselves :-)

And this is the first PTP of the season unless I have gotten confused

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,227
    My fiancée's parents and mine are meeting for the first time over lunch on Sat so I will miss this.

Grrr...
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    My fiancée's parents and mine are meeting for the first time over lunch on Sat so I will miss this.
    By "this" I assume you mean the meeting of your parents and future in-laws so you can watch the race. Get your priorities right Rick!
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716

Grrr...

As inrng says in his blog- there are others that come along very quickly; even so to miss the first of the season - "greater love hath no man..."
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Saturday, Saturday, Saturday, Saturday, Saturday!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • I think I did the start list to death through a drunken haze on the Cobbles thread on Friday night.

Full route is here (minus the Molenberg and the slightly altered start/finish this year) and yeah, I made and rode that for fun

https://www.strava.com/routes/464884
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    And it's live on BIKE channel on Sky and Virgin, from 1:15pm.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Joelsim wrote:
    Good spot!
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:
    Good spot!
    It was quite slow to start that channel. the Italian masters series has had some interesting bits but the editing and filming is terrible which makes it hard work to watch. Some have been better than others though.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Full route is here (minus the Molenberg and the slightly altered start/finish this year) and yeah, I made and rode that for fun

I think you might be my hero.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    There appear to be quite a few races on BIKE moving forwards
  • Milton50 wrote:

I think you might be my hero.

I call it the Ian Stannard Appreciation ride and have done it on a weekday in August for the last 2 years. This years was run in appalling weather and saw me pack with 35km left after 3 punctures and a closed bike shop. Vanmarcke-esque.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • ddraver
    Just because I happen to be there - do any London folk fancy meeting up and watching this somewhere in the big smoke?
    - @ddraver
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    I'll be out of town dave
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Joelsim wrote:
    Yes, I saw that ProMo too.
    Heaved a sigh of relief that I can watch it on the big screen. ?
    "My Man" not riding this year and I hope he takes after another "My Man" Peter Van Petegem who went on to Flanders and Roubaix successes.
    In 1998 when the selection had been made I asked the guy next to me if Peter had made the group as I told him he won it last year and I hoped he might win again. He did.
    The guy said "so do I, He's my son" and invited me to follow him to Lockeren on the motorways, where he got me into the VIP tent with Mr Museeuw senior. I had followed their two Mercedes at speed through a thunderstorm and lashing rain but what a day.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • deejay wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:
    "My Man" not riding this year and I hope he takes after another "My Man" Peter Van Petegem who went on to Flanders and Roubaix successes.
    In 1998 when the selection had been made I asked the guy next to me if Peter had made the group as I told him he won it last year and I hoped he might win again. He did.
    The guy said "so do I, He's my son" and invited me to follow him to Lockeren on the motorways, where he got me into the VIP tent with Mr Museeuw senior. I had followed their two Mercedes at speed through a thunderstorm and lashing rain but what a day.

Awesome, I've met PVP a couple of times. Once on the bike where he graciously let me take my turns before killing me into a headwind and once when he was watching his nephew in a junior race. He's a good bloke.

@gietvangent
  • ddraver
    dish_dash wrote:
    I'll be out of town dave

Booo, It ll get me away from my sisters birthday party preparations nicely so I may claim you re in town anyway...
    - @ddraver
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Graeme_S wrote:
    By "this" I assume you mean the meeting of your parents and future in-laws so you can watch the race. Get your priorities right Rick!
    Sounds like he's under the thumb already.
    Cannot be a cyclist to let that happen and in my case the future wife was well trained on Sunday schedules of meeting at 4am for marshaling or feeding duties in the club 100 or looking after me as I changed by the roadside bushes.
    Saturday evening was OK, instead of going dancing or the Flicks. :roll:
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • deejay wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

Cracking anecdote, deejay!
  • Joelsim wrote:
    Good times
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,227
    ddraver wrote:
    Just because I happen to be there - do any London folk fancy meeting up and watching this somewhere in the big smoke?

Frenchie should be around.

Drop him a PM.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:
    Good spot!

Woohoo! (Although it's not showing on their website)

Now just to not get too drunk on Friday night so I can go and ride some cobbles beforehand.
  • ddraver
    ddraver wrote:

Frenchie should be around.

Drop him a PM.

...well played
    - @ddraver
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    So, where were we?

Tinkov still around?
    Cav still not really that fast?
    .. and has Fabian complained about something yet?!
    Did Lars win 4 og 5 of the first calender races? He's being humble, isn't he? It's 4.

Finally the cycling season is about to start! Shame it's over come mid April.. ;)
  • ddraver
    Fiar points, both Tinky and Fabs have been quiet so far this season. Fabs looks in ominous form which could be why there is less to whinge about...

Lars impressed the purists on the CX circuit but I have nt seen him on the road yet..
    - @ddraver
  • I see ONE Pro Cycling are on the start list, their first Flanders Classic and first big-time race in Europe. Seems like they have big ambitions and it would be good to see another British team in top level racing.

Would be nice to see The Dude on the podium (or one of the other stalwarts of the British racing scene) but I don't think it's going to happen.
  • Cneifion wrote:
    I see ONE Pro Cycling are on the start list, their first Flanders Classic and first big-time race in Europe. Seems like they have big ambitions and it would be good to see another British team in top level racing.

Would be nice to see The Dude on the podium (or one of the other stalwarts of the British racing scene) but I don't think it's going to happen.

Yeah. I think that's pushing into fantasy territory
  • Tisj in De Gentenaar today saying it's a pleasure to ride in front of hometown fans. Drumming up support.

@gietvangent
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    No idea who to pick for PTP - if I were to go with my men it would have to be Gilbert or Sagan, but I have no idea how either of them are going at the moment. I usually just pick whoever I like the most out of the riders with good odds but the race isn't showing on any of the normal betting websites (yet).

*goes away and looks at procyclingstats*
  • bobmcstuff wrote:
    No idea who to pick for PTP - if I were to go with my men it would have to be Gilbert or Sagan, but I have no idea how either of them are going at the moment. I usually just pick whoever I like the most out of the riders with good odds but the race isn't showing on any of the normal betting websites (yet).

*goes away and looks at procyclingstats*

Well, Pip picked up a win in Murcia, so he's looking lively. But balance that with the fact he'll have to take a back seat to GVA the Bridesmaid...
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    Cneifion wrote:
    I see ONE Pro Cycling are on the start list, their first Flanders Classic and first big-time race in Europe. Seems like they have big ambitions and it would be good to see another British team in top level racing.

Yeah. I think that's pushing into fantasy territory

Who is The Dude?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!