Last Film Watched

Comments

• vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    Yeah I think indulgent probably sums it up.
    It worked for me, but I do like his films & as you say the camera work is something else at times.
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    Pusher. 1996 Danish drug dealing drama. Surprisingly good. One of Nicolas Winding Refn's first movies. Although I can't find Pusher 2 with subtitles :(
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Also The Revenant. Went to the premiere a couple of weeks ago.

Really good. Excellent, cautious build up to the climax with stunning scenes and backdrops. Shot in chronological order with 'live' weather, between Argentina and Alaska/Canada. Long, but worth every minute. Tempted to call it an 'epic' but doesn't have that 'Gladiator' or 'Shawshank' feel to it.

Only gripe is Tom Hardy is hard to understand.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    seanoconn wrote:
    Pusher. 1996 Danish drug dealing drama. Surprisingly good. One of Nicolas Winding Refn's first movies. Although I can't find Pusher 2 with subtitles :(

You have PM :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    The Guard

Brendan Gleason is excellent.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Hateful Eight - If you like Tarantino, then this will not disappoint.
    The opening scene as the camera pans away from a cruciform coupled with the score of Enio Morricone is truly great.
    In all there are only three/four sets/scenes with the majority of the film played out in Minnie's Haberdashery.
    Excellent casting, great script, damned good acting by all, cannot think of one duff performer.
    Bl88dy long film, but it didn't feel like it.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • seanoconn
    crispybug2 wrote:
    The Guard

Brendan Gleason is excellent.
    Great actor.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,218
    Saw spotlight.

Standard journo-uncovering-a-conspiracy film but done very well.

However well you go into the film knowing the abuse the Catholic Church inflicted on so many children doesn't prepare you for hearing the individual stories nor the real scale of it.

It's done very well, plenty of good acting, drama?and jepoardy, though with no light relief it's quite draining.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    The Lobster - wtf.

How that can be described as sci-fi comedy. just daft.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    I went to see The Revenant last night.

It's long, brutal and very short on laughs.

edit to say...
    I notice that Coriordon has also commented on this film, and I agree with him about Tom Hardy, I only caught about 1 word in every 4 and it made it quite difficult to follow.

The older I get, the better I was.

• The Night Before.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3530002/

Well yeah… It's pretty much like all of their movies in this genre. It's funny at times but not as amusing as Pineapple Express or This is the End. It's worth a watch sometime - at Christmas.
    tick - tick - tick
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    The Intern - De Niro becomes Anne Hathaways Intern and maaaaaaahhhhhhhh, the feels!!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Spectre - On the face of it a typical Bond film that I would usually just take my brain out to watch and enjoy but I just found this one kind of 'unsatisfactory' for want of a better word. IMHO, there were a couple of very good action sequences but not much by way of a plot to hold them together. I guess it might have been better had I watched it on the big screen but, then again, maybe you just can't polish a turd.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • earth
    earth Posts: 934
    Zoolander2 - Cringeworthy drivel. Why didn't I see Dad's Army instead?
  • earth
    ayjaycee wrote:
    Spectre - On the face of it a typical Bond film that I would usually just take my brain out to watch and enjoy but I just found this one kind of 'unsatisfactory' for want of a better word. IMHO, there were a couple of very good action sequences but not much by way of a plot to hold them together. I guess it might have been better had I watched it on the big screen but, then again, maybe you just can't polish a turd.

The best part of that film must have been the bit where Bond questioned the mouse. It was the only part I enjoyed because I was asleep for the rest of it.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    agreed about Spectre, I was very underwhelmed...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    earth wrote:

'Cos according to all the reviews, that's a bit shite as well.
  • mr_goo
    Deadpool - Haven't laughed all the way through a film like that since Life of Brian. If you love Marvel stuff this will feed your hunger, but at an adult level. Cert 18 and it really is, not one to buy the kids on DVD in a few months. Excellent humour, the profanity is frequent (nearly every sentence) but is actually quite apt. Excellent references and easter eggs to the rest of the Marvel universe, and frequent breaking of the the 4th wall. 9/10 from me.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • earth
    finchy wrote:
    earth wrote:

'Cos according to all the reviews, that's a bit shite as well.

That was in the back of my mind.
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    earth wrote:

Was the first one really funny enough in the first place to justify a sequel?
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    Dad's Army,

Disappointing really. Nothing wrong with it and it was never going to be the same as the originals, but the 'feel' of it has changed too. Hard to explain, but the old series made you believe that there was a war on. You wouldn't be surprised in this film if someone got out a mobile phone.

The older I get, the better I was.

• wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Watched the Martian last night for the first time.
    Loved it. Really enjoyed it. Loving the deeper thinking films at the moment rather than the high explosive screamers - Interstellar, Gravity, Moon are on the top of my what to watch list at the moment ( yes, I love space )
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • Watched the Martian last night for the first time.
    Loved it. Really enjoyed it. Loving the deeper thinking films at the moment rather than the high explosive screamers - Interstellar, Gravity, Moon are on the top of my what to watch list at the moment ( yes, I love space )

We watched gravity last week, very enjoyable film and quite short at 1hr 20 ish although it makes sense once you've watched it. Sandra Bullock is very easy on the eye as well!

There's a small local cinema still showing the Martian so we might go to the pics to see it.

Also, I'd agree about spectre, unfortunately we arrived quite late at the pics so had to sit on virtually the front row which spoiled it and my eyes burnt for a few days after! Very disappointed with the film and ordinarily I've give it another chance and watch the DVD but not with this one.
  • mr_goo
    Watched the Martian last night for the first time.

+1 Interstellar. I really enjoyed it. The soundtrack was excellent too. Haven't seen on DVD yet, and not sure whether it will work as well on telly screen.
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Sicario - vastly underwhelmed. All the trailers seemed to set up Emily Blunt as a strong female character and then she just spends the whole film looking confused and scared whilst what is patently obviously going to happen, happens. Nice cinematography but that is all.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,151
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Deadpool - Haven't laughed all the way through a film like that since Life of Brian. If you love Marvel stuff this will feed your hunger, but at an adult level. Cert 18 and it really is, not one to buy the kids on DVD in a few months. Excellent humour, the profanity is frequent (nearly every sentence) but is actually quite apt. Excellent references and easter eggs to the rest of the Marvel universe, and frequent breaking of the the 4th wall. 9/10 from me.
    This is on my list, seems right up my street.

Last film seen was the 2014 remake of Robocop. Nor bad but nowhere near as amusing as the 1987 Verhoven original.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • mr_goo
    Lone Survivor - Mark Wahlberg - Afgahnistan - Navy Seals - Mission Goes T**s Up.
    Not very good in my opinion. Typical US patriotic pap about how brave (agreed) their boys are in the face of adversity and that their soldiers do have a moral compass even if it puts them in harms way.

However one should compare this to Kajaki, and for me there is no contest. Brits win hands down.
  • seanoconn
    MrSweary wrote:
    Sicario - vastly underwhelmed. All the trailers seemed to set up Emily Blunt as a strong female character and then she just spends the whole film looking confused and scared whilst what is patently obviously going to happen, happens. Nice cinematography but that is all.
    Yep agreed. Looked good, good cast, a couple of good action scenes but Emily Blunt seemed way out of her depth as an actress. Disappointing.
  • Dads Army. Having grown up with original what a total let down
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:
    This is on my list, seems right up my street.
    Highly recommend it, very funny. Certainly wouldn't take the EPO to see it as it's very childish bloke humour. It's actually rated a 15 which I was surprised by.