LED lights - how to fit if clip/mount to wide?

Mortsty
Mortsty Posts: 18
edited February 2016 in Commuting general
Morning all,

I wish to get my bicycle trailer visible in the dark and well lit up so I have purchased some reflective tape, few reflectors and some LED lights. Trouble with the LED lights is that the mounts/clips (or what ever you call them) are too wide even when fully tightened to fit onto the trailer bars and so will inevitable move around whilst its moving.

I was wondering if there is anything I can purchase/make to eliminate the extra space and make them more tight fitting on the bike trailer?

Thank you for your time and help,

Samuel

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Wrap some electrical tape round the trailer's frame to make it thick enough for the mount to clamp to - simple.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Mortsty wrote:
    Morning all,

I wish to get my bicycle trailer visible in the dark and well lit up so I have purchased some reflective tape, few reflectors and some LED lights. Trouble with the LED lights is that the mounts/clips (or what ever you call them) are too wide even when fully tightened to fit onto the trailer bars and so will inevitable move around whilst its moving.

I was wondering if there is anything I can purchase/make to eliminate the extra space and make them more tight fitting on the bike trailer?

Samuel

How narrow is the bar? Have you looked at the Lezyne Strip Drive?
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Mortsty wrote:
    Morning all,

Samuel

Quite a few bicycle accessories come with widgets to make wide clamps fit narrow tubes: d-lock, exposure lights, crudcatcher mud-guard, some bells etc. - you got any of these? Root around and see if you kept any of the bits that came with them - otherwise per above; lecky tape for narrow gain, old innertube for a bit more gain in width, old tyre pieces (two pieces like brackets around tube) for even more gain.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    zip tie or use some £1 shop velcro arm bands with built in LEDs. The button cells last ages.
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    I had the same problem with a pannier, wanting to mount lights on approx. 4 mm upstands.
    Took an old wood brush handle I had drilled a 4mm hole all the way down the middle, then sawed one side through to the middle with it in a vice, but left the top of it (approx. 1 cm ) uncut. Wedged it over the upstand.
    Since the upstand was slightly wider than then drill down the middle, it was a slightly tight fit. With the screw/bolt tightened light strap, makes sure it stays together.

Yes, I've now got something that sits ever so slightly proud of the top of the pannier on one side, but not enough to bother me.

Cover with coloured reflective tape, and you've got another almost 360 degree coverage reflector.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...