Nearly got knocked off my bicycle - wish to purchase a camera to attach to my bicycle

Mortsty
Mortsty Posts: 18
edited February 2016 in Commuting general
Morning all,

Week ago I was riding home from work late at night and I nearly had a collision with some boy racer type who for some strange reason decided the proper lane he should be in wasn't enough and he wanted to be in my lane. As usual I had my reflective jacket on and lights. He nearly collided with me head (he was going way too fast!) if I wasn't lucky enough to do a quick right.

After this experience I am deciding to purchase a gopro or something similar to attach to either my helmet, my front handlebars or my bicycle trailer just incase I may have to use the film footage for something.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice/tips as I have no clue in this area of interest.

Thank you for your time and help,

Samuel

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I don't think a camera will stop them knocking you off somehow.....so why do you want one?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Have you read about this case?
    viewtopic.php?f=40012&t=13043603

Footage does not always help the victim.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • phills
    phills Posts: 68
    The quality of most of the cameras at night really isn't great. I have a GoPro Hero Black 3+, a Hero 4 Session, a Hero 3 White and a Garmin Virb (mostly for recording rides by the river for pleasure) and none of these would be able to pick out a number plate at night. The glare from headlights/rear lights/street lamps and the reflection of the number plate itself just make it near impossible. You would be able to see the type of car and possibly the colour and the incident itself but that's about it. Not sure if the Hero Black 4 or new Garmin is any better but at £300 to 400 it's an expensive experiment. I do love cameras for pleasure though, especially summer rides in nice surroundings!
  • Personally I'd prefer a rocket launcher...
    Carrera Subway 2015
    Boardman Hybrid Team 2014
  • The last thing you should be considering is a camera. Think whether the roads you use are safe or you could use safer routes... play defensively, rather than playing the aggressive card. Once you are under a bonnet, you are statistics... footage or not
    left the forum March 2023
  • phills
    phills Posts: 68
    Not all accidents are fatal so I think there is a place for sport cameras on the commute. If you are knocked off the last thing on your mind is jotting down a number plate so it could be useful as a third eye to absorb the details if the driver decides to make a run for it rather than stop. I'd like to think its unlikely but sadly happens. It can also show what was occurring before and after the accident. For a relatively small outlay and a small amount of hassle charging it every day, it's worth it for some people. Also great for strapping to your kids when out and about, or the dog... For me though it is skipping back to summer rides in the midst of winter to remind me of those good times.