FSA bottom bracket replacement

gaz047
gaz047 Posts: 601
edited February 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, I'm replacing a mates BB on his Cannondale Prophet. Chainset is FSA as is the BB. Is there any reason I can't put road FSA BB on it, is there any difference between the MTB and road versions? As the size is the same (68-73mm 1.37in x 24t).
Looking at the one linked below

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/fsa-bb-4000-ome ... m-bracket/

Although looking at some of the reviews, is there an alternative anyone could recommend ?(preferably cheaper too!!)

We looked at putting a shimano HT2 on it but each end has a lip on it and the FSA ends are flat. This resulted in play in the chainset.

Any help is greatly appreciated
many thanks
Gaz
if it ain't rainin.....it ain't trainin
Stick your 'rules' up your a%se

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The Shimano HT2 should be a direct replacement. Did you fit the spacers?
    Some road BB's use a different thread.
  • gaz047
    gaz047 Posts: 601
    Hi RockMonkey and cheers for the reply. That's what I thought, both cups are the same as the FSA ones. However the outer faces (where the crank arms come into contact with the bb) are flat on the FSA cups, but on the shimano ones there is a protrusion all the way round and the drive side of the crank doesn't seem to fit flush. The spacers were added btw.
    For now I've given the original bb a good clean, reinstalled and is running
    smoother. But yeah has been a pain as thought it would be a straight swap ...bugger!
    Thanks again
    if it ain't rainin.....it ain't trainin
    Stick your 'rules' up your a%se
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    FSA Omega uses a unique 19mm spindle size, HT2 is 24mm so you have no option but to stick with FSA
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..