New GoPro and old footage

mtb-idle
mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
edited June 2016 in Your pics and vids
So I've had the mk 1 HD Hero since February 2010 and absolutely loved it. The only downsides were that it was a bit heavy compared to the later versions and it also didn't have any low light compensation but these were minor irritants.

Anyroad up, the mk1 drowned in a massive thunderstorm when i was following the Tour de France in the French Alps last July (I had the open backed case on and the case filled up with water).

So I finally took the plunge and ordered myself a GoPro Hero 4 Session which turned up in the post last night.

Not had a chance to get out and test it yet (it turned up without a memory card) but the arrival prompted me to edit the last of the footage I had left over from my MTB trip to Morzine and the Porte du soleil region in July 2015.

:arrow: Ride on!

hope you like it 8)
FCN = 4

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Nice.
    I think a summer visit to the Alps for mountain biking is a must for me.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • mtb-idle
    cheers JBA.

Finally got a chance to test the new GoPro Session 4 when my saddle rail mount turned up from eBay.

Okay, so it's road riding (my daily commute to work) but the quality is superb. Here's last Friday's cycle commute. a nice 18 miler from the leafy 'burbs of Surrey thru various urban hell-holes to Canary Wharf filmed in crazy reverse cam.

Friday

I also used GoPro Studio to edit it, my first attempt using this editor. I couldn't work out how to add titles but other than that it was fairly straightforward if a little limited in functionality.

Here's a couple of screen grabs too using the wifi on my phone. These aren't even stills, they are just grabs from the footage.

12-02-2016_03.jpg

12-02-2016_05.jpg
    FCN = 4
  • Good video the Ride On one! I keep looking at GoPro, the Hero4 Silver in particular, what made you go for the session in the end?

Cheers
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • mtb-idle
    Thanks Mitch, glad you liked the first vid.

Preference for the session was down to a few things really:

Price - at just 150 quid it's great value
    Functionality - having had the mark 1 since 2010 and using it a lot I know that the settings on offer are more than enough on the session. I'm producing videos for my mates that get squashed down to go on YouTube or some other host. I don't need 4K TV quality and the more buttons and options I have the more confused I get
    Size - compared to the Mk 1 the session is tiny. I know from riding around with the mark 1 on my lid that it gives me neck ache especially if it's off centre so size was important

31-01-2016_07.jpg
    FCN = 4
  • JBA
    Hmmm. I am really tempted to get a Session as a back up to my Hero4 Black, especially now the price has come down so much.

Have a look on You Tube for 'GoPro Tips and Tricks'. A guy called Kyle Martin has uploaded some useful guides to using GoPro Studio. This is a good starting point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEBe6hVXXHA

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Thanks guys, that does make allot of sense, maybe a session is all I need :)
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • mtb-idle
    and here's the evening video! Okay, so it's the same as the morning video but in reverse but I shot it to test the low light level quality of the GoPro Session 4 and guess what? Yes,it's superb.

There was only one choon that was ever going to be used for this too:

Knight Rider

Hope you like it. Oh and I worked out how to do the titles and fade in from/away to black at the start and end 8)

Plus my new GoPro handlebar mount was waiting for me when I got home last night, forward facing with Garmin mount incorporated.
    FCN = 4
  • Looks good, best deal I have found is Currys online for £159, I can get a further 8% off using a reward discount card I have, which sounds pretty good unless you know of a better price than that?
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • mtb-idle
    I got it from Amazon for the same price - handy as I had some gift vouchers so it effectively cost me zero. It doesn't come with a memory card so remember to get one of those too
    FCN = 4
  • 32g?
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • mtb-idle
    Session takes up to 64GB. I bought this Lexar class 10 64GB

EDIT: and these screen protectors
    FCN = 4
  • JBA
    I was outside Curry's in Cardiff at 9 o'clock this morning.
    I now own a Hero 4 Session!

Damn you, MTB-Idle! :wink:

• mtb-idle
    congrats. Don't forget, if you need mounts etc. then just buy the cheap ones on eBay, don't pay full whack for the GoPro badged stuff.

I look forward to seeing some edited highlights from you.
    FCN = 4
  • JBA
    Went out for a spin around Cwmcarn this afternoon with my son and one of his mates and gave the Session a try.
    So far so good. I'm impressed with the image quality and the sound is better than the Hero4, I think.

Will try and get an edit finished later but here are a few image grabs taken from the raw video:

Tom%20Jump%201_zps39jxsfxv.jpg

Tom%20Jump%203_zpswjx4o7oy.jpg

Iwan%20Jump%203_zpssce4hij9.jpg

Iwan%20Jump%205_zps5eh88dq9.jpg

Iwan%20Jump%204_zpsxyrlac6t.jpg

• mtb-idle
    nice quality shots
    FCN = 4
  • Cheers for that, will hopefully have made a purchase soon!
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • mtb-idle
    was hunting around the internet for an old/broken GoPro mark 1 HD Hero to see if i could cannibalise it to fix mine. It appears that quite often when GoPro's 'drown' (which seems to happen quite a lot) it's just the battery that is fubar'd.

So went around to a mates today who has a Mk2 (same battery) and hey presto! It works. So will pick up two new batteries from Ebay for the princely sum of £6 quid and have that as a back up GoPro.
    FCN = 4
  • Pay day and Ive pulled the pin on a Hero 4 Session...... online through Curry's! To say im excited would be an understatement!
    Prepare for a selection of poorly edited youtube videos of my below average riding! :)
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • JBA
    Nice one, BigMitch41.

Download the GoPro Studio software and check out the guide videos on YouTube so you will avoid the frustration of not having a clue how to edit. 8)

Oh, and don't forget to buy a decent memory card. See the GoPro website for a list of recommended cards.
    I use Lexar 633X and haven't had any problems.

• Cheers JBA, I went for the Lexar Class 10 64gb that MTB Idle recommended, and a selection of cheap mounts including the chest and wrist straps from Amazon, everything has arrived except the GoPro, hopefully it will be waiting for me when i get home tonight!
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • mtb-idle
    Here's a video I shot on the GoPro Session 4 on Sunday. Okay, so it's road riding but there's a selection of views shot from a saddle rail (rear facing) mount, the front facing mount and selfie stick as well as a couple of shots with the GoPro resting on an upturned plastic bucket (the 'garage' shots - you will have to watch the vid to understand).

Every Day is a Winding Road

Hope you like it
    FCN = 4
  • JBA
    Nice vid.

How have you got around the copyright issue using the song?
    Every time I add a music track to a video either FaceBook or YouTube give me a slap.

• JBA
    Here's the edit from Cwmcarn.
    It's not a great one. Just a quickie to see how the Session performs.

• mtb-idle
    JBA wrote:
    Nice vid.

How have you got around the copyright issue using the song?
    Every time I add a music track to a video either FaceBook or YouTube give me a slap.

Thanks JBA, glad you liked it. I too got a slap from facebook or youtube or Vimeo on previous vids so I just hosted it on Pinkbike instead!

No doubt they will catch up with the others eventually...
    FCN = 4
  • bigmitch41
    bigmitch41 Posts: 685
    Good vids! My'n arrived yesterday so im testing it out on todays work commute, this morning on a rear facing seat post mount, i'll try a different position on my homeward journey later today. Im out on the mtb tomorrow so hopefully capture something a little more interesting, so far im using 1080p 60fp's with protune off, will see how that turns out. :)
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • mtb-idle
    Great to finally get out today (my first MTB ride of the year) as about ten days of dry weather has allowed the trails to recover. Single figures temp wise but the sun was warm and the Surrey Hills were riding well

Nice 'n Sleazy

Enjoy
    FCN = 4
  • mtb-idle
    I've been on holiday this week and managed to get out on the MTB over in the Surrey Hills. Trails were a bit sloppy but at least it was mild and sunny

Blister in the Sun

Hope you like it
    FCN = 4
  • JBA
    Like. 8)

• bigmitch41
    bigmitch41 Posts: 685
    Brilliant ha ha, editing skills too!
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • mtb-idle
    cheers chaps, glad you liked it :D

I've made dozens of vids in the past with varying levels of success. A lot of them are just riding but my focus at the moment is to try to give the vids a beginning, middle and end hence the breakfast and 'shower scene' in the one above.

Here's another one that I did recently (yeah, sorry it's another road video but it's along the same format and hopefully is enjoyable).

Tomorrow Will Do

anyone got any suggestions for future scenes I could try to create?
    FCN = 4