rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
edited February 2016 in Pro race
Month to go!

Same route as last year:
https://www.strava.com/routes/2188405?hl=en-GB

cipressa.jpg?03

poggio.jpg?03

Kristoff's gotta be the favourite, by miles.

Comments

• Hard to see past Kristoff isn't it?

I had, shamefully, forgotten MSR existed in my cobble mania.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • rick_chasey
    I always enjoy it.

I probably have more patience with the nothing-happening-till-the-Poggio because it's early season but still.
  • I always enjoy it.

I probably have more patience with the nothing-happening-till-the-Poggio because it's early season but still.

I like it as well, the gentle build up that takes so long you don't notice its going crazy from about 70km to go.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Can anyone remember the last time that MSR lived up to expectations?

I mean it's still a massive race as the first monument of the year but everyone always seems really deflated when the inevitable bunch sprint takes place.
  • Milton50 wrote:
    Can anyone remember the last time that MSR lived up to expectations?

I mean it's still a massive race as the first monument of the year but everyone always seems really deflated when the inevitable bunch sprint takes place.

What's wrong with a bunch sprint after 300km?

It didn't live up to Fabian Cancellara's expectations that time Gerrans didn't buy him a bottle of wine. :D

@gietvangent
  • That poetic moment where it sweeps from the mountains down to the blue sea. I have my risotto with mint, peas and asparagus and sip my Gavi and swear a tear falls from the Madonna and I breathe my prayer - Please Lord don't let an Aussie win
    I know Spring has Sprunged. Springed. It's Spring somewhere.
    Milan-San-Remo-cliffs1.jpg
  • No helmets, what a time to be alive.

@gietvangent
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    No helmets, what a time to be alive.

Indeed. Clearly the UCI knew about motors in bikes and introduced helmets as a precautionary measure. :lol:

Sorry Rick

Is it too early for a Kelly descending clip?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    I know Spring has Sprunged. Springed. It's Spring somewhere.

bettiniphoto_0136861_1_full_670.jpg

love this race. I would swear 10 million hail marys for one last Cancellara win
  • rick_chasey

Indeed. Clearly the UCI knew about motors in bikes and introduced helmets as a precautionary measure. :lol:

Sorry Rick

Never.
  • No helmets, what a time to be alive.

Sorry Rick

What a question!!
  • tailwindhome

Sorry Rick

What a question!!

I don't know what I was thinking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL3jQmkj3uI

What was I thinking as I plummeted down the descent of the Poggio in pursuit of Moreno Argentin? Was I really a man possessed, as they said? Had I abandoned all thoughts for my safety? Did I care whether I ended up toppling over the low wall and shattering through the roof of one of the glasshouses below?

None of this mattered. I was thinking of winning, nothing else. I was going to give everything to catch Argentin and win the race. If I finished the day lying on my face among the tomato plants and shards of glass, so be it.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    I like MSR. Sprint finish it may often be, but there is plenty of action over the last hour or so as it builds up... the positioning, the attacks, the crashes, that climb and then the descent with someone inevitably overcooking it...

Kristoff is looking strong. Is Cav riding? I can see Qhubeka giving it a good crack...
  • rick_chasey
    We should bang our heads together to come up wit La Primavera bingo.

1 - Sean Kelly descent
    2 - Journey from winter to spring through the Turchino tunnel
    3 - climbers go on Cipress, punchers on the Poggio, sprinters on the via Roma
    4 - "it's a lottery"

Any more?
  • tailwindhome
    5 - Its too far for rider x
  • rick_chasey
    :lol:
  • Richmond Racer 2
    Richmond Racer 2 Posts: 4,698
    edited February 2016
    dish_dash wrote:
    I like MSR. Sprint finish it may often be, but there is plenty of action over the last hour or so as it builds up... the positioning, the attacks, the crashes, that climb and then the descent with someone inevitably overcooking it...

Kristoff is looking strong. Is Cav riding? I can see Qhubeka giving it a good crack...

Cav will be riding 3 days over the course of the Track Worlds, final day being Sun 6th

A bit tight schedule-wise for him to be competitive at MSR? Dunno

I think DD will ride for EBH
  • rick_chasey
    Has he given up on MSR?

It's the route he won on bar the final kink.
  • Has he given up on MSR?

It's the route he won on bar the final kink.

Rio more important to him this year than MSR. Which means Track Worlds are more important etc etc
  • rick_chasey
    Not that he should care, but his MSR win was when I started to REALLY consider him a great.

It's one thing knocking out bunch wins. It's another winning MSR.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725

Sorry Rick

What a question!!

I don't know what I was thinking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL3jQmkj3uI

What was I thinking as I plummeted down the descent of the Poggio in pursuit of Moreno Argentin? Was I really a man possessed, as they said? Had I abandoned all thoughts for my safety? Did I care whether I ended up toppling over the low wall and shattering through the roof of one of the glasshouses below?

None of this mattered. I was thinking of winning, nothing else. I was going to give everything to catch Argentin and win the race. If I finished the day lying on my face among the tomato plants and shards of glass, so be it.

You post that any time you like. One of my all time favourite race finishes.

I bloody LOVE Sean Kelly.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash wrote:

Cav will be riding 3 days over the course of the Track Worlds, final day being Sun 6th

A bit tight schedule-wise for him to be competitive at MSR? Dunno

I think DD will ride for EBH

Fair enough. Either way the team seem up for it... EBH seems the obvious if Cav isn't around but maybe Farrar :lol:
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    That poetic moment where it sweeps from the mountains down to the blue sea. I have my risotto with mint, peas and asparagus and sip my Gavi and swear a tear falls from the Madonna and I breathe my prayer - Please Lord don't let an Aussie win

That did nt get enough credit!

@RR - it would be a rather nice thing if EBH won...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ^It would it would

Results come & go but class remains etc etc
  • ^It would it would

Results come & go but class remains etc etc

And what class! Best rider since Merckx! :wink:

@gietvangent
  • dish_dash
    CS-May-Eddy-and-Eddy11.jpg

My search aslo threw this one up which amused me... Tom as the young Eddie
    eddyholland.jpg?maxheight=460&maxwidth=629&format=jpg
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash wrote:
    CS-May-Eddy-and-Eddy11.jpg

My search aslo threw this one up which amused me... Tom as the young Eddy
    eddyholland.jpg?maxheight=460&maxwidth=629&format=jpg