Urban Baggy with Road Lycra + Pad underneath?

wolfsbane2k
wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
edited February 2016 in Commuting general
Hi.

I've just noticed I've ripped through the lightweight slightly baggy plain beach style shorts that I've been using for the last 5+ years (almost daily since October), and looking for a replacement, primarily to keep the wind off, and to keep my modesty when off the bike walking around the office area until I can get changed.

My intention is to try and find a new set of urban cycling baggies (yes, brake a rule, sod it) to wear over my existing lycra style shorts with pads in the days that I don't use the provided liner, if I can find some in my size :roll:

Does anyone else do this? what's your experience of using baggies over "normal" lycra - aka using the lycra shorts as a base layer.

I've never got on with bibs due to my size/proportions, and can't justify spending out for 4 more baggy liners if I can help it, allowing me to maintain my single weekly cycling stuff wash.
Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The difference between liners and Lycra padded shorts is minimal, I only use Lycra shorts under my baggies, no issue.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I've still got a pair of Endura Humvee 3/4 shorts knocking about from ~2009, that came with clip-in padded lycra shorts. No idea if they are still made, but mine have lasted well, I often wear the shorts as casual wear.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo