KMC 11 speed chains

earth
earth Posts: 934
edited February 2016 in Workshop
The quick links for 11 speed chains are stated as not reusable. That's a bit of a disappointment as I like to take the chain off for cleaning. Can they never be used to reconnected the chain once opened at all?

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Some people claim to reuse them without problems, but they are tight and require the use of quicklink pliers or similar to remove. Or the CTC technique with a rock if you are of the beard and sandal persuasion.

I've also read that the 11speed Wippermann links are genuinely reusable if you want a more robust option
  • I have used SRAM Powerlock and KMC repeatedly without issue, I still need to stamp on the peddle to connect them after about 10 repeats. You pay your money you take your chance, the next post will predict disaster if you attempt it, that's the way of the forum
  • JoostG
    JoostG Posts: 189
    I re-use them all the time. So far no issues at all. Can't see what would cause a problem.
  • LeeDa
    LeeDa Posts: 82
    Another one here for re-using. They do get a little sloppy after a few removals, then it's time to replace...or at least I do.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,585
    the wipperman connex 11-speed is designed to be reusable, fit/remove with just fingers, like kmc links up to 10-speed

but whether it's worth it does depend on how often you'll remove the chain as if you shop around you can buy four kmc 11-speed links (two packs of two links) for the price of a single connex 11-speed
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny