New wheelset question re cassette fit

1964johnr
1964johnr Posts: 179
edited February 2016 in Road beginners
Just ordered a set of Shimano R 501 wheels for my winter bike which is fitted throughout with Tiagra, including a 9 speed cassette. When I change the cassette over to the new wheel, should it be a straight forward swap or might there be a need for an extra spacer? anyone know. The new wheel is compatible with 8, 9 and 10 speed. Would also be interested in any other possible issues.

Comments

• If it's an 8,9 and 10 speed hub then it should be a straight swap, you only need an additional spacer if the wheel is 11 speed.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    +1 I can confirm that I have 9 speed Tiagra fitted to a R501 wheel on my wet weather bike and no spacer is required behind the cassette. (It needs the thin spacer if I fit a 10 speed 105 cassette)

No other issues that I'm aware of...

9 speed Tiagra and R501 are a reliable cheap combination for a winter bike :D
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    viewtopic.php?f=40101&t=12586223
    Remember to check that the RD aligns correctly with the high and low sprockets and adjust if necessary.
  • Thanks for the info, I had forgotten about the need for setting the H and L screws and indexing.