What book are you reading?

thekickingmule
thekickingmule Posts: 7,957
edited April 2016 in The Crudcatcher
I decided that for Lent, rather than give something up, I would take up reading instead.

I used to love reading, but I'm never able to 'find time' these days so I'm trying to force myself to read a chapter a day, it's more that I want to prove to myself that I do actually just waste my life online, when I could be doing other things.

So, I'm currently reading "I am Legend" by Richard Matheson. I'm about 6 chapters into it at the moment. I've not seen the film as I've been told they have very different endings, so I'm quite curious.

So, let's liven up the Crudcatcher and have a discussion...
It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
Blender Cube AMS Pro

Comments

• Playboy....

And currently some Trudi Canavan The Magician guild trilogy! most epic..

oh yeah and your mum of course
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Chocolate Mousse For Greedy Goose by Julia Donaldson
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    I'm re-reading Bleak House by Dickens.

It's my favourite book. Don't be put off by its length or that it's Dickens
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    I'm reading a whodunnit about a mole.
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    oodboo wrote:
    Chocolate Mousse For Greedy Goose by Julia Donaldson

And Goat Goes to Preschool, Stickman, Snail on the Tail of the Whale, Sharing a Shell, Skipping Rope Snake.......every f*****g night

Love it tho :D
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    I am bereft having just finished "As Chimney Sweepers Come to Dust" by Alan Bradley... book 7 of the Flavia de Luce stories. Not sure when the next one is published - 2017 I think. You have to love a mystery with an 11 year old protagonist who loves Chemistry (and in particular, poisons) and who rides a bike called Gladys, yelling "yaroo!". Some of the best stories I have ever read.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • Grey Wolf by Gerrard Williams and Simon Dunstan, great read so far and thought provoking. And Building Valve Amplifiers by Morgan Jones, good for info but I need the second edition, but valves are a little hobby of mine.

Would like to know if anyone can recommend a book on dark matter/science like a dummies version. Seen a few TV shows recently that use some good ways to explain it and I'd like to do some further reading.
  • oodboo
    I found Stephen Hawkin's A Brief History of Time good.

Strava
  • oodboo wrote:
    I found Stephen Hawkin's A Brief History of Time good.

Might be a bit too intellectual for me haha wanting something that has understandable analogies. Unless it does?
  • oodboo
    It's a long time since I read it but I found it easy to follow and understand. Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything was good bit as the title suggests it covers a lot of stuff.

Strava
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Then try the series - A very Short introduction. There is one on black holes and one on cosmology.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • Will order it, it's cheap enough. I find it interesting that you can prove(I forgot the name) 1+1=2 but when you look in to dark matter it's a whole new ball game.
  • FishFish
    Dark energy = the adittional oomph of inflation to accelerate the universe shortly after the BB
    Dark Matter = the difference needed to explain why galaxies rotate faster than they should given the sum total of observed matter in them.

• Ok, thanks for clearing that up. Told you I need a dummies guide. Think it is the dark matter side that I am interested in. The physics side. For example I could open the same door countless millions of times and always see the same thing on the other side but one time is different.

Excuse the basic analogy, but seen quite a few TV shows about it recently and it's tickled my fancy. The most recent was a BBC Horizon show about what is reality. Kept on hearing Dark Matter and would like to do some further reading on it that could explain it easily, if it exists?
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    The Hungry Caterpillar,seems to have alot of plot holes.
  • FishFish
    Ok, thanks for clearing that up. Told you I need a dummies guide. Think it is the dark matter side that I am interested in. The physics side. For example I could open the same door countless millions of times and always see the same thing on the other side but one time is different.

Excuse the basic analogy, but seen quite a few TV shows about it recently and it's tickled my fancy. The most recent was a BBC Horizon show about what is reality. Kept on hearing Dark Matter and would like to do some further reading on it that could explain it easily, if it exists?

Go to the BBC iPlayer and look up 'The Reith Lectures, They are being broadcast now by Stephen Hawking.

• They are already on the list to watch.

Had a look at my brothers books today, philosophy and body language for dummies....wtf hahahaha he can't be having that hard of a time with girls.
  • New book, just got from the brother.

50 Quantum Physics ideas you really need to know.
  • The Martian. Lots of science-y minutiae, which can be good or bad depending on your POV. Excellent movie adaption. The film may be better than the book but as usual I think it's better to read before see.
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    edited April 2016
    It's So Easy,and other lies Duff McKegan's Biography,sex drugs and rock n' roll,really enjoying it
  • DonBoogie wrote:
    The Martian. Lots of science-y minutiae, which can be good or bad depending on your POV. Excellent movie adaption. The film may be better than the book but as usual I think it's better to read before see.

Not always true depending on POV, I watched fear and loathing in las Vegas way before I read the book. Reading the book I had Johnny Depp narrating to me :)
  • thekickingmule
    Ok, I've finished "I am Legend". Great book! Really makes you think a few different times about various things. How would you react? Would you do what he does? etc. Some bits are obvious and not written excellently, but you forgive these moments for the truly brilliant ones.
    I need to see the film now to see how it differs.

So, next book, I've been reading the second Game of Thrones book for years. The problem being that each chapter is so long, it takes ages to read it, and I'm just not getting into it. I think I'll try something smaller.

I've got Howl's Moving Castle, so I'll start that tonight.
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • All the game of thrones books are awesome. A lot better than the to series which is pretty awesome in its own right.
    Have recently re-read 1984, brave new world, the Demon Cycle series by Peter V Brett (when's no 4 dammit?!) and can never go wrong with anything by David Gemmel
  • thekickingmule
    ng the second Game of Thrones book for years. The problem being that each chapter is so long, it takes ages to read it, and I'm just not getting into it. I think I'll try something smaller.

I've got Howl's Moving Castle, so I'll start that tonight.
    Yeah, I didn't start Howl's Moving Castle, but I am reading Lord of the Flies. I'm told it's a fantastic story. I'll soon find out...
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • Lord of the flies is great, if a little hard work at times!
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    So, next book, I've been reading the second Game of Thrones book for years. The problem being that each chapter is so long, it takes ages to read it, and I'm just not getting into it. I think I'll try something smaller.

GOT books disappointed me, prefer the tv show as its been rewritten by people with a clue.. essentially the ideas are good, but let down by the writing of a fat sweaty man, with average writing skills who has never been in a fight, or had sex.. and his desperation to experience these things colour the book IMO.

reading some Terry Brookes at the moment, right up my alley ;)
  • So, next book, I've been reading the second Game of Thrones book for years. The problem being that each chapter is so long, it takes ages to read it, and I'm just not getting into it. I think I'll try something smaller.

GOT books disappointed me, prefer the tv show as its been rewritten by people with a clue.. essentially the ideas are good, but let down by the writing of a fat sweaty man, with average writing skills who has never been in a fight, or had sex.. and his desperation to experience these things colour the book IMO.

reading some Terry Brookes at the moment, right up my alley ;)

Wow had no clue the books were like that...big fan of the show and was about to start reading the books. I'll have to take a peak for myself and see if they're even worth a read anymore...appreciate the feedback!
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,489
    I'm reading the Charly Wegelius book - Domestique - and enjoying it.
  • FishFish
    The Outrun by Amy Liprot. BBC recommended and I always make the over generous mistake of assuming I might like an introspective written by a woman. As usual I didn't! Sorry tale of a young woman who moves from the Orkneys to London and descends in to alcoholism Her story is about her recovery from alcoholism again back in the Scottish islands. Well written though.

• FishFish
    ...oh yes and gave my 12 year old a copy of Gerald Durrell's - My Family and Other Animals. I loved that book when I was his age.