Rachel - My Reilly 953

guym
guym Posts: 50
edited February 2016 in Your road bikes
So I'm not as young as I used to be and wanted something that would be nice and comfy and hopefully last me a good few years. Settled on a bespoke Reilly built with Reynolds 953,Dura Ace 9000 gruppo and wheels and Fizik finishing kit. The colour scheme is a nod to Aston Villa who I have followed since a lad. Always name my bikes, Rachel seemed like a good name for this lady.
rachel1_zpsrogm3rmt.jpg
953%2050_zpsdhs18old.jpg

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Nice bike. Sorry to hear about the Aston Villa link though. Thoughts are with you....
  • guym
    Imposter wrote:
    Nice bike. Sorry to hear about the Aston Villa link though. Thoughts are with you....

Thanks, not the best of times to be a Villa fan, just when you think it can get no worse it does, but hey it's in my blood and better times will come.
  • imposter2.0
    They definitely will. We'll see you at the Madejski next season... ;)
  • 'tis a beaut that is!
    (ditto the Villa sorrows)
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Lovely. I love a properly fitted bespoke frame.
  • Stunning bike, just lovely. Maybe change the name though? Rémi perhaps?
  • guym
    Stunning bike, just lovely. Maybe change the name though? Rémi perhaps?

Remi......I like it :D:D But have to stick with Rachel, it's not every man that gets to ride Rachel Reilly on a wet Sunday morning without his wife batting an eyelid :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
  • Nice bike,awful colourscheme, UP THE BLUES :D:D:D
  • Nicely done.

Condolences for the Villa.

See you at the Cottage next year!
    BikeRadar Communities Manager
  • guym
    Blue64 wrote:
    Nice bike,awful colourscheme, UP THE BLUES :D:D:D
    VTID :D:D:D
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Bought from the Doug Ellis catalogue? :lol:

Lovely bike mate. Enjoy!
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Very nice frame; I like the graphics (which I assume are the polished 953 showing through).

Can't help feeling that the DA9000 and C24s don't quite work, though. Needs a more classic look. Hard to do anything about the groupset without adding weight, though - only 11-speed Athena (in polished alloy) would look right in a modern gruppo, in my view. Wheels you could have something built using H+Sons with silver spokes and a nice polished hub (anything from a cheapish Zenith up to CK R45s).

Fear I'm not helping. I have no idea what the Aston Villa stuff is about, but you have my commiserations for whatever it is.
  • PhilPub
    PhilPub Posts: 229
    As someone with a classic steel frame and modern gruppo, I actually think Dura Ace works very well on this, components and wheels. I discounted Shimano on aesthetic grounds a few years ago (and went with SRAM Force) but both the cranks and the levers have got significantly better looking with the latest iteration IMO, and I bet it all works brilliantly.
    And I'm a Millwall fan, so pretty neutral on the Villa thing, but it's a nice colour scheme anyway! 8)
  • Looks great - I really like the colours, even if the Villains are currently imploding!

I have a custom 853 made by Rourkes last year, and that has red, white and black for a certain North west footballing leviathan - who are going through a 'lean period', although nothing compared to what you're going through! I hope you stay up, but I can't see it to be honest.

By the way, if it's Rachel Reilly, then it'll be a United fan surely? Anyroad, a lovely looking bike, and I bet there's not much weight to it, even if it is steel - mine (with Sram Force) is lighter than my Spesh Roubaix. Enjoy!
  • pliptrot
    pliptrot Posts: 582
    I infer from your post that you don't race (?). Are those tubs you are using?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Lovely bike and a marvellously understated paint job. Must be quite invigorating throwing your leg over Rachel Reilly in the morning?
  • imposter2.0
    pliptrot wrote:

Those wheels are C24 clinchers, so no, they're not tubs.
  • imposter2.0
    keef66 wrote:
    Lovely bike and a marvellously understated paint job. Must be quite invigorating throwing your leg over Rachel Reilly in the morning?

Or the afternoon, or evening, or indeed any other time of the day...
  • guym
    964Cup wrote:
    Very nice frame; I like the graphics (which I assume are the polished 953 showing through).

Can't help feeling that the DA9000 and C24s don't quite work, though. Needs a more classic look. Hard to do anything about the groupset without adding weight, though - only 11-speed Athena (in polished alloy) would look right in a modern gruppo, in my view. Wheels you could have something built using H+Sons with silver spokes and a nice polished hub (anything from a cheapish Zenith up to CK R45s).

Fear I'm not helping. I have no idea what the Aston Villa stuff is about, but you have my commiserations for whatever it is.
    I know what you're saying, a fully silver coloured crankset would look well, but none of the high end gruppo's come that way. I did look into handbuilt wheels but decided in the end to match with the groupset. Might go for some in a few years time.
  • guym
    PhilPub wrote:
    As someone with a classic steel frame and modern gruppo, I actually think Dura Ace works very well on this, components and wheels. I discounted Shimano on aesthetic grounds a few years ago (and went with SRAM Force) but both the cranks and the levers have got significantly better looking with the latest iteration IMO, and I bet it all works brilliantly.
    And I'm a Millwall fan, so pretty neutral on the Villa thing, but it's a nice colour scheme anyway! 8)
    Thanks for the comments, first time with DA and it does work fantastically....smooth as silk :D
  • guym
    keef66 wrote:
    Invigorating is right.......not sure whether Rachel feels the same way about the pleasantly plump near 50yr old straddling her though :lol::lol:
  • guym
    pliptrot wrote:
    Not tubs.....Vittoria Open Corsa's
  • When footballers didn't look like millionaires

150109130819-aston-villa-european-cup-1982-super-169.jpg
    left the forum March 2023
  • guym
    When footballers didn't look like millionaires

150109130819-aston-villa-european-cup-1982-super-169.jpg

Those were the days, 1982, Alan Evans & Denis Mortimer I think. I remember being disgusted that my parents would not allow me (a spotty little obnoxious 15yr old at the time) to travel to Rotterdam with my mates to see the final :(