Shit, Small Races 2016

The_Boy
The_Boy Posts: 3,099
edited December 2016 in Pro race
Was looking for a Ruta del Sol thread and couldn't find it so I guess that qualifies. Fwiw, Piti.valv wheelsucked his way to victory on the final climb.

Anyway, the repository for posting results of rubbish races nobody is interested in is officially open.
Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy

Comments

• The_Boy
    Oh yeah, and Slagter won stage 1 of Haut Var yesterday to take Cannondale out of the race for last WT team to get a win.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    The_Boy wrote:
    Was looking for a Ruta del Sol thread and couldn't find it so I guess that qualifies. Fwiw, Piti.valv wheelsucked his way to victory on the final climb.

Anyway, the repository for posting results of rubbish races nobody is interested in is officially open.

He certainly did.

Shows the difference between the creme and the 2nd tier.
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    Swift getting outsprinted by a guy sprinting in the saddle the other day. I just had to shake my head in disbelief.
  • joelsim
    Message from Frenchie on the subject. I think he missed the sarcasm in the posts, probably been sat in church for too long which has dulled his senses.

Hahaha. Saw my man Valverde's super move in this heavyweight race. Hardly even check this forum now given it has very little of worth, but thought I would have a look to see what the Valverde haters would make of this.

So I find this race consigned to a shoot small race thread, no proper thread like previous years and a ridiculous (predictable) comment about wheelsucking.

The reality is he attacked from 7km and solo'd the entire way. Don't let facts get in the way of a good moan and hate though. Lol.

https://youtu.be/ocIRROabVTU
  • hate to say it, but agree with FFs comments - Valverde stuck the boot in at the right point, and supposed TDF contender (if you're american) TJ Van Boredom didn't even try to go with him - even though Valv only had to get 22 seconds on him. Brent B worked his whatsits off for a few K before TJ put in an effort when it was far too late.

Whatever the view on Valverde, he's a damn smart racer, hence why he wins a lot.
  • joelsim
    hate to say it, but agree with FFs comments - Valverde stuck the boot in at the right point, and supposed TDF contender (if you're american) TJ Van Boredom didn't even try to go with him - even though Valv only had to get 22 seconds on him. Brent B worked his whatsits off for a few K before TJ put in an effort when it was far too late.

Whatever the view on Valverde, he's a damn smart racer, hence why he wins a lot.

That's kind of what the OP meant. 'wheel-sucked his way up the last 7km' (when there wasn't a wheel to suck).
  • Joelsim wrote:
    hate to say it, but agree with FFs comments - Valverde stuck the boot in at the right point, and supposed TDF contender (if you're american) TJ Van Boredom didn't even try to go with him - even though Valv only had to get 22 seconds on him. Brent B worked his whatsits off for a few K before TJ put in an effort when it was far too late.

That's kind of what the OP meant. 'wheel-sucked his way up the last 7km' (when there wasn't a wheel to suck).

The only explanation is somebody didn't watch the race and took a punt on Valverde's manner of victory, in a not unreasonable manner.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • The_Boy
    Joelsim wrote:

The only explanation is somebody didn't watch the race and took a punt on Valverde's manner of victory, in a not unreasonable manner.

If that was directed at me, I most certainly did watch the race and made what should have been an obvious joke.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Who TF wants a message from FF?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • The_Boy wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

If that was directed at me, I most certainly did watch the race and made what should have been an obvious joke.

Jokes on me, I couldn't even be bothered reading the whole thread let alone watching a race that didn't happen
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • joelsim
    Anyway, love him or hate him, Valverde is a hell of a rider
  • ddraver wrote:

Well, I think we could probably do without 'messages' from him via other parties

Its a bit playground
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    No one on BR is above playground antics....
  • ddraver wrote:

Well, I think we could probably do without 'messages' from him via other parties

Its a bit playground

I channelled him through a Ouija board last week. I got as far as "S-E-C-O-N-D-H-A-N-D-O-R-B-E-A-M-A-D-E-O-F-I-R-O-N" and gave up.

@gietvangent
  • No one on BR is above playground antics....

Then he can man up
  • rick_chasey
    No one on BR is above playground antics....

Then he can man up

vic_bob_handbags.jpg
  • ^And fine underlining of your previous post
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    Grumpy Monday RR?
  • dish_dash wrote:
    Grumpy Monday RR?

Mebbe

Ok. I shall rewind, and instead Dish out virtual hugs all round

On another tack, anyone going to the Ciro-Cycling Podcast special tonight?
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash wrote:
    Grumpy Monday RR?

Mebbe

Ok. I shall rewind, and instead Dish out virtual hugs all round

On another tack, anyone going to the Ciro-Cycling Podcast special tonight?

That's better! 8)

Yup, see you there?
  • rick_chasey
    Si.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Joelsim wrote:
    Message from Frenchie on the subject. I think he missed the sarcasm in the posts, probably been sat in church for too long which has dulled his senses.

Hahaha. Saw my man Valverde's super move in this heavyweight race. Hardly even check this forum now given it has very little of worth, but thought I would have a look to see what the Valverde haters would make of this.

So I find this race consigned to a shoot small race thread, no proper thread like previous years and a ridiculous (predictable) comment about wheelsucking.

The reality is he attacked from 7km and solo'd the entire way. Don't let facts get in the way of a good moan and hate though. Lol.

https://youtu.be/ocIRROabVTU

This is the Valverde I would want to see race more often. That was an actual exciting attack. He IS a soul destroying wheelsucker a lot of the time but credit where it's due.

His magnet must have broken and he threw caution to the wind :lol:
  • Now he's given up on the hair plugs, perhaps he's casting aside his wheel-sucking habits too
  • dish_dash
    Plenty of drama at Le Tour de Langkawi... according to Rupert Guiness

Qhubeka DS blocks Astana car towing Miguel Angel Lopez back to the peloton after he broke a wheel. Lopez finishes 35 secs down, DS gets a fine. Janse van Rensberg up the road takes the lead but ships his chain inside 3km.
  • dish_dash
    Janse van Rensberg of Qhubeka wins the overall. Guardini takes another sprint win.

57.jpg
    133.jpg
    97.jpg
    115.jpg
  • The_Boy
    dish_dash wrote:
    Plenty of drama at Le Tour de Langkawi... according to Rupert Guiness

Qhubeka DS blocks Astana car towing Miguel Angel Lopez back to the peloton after he broke a wheel. Lopez finishes 35 secs down, DS gets a fine. Janse van Rensberg up the road takes the lead but ships his chain inside 3km.

Astana DS, or DD? And when you say towing do you mean doing a Nibali, or drafting?
  • dish_dash
    Qhubeka DS got the fine. Lopez was drafting...
  • The_Boy
    Ah, right. I was readying my bolt gun for a second there.
  • Just found out this went past the hotel in Penang I stayed in a few years ago. I even did some cycling on them roads, was hard going with the humidity!
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    Before everones favourite big race tomorrow it's my favourite small race today.

Volta Limburg

BMC v Jumbo

Gilbert v Hofland

A couple of other 'ex-pros' to tick off your spotter list.

Not there this year and missing it already!
    Half man, Half bike