Hub width for disc equipped bikes

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,538
edited February 2016 in Commuting chat
Evening,

I bought a couple of Halo track rims late last year, and have been biding my time for a decent but cheapish disc compatible hub to crop up.

These Vision ones just popped up on Planet X - which weigh in at less than £50 the pair.

BUT, it appears they are 130mm width at the rear, but I have a sneaking suspicion my Cannondale Synapse has a 135 rear track?
I think this mainly because the pro lite wheels I bought off of Wiggle state they are 135mm - didn't even realise they had a different width - any reason for it?

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/HUVIME40/vision-metron-40-road-disc-rear-28-hole-hub

Am I right or wrong?

And I am guessing that 5mm difference makes it a major no no?

And if so, I wonder if that is why they are flogging them cheap, as there is no real market for them.

I could just buy the front I guess, and wait for a 135 rear to come along, but better if they are matching I guess.
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    135mm is standard for discs. MRS's Volagi uses 130mm, but that is an early disc frame and is unusual. Could be that they got it wrong and it is 135 really. You could buy it and return it if it's wrong. Looks like a Novatec 772 hub to me at first glance, I think they are 135mm QR or 142mm bolt through. Ugo will know for sure.
  • daniel_b
    Veronese68 wrote:
    135mm is standard for discs. MRS's Volagi uses 130mm, but that is an early disc frame and is unusual. Could be that they got it wrong and it is 135 really. You could buy it and return it if it's wrong. Looks like a Novatec 772 hub to me at first glance, I think they are 135mm QR or 142mm bolt through. Ugo will know for sure.

Thanks for your reply Veronese - IF they are compatible, seems like quite a cheap set of hubs, would need to figure out what length spokes I would need after that, have made a note of the figures for the rims already, which are Halo Aero track IIRC.

Interestingly the fully built up wheels state that they are 135mm:
    http://www.visiontechusa.com/products/cyclocross/metron-40-tubular-disc/

Hopefully Ugo will pop along soon....... :D

Also just noticed that perhaps the spoke count is a bit low for disc - 28\24?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    Doh, looking at the spec for the rims, I see I need 32's front AND rear!

I'm guessing there is still not much about at a reasonable price though.
    Aerotrack Rims 700c
    Aerotrack Rim
    A slightly deeper section sister product to the well established Aerorage.
    The Aerotrack is a great option for those chasing after a light, strong road/track rim with an all-over colour finish (i.e. without a machined finish braking surface.)
    A perfect choice for those riders who want a super clean aero rim and no rim brakes.

Note: Anodised colour Aerotrack rims can also be used with a rim brake, as the braking surface is machined before colouring. However the colour will - of course wear.

NOTE: Rim brakes should NOT be used on the Paint and Powder coated colour finishes. If a coloured rim brake option is required, we would recommend the Aerorage rim featuring it's machine finished brake surface.

Specifications:
    19mm width.
    27mm Aero profile.
    "All over" colour finish (no brake surface).
    Strong Box section double wall.
    T-10 heat treated alloy.
    Reliable, weld free, sleeve joint.

700c Road/Track
    32 H.

Weight guides; 435

E.R.D.; 585

Recommended Spoke Tensions:
    Front: 80 to 100Kgs. Rear: 100 to 135Kgs.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Veronese68 wrote:

I had a good look at the picture from Planet X and I think:

HUVIME40_P1.jpg

It is a Novatec hub, but it's NOT the 352, which is a 130 mm hub
    D352SB-11.png

And not the 772, which is a 135 mm hub
    D772SB.png

I think it is an older 712 hub, which is a 135 mm hub
    D712SB%20LG.png
    left the forum March 2023
  • veronese68
    Aah, I thought 772 becasue they were 11 speed compatible and had the spacer. I get geek points for spotting they were Novatec at least.
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    Aah, I thought 772 becasue they were 11 speed compatible and had the spacer. I get geek points for spotting they were Novatec at least.

They did make some 712 with 11 speed freehub.

It would seem strange of Planet X to sell a product that don't fit their bike range. I do believe all their disc frames for QR are 135
  • Veronese68 wrote:

It would seem strange of Planet X to sell a product that don't fit their bike range. I do believe all their disc frames for QR are 135

Just to add to the confusion, there was a 722, which was a 130mm version of the 712. Fun this!

NOVATEC-Road-Disc-Hub-Rear-D722SB-for-Cyclocross-Bike-11-Speed-24H.jpg
  • Just to confirm V68's great memory that my first gen Liscio is 130mm - All other Volagi's, including Liscio 2, are 135mm. Part of the reason I believe the Liscio 1 went 130 is that it can run rim brakes instead I believe.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Veronese68 wrote:

Just to add to the confusion, there was a 722, which was a 130mm version of the 712. Fun this!

NOVATEC-Road-Disc-Hub-Rear-D722SB-for-Cyclocross-Bike-11-Speed-24H.jpg

I think Taiwanese manfacturers should all have a "Kitchen nighmare" session with Gordon Ramsey and reduce their menu... Novatec have an infinite catalogue, but it boils down to 2-3 models that sell... it's not quite clear what the rest is (said the man who has a Novatec 542 rear hub)
  • MikeBrew
    MikeBrew Posts: 814
    I was looking at these hubs, also. I got as far as ringing PX and, after consulting with colleagues, the guy I spoke to said that these are 130mm "conversion hubs", allowing normally spaced road bikes to be converted to disc.
    I wasn't convinced by this as a normal frame would lack the requisite lugs to attach calipers. Over time, I've noticed plenty of anomalies/inaccuracies in PX item descriptions, so I'm still half tempted to take a punt on them, in the hope that they are actually 135. Doesn't make much sense that they'd be branded Vision AND 130mm either, I'm not aware of any 130mm spaced Vision disc wheel models out there. What to do ? :?
  • MikeBrew wrote:
    I was looking at these hubs, also. I got as far as ringing PX and, after consulting with colleagues, the guy I spoke to said that these are 130mm "conversion hubs", allowing normally spaced road bikes to be converted to disc.
    I wasn't convinced by this as a normal frame would lack the requisite lugs to attach calipers. Over time, I've noticed plenty of anomalies/inaccuracies in PX item descriptions, so I'm still half tempted to take a punt on them, in the hope that they are actually 135. Doesn't make much sense that they'd be branded Vision AND 130mm either, I'm not aware of any 130mm spaced Vision disc wheel models out there. What to do ? :?
    Buy, measure and return/refund

That said, a normal 772 costs about the same
  • veronese68
    Buy, measure and return/refund
    This. Distance selling regs and all that. It will only cost you a bit of postage if it is wrong.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    My Bivio X (condor) is a 132.5. I think so you could use either disc wheels, or use normal wheels with canti brakes (as it's got the bosses which you can pull out).
  • daniel_b
    Well that was the proverbial can of worms!

Apologies all, but pleased to see the knowledge of the forum pooling together to give some invaluable information as usual :-)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • veronese68
    No problem. As is traditional we've ignored the fact that the hub is no use to you anyway and carried on regardless.
  • daniel_b
    Veronese68 wrote:
    No problem. As is traditional we've ignored the fact that the hub is no use to you anyway and carried on regardless.

:lol:

But Mr Brew is interested, so it is still wholly relevant :D
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    And out of interest, to those in the know, I believe I am then correct that there are no cheaper (Sub £100 for a pair) of 32 hole 135mm disc ready, out on the market?

Would Novatec be the most likely suspects to be bringing something out do the collective think?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Daniel B wrote:
    And out of interest, to those in the know, I believe I am then correct that there are no cheaper (Sub £100 for a pair) of 32 hole 135mm disc ready, out on the market?

Would Novatec be the most likely suspects to be bringing something out do the collective think?

Shimano XT are cheaper... about 60-70 quid for a pair
  • daniel_b
    Daniel B wrote:

Shimano XT are cheaper... about 60-70 quid for a pair

Thanks Ugo - just had a quick look and found this:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-deore-xt-disc-hub-rear-m756a/rp-prod3987?gs=1&gclid=CNG4-e7Bi8sCFUsUwwodPcEFRA&gclsrc=aw.ds

However one of the answers to a question says they won't work with SRAM 11 spd cassetted, which mine currently is, and also mentions:
    Hub Axle: 146mm

Is that seperate to the 130\135 debate I am looking at with regards to road\disc bikes?

Doh - ok I guess I would need something like this then instead:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-deore-disc-hub-rear-m525a/rp-prod3310?gs=1&gclid=CNuB58LEi8sCFbcW0wodR2UOjQ&gclsrc=aw.ds
    They seem ridiculously cheap.

Any logical reason to wait for road specific versions from the main players over this type of hub?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Those are not 11 speed hubs... this is

https://www.evanscycles.com/shimano-xt- ... b-EV249142
  • MikeBrew
    MikeBrew Posts: 814
    Rang again about the PX-Vision hubs today and they are indeed 130mm, evidenced by the fact that the guy at the other end of the line had them fitted to his own bike.