Return to Work Monday...

thekickingmule
thekickingmule Posts: 7,957
edited February 2016 in The Crudcatcher
Mehning Losers!

Today I'm knackered. Didn't get in until about 11:30 last night, and I can't go to bed straight away for some reason, so I stayed up and went to bed at about 00:25. Wahhh

Today I have to cope with retard minion again. The man's going to ask me how my weekend was, which I'd rather he didn't.

Laters!
It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
Blender Cube AMS Pro

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Morning all,
    In the office today, wobbled in through the moisture as I heard on the radio the road was shut just down the road from here. Bad start to the week for someone, there was only one car in the closed section, just after a pedestrian crossing with lots of police taking pictures. I fear someone may not be seeing Tuesday this week.
    On a brighter note...
    ...no, sorry. I've got nothing.
  • bg13
    bg13 Posts: 4,598
    Happy monday freak lords

Weekend of driving, drinking and skiing! Not at the same time you understand! I am quite the tired chap,at the moment!

More of the same this week, hopefully get the cast off my wrist thursday and get back to normal!

Toodles
    Loving life in rural SW France

Orange 5 Pro
    Ribble Audax
    On One Scandal 29er
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Morning,
    Back at work for a rest. Been what feels like a busy three day weekend with very little sleep. Slightly extended ride into work this morning to take advantage of the nice weather. Going to be a long day and I don't think I've got a front light with me for the ride home.
    Laters
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Good news though, the very wobbly shower head that was held on by electrical tape has been replaced with a new shower head, hose and holder thing. This is good, very good after what I've silently tolerated for the last few months that I've been riding here.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • y2keable
    y2keable Posts: 349
    With a whole week of skiing behind me (during which time, I proposed to my girlfriend), I now have the post holiday blues. Being back at work more than sucks.
    <hr noshade size="1"><font face="Book Antiqua"><b><font color="black">Crash, </font id="black"><font color="blue">get up. </font id="blue"><font color="black"> Crash, </font id="black"><font color="blue">get up. </font id="blue"><font color="black"> Crash, </font id="black"><font color="blue">get up. </font id="blue"><font color="black"> Crash, stay down. </font id="black"><font color="red"> Embrase pain.</font id="red"></b></font id="Book Antiqua">

<hr noshade size="1">
    [:D] Paying close attention to my mental hygeine. [:D]
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Rubbish weekend to be honest got some bits done Saturday with an old bike frame im playing with. Then Sunday had some bad news with a family member so not really been thinking straight spent my day head buried in things to keep myself busy just need some sleep to be honest at the moment.
  • y2keable wrote:
    With a whole week of skiing behind me (during which time, I proposed to my girlfriend), I now have the post holiday blues. Being back at work more than sucks.
    That was silly. You might regret that (Congratulations)
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • y2keable
    y2keable Posts: 349

Yes, there are consequences for everything you say to a woman.
    <hr noshade size="1"><font face="Book Antiqua"><b><font color="black">Crash, </font id="black"><font color="blue">get up. </font id="blue"><font color="black"> Crash, </font id="black"><font color="blue">get up. </font id="blue"><font color="black"> Crash, </font id="black"><font color="blue">get up. </font id="blue"><font color="black"> Crash, stay down. </font id="black"><font color="red"> Embrase pain.</font id="red"></b></font id="Book Antiqua">

<hr noshade size="1">
    [:D] Paying close attention to my mental hygeine. [:D]
  • Greetings all,

Rather boring day of looking in to what I need to do for self employment and still just as confused.

Don't know if I need to set up as a sole trader or a sub contractor.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,160
    y2keable wrote:
    If he's a Crudder she wil, have either laughed or run away screaming.

Long day with pedalling at both ends. The first one was a bit soggy. Tomorrow is minion hunting and avoiding idiots.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Greetings all,

Rather boring day of looking in to what I need to do for self employment and still just as confused.

Don't know if I need to set up as a sole trader or a sub contractor.
    It's really not that difficult. Will you be working for yourself, or will you only work from contracts? Could someone phone you up and ask you to work, like a plumber? If so, sole trader. Basically, I think you're a sole trader, even if you're not sure (it's the easiest way to start up, you can change it later if need be!)
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • Thanks and sorry for the late reply, working exclusively for one company, but yeah in theory someone could call me up and ask me to do a job. So that's why I am not too sure.
  • I'm signed up as a sole trader. It's easiest, certainly if you're just starting out. As I said, it's easy to change if you believe your circumstances have changed.

If in real doubt, call them up. They are fecking useless at correspondence if it's via email or letter, but once you speak to someone, they can answer questions quickly. Give 'em a ring.
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • Tried calling them and all I got was someone saying well if you are going to be working for one company why don't they set you up on a PAYE.

Never done it before so all new to me. Only wanted advice from HRMC and they just didn't seem to get it.

If I go for sole trader does that mean I need a business account and to register as a solo trader somewhere? Sorry if they are basic questions but I have always been PAYE.
  • In fairness, the HRMC have quite a good point. It would be easier for you if they just set you up on their system!

If you're a sole trader, you literally don't need anything, other than to keep a record of your incomings and outgoings. Create a blank invoice, keep all receipts, make sure you keep a good track of your accounts, and you're done.
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • Ok, another basic question for people who are sole traders, won't I be landed with a big tax bill at the end of the year? Or is it best just to put a percentage of what I earn away until the end of the tax year.

Asked about getting set up on PAYE, they want self employed and I want the job so catch 22.
  • With regards to Tax Bill, yes. Depending on how much you earn, if it's less than £10k (soon to be £11k I think), then you'll earn no tax, and possibly get some money back from items you've bought for your business throughout the year.

Best thing to do, is put some money aside each month, just in case. That way, if you get taxed, you can pay it off instantly.
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • Thanks it does seem straight forward enough.

What would be the best thing for me to do now, obviously have and incoming and outgoing expense books and put a percentage of money away. Do I need to do anything else?

Don't want to get in trouble with HRMC, do I need receipts or proof of payment, do I need to invoice who I will be working with?

PAYE would be so much easier lol. You got that bolt out yet?
  • You'll need to keep all your receipts for anything work related. Petrol, meals, train tickets, tools, cars, computers etc etc.
    Keep invoices, you should send them to the person contracting you, but if they just give you the money, keep a record of it (I create invoices, even if I don't send it to them) that way you're covered.

It's really straight forward in fairness. You don't need to worry about doing much either. If you've only just started, your first tax year will consist of a few weeks. The year runs April - April, and the January deadline refers to the previous year, not the current one.

As long as you keep on top of it all, I would recommend dedicating an evening a week to go through all your accounts and get everything organised, then you'll have no problems at all.
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • Thanks, it does somewhat make sense now. I have always been PAYE so never had to worry about any of this.

I am just starting now, so I want to start on the right terms, ie. no nasty tax bill at the end of the tax year or find out I did something wrong.

One thing I still don't understand (and thankyou for being patient) do I need to register or tell someone that I am a sole trader or subcontractor?
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Ok, another basic question for people who are sole traders, won't I be landed with a big tax bill at the end of the year? Or is it best just to put a percentage of what I earn away until the end of the tax year.

Asked about getting set up on PAYE, they want self employed and I want the job so catch 22.

Well this is the trick. They are trying to avoid the obligations of an employer. Employers NI, holiday pay, pension funding, sick pay and so on. Most of the time it is illegal under employment law even though it may be legal under tax law and contract law. But do not make the mistake of sacrificing benefits for pay now - it will be ok for a while when you are young but is not the basis for meaningful employment.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • I have gathered that much FF,

I am wanting to keep on the legal side of things and not to put myself at risk. Not sure if it will be long term or not, but I want to do things in the correct manner.

The only advice I have been given is self employed, and that leads to more questions than answers.

• One thing I still don't understand (and thankyou for being patient) do I need to register or tell someone that I am a sole trader or subcontractor?
    You have to sign up on HMRC website so they know to ask you for your paperwork. That's about it.
    Blender Cube AMS Pro