Pave is coming...

Richmond Racer 2
Richmond Racer 2 Posts: 4,698
edited March 2016 in Pro race
I am getting #excite

little vid courtesy of The Lion and Kristoff Ramon....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyjHGxUGh0A&sns=em

Comments

• Gent is festooned in promotional posters for Omloop featuring an Ian Stannard death grimace.

Perversely, I'm heading to the Ardennes this weekend for my last rides before the cobbled cyclo season begins.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Gent is festooned in promotional posters for Omloop featuring an Ian Stannard death grimace.

Perversely, I'm heading to the Ardennes this weekend for my last rides before the cobbled cyclo season begins.

Now I wanna see a pic of Stannard Death Grimace poster!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    Presumably it's this?

c20c8d296bf762d4e29504c5a05222013ade3818.jpg
  • I'll try and get a picture for you. Flanders Classics are terrible at putting their publicity on their website.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Lousy Rick.

@gietvangent
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Pah! The racing has started in earnest this week, Oman is the first decent race, Sol and Algarve too. I'm not one of those who thinks it all starts with Omloop tbh.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Rick's trying to suppress this image.
    tumblr_nkiwblzIE21ropreyo1_1280.jpg
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Joelsim wrote:
    Pah! The racing has started in earnest this week, Oman is the first decent race, Sol and Algarve too. I'm not one of those who thinks it all starts with Omloop tbh.

And that's fine.

This thread is for those who are excited about the weekend after next

Plenty of other threads around. Plenty.
  • Macaloon wrote:
    Rick's trying to suppress this image.
    tumblr_nkiwblzIE21ropreyo1_1280.jpg

Oh, Maca. You gone done it now
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Joelsim wrote:

And that's fine.

This thread is for those who are excited about the weekend after next

Plenty of other threads around. Plenty.

You're right sausage. :D
  • OHN's classics special out this week too. Every copy sold comes with a free bottle of Kwaremont and, possibly of more interest to Rick, a picture of Tommeke covered in mud on the cover.

@gietvangent
  • OHN's classics special out this week too. Every copy sold comes with a free bottle of Kwaremont and, possibly of more interest to Rick, a picture of Tommeke covered in mud on the cover.

a free bottle of Kwaremont?? Oh to be in Belgium....
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Anyone know the timings? Assume it'll be on Eurosport.

Planning a cobbled ride in the morning* (maybe some bridleways too as we only have one cobbled section really) then watching Omloop in the afternoon. Excited.

*Ride may be subject to hangover - last day in my current job on the 26th...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    bobmcstuff wrote:

Planning a cobbled ride in the morning* (maybe some bridleways too as we only have one cobbled section really) then watching Omloop in the afternoon. Excited.

Usually isn't on Eurosport.

Timings will be usual. Start watching at 1:30 -2ish till 4-4:30.
  • last year live coverage started at 1330 CET, after 2 hours of Sporza chat with Planckaert and Nuyens. It'll be live on the Sporza website if you can use a DNS blocker or somesuch to fool it into thinking you're in Belgium. Real action starts with about 60 to go on the Taaienberg.

@gietvangent
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff wrote:

Usually isn't on Eurosport.

Timings will be usual. Start watching at 1:30 -2ish till 4-4:30.

You're right the schedule for next Sat is all skiing. Nuts.

I assume there will be some dodgy feeds knocking about.
  • Great shot

12717246_10153983482783436_7336965886697485097_n.jpg?oh=47b01e04d3086d9bb27775362013a989&oe=57641E5B
  • I'm going down to the start to try and get some photos for all you lovely people and hopefully say hi to Richard Moore. Then high-tail it back to Merelbeke to watch it go past the end of the road. Then back into Gent to watch on TV at a clubmates house with some pancakes.

This way I get to see cycling and avoid listening to Nick Nuyens.

@gietvangent
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    I'm sure I saw something suggesting that we would be getting some live coverage of the lesser cobble races on the new (and generally pointless at the moment) "Bike" channel that launched on Sky at the end of last year.
  • bobmcstuff
    squired wrote:
    I'm sure I saw something suggesting that we would be getting some live coverage of the lesser cobble races on the new (and generally pointless at the moment) "Bike" channel that launched on Sky at the end of last year.

Nothing on their site http://www.bikechannel.co.uk/en/tv-guid ... 2016-02-27
  • bobmcstuff wrote:
    squired wrote:

Nothing on their site http://www.bikechannel.co.uk/en/tv-guid ... 2016-02-27
    Looks like they have two hours of highlights on the following day.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    OHN's classics special out this week too. Every copy sold comes with a free bottle of Kwaremont and, possibly of more interest to Rick, a picture of Tommeke covered in mud on the cover.

I wish I'd have been born in Belgium.
  • Milton50 wrote:
    OHN's classics special out this week too. Every copy sold comes with a free bottle of Kwaremont and, possibly of more interest to Rick, a picture of Tommeke covered in mud on the cover.

And you get free Kwaremont with your OHN special.... :cry:
  • Milton50 wrote:

And you get free Kwaremont with your OHN special.... :cry:

You could buy a sixer of Kwaremont in Lidl, stare at Iljo eating a leek, buy a leek and still have change from the price of the Het Nieuwsblad special. And then you'd have six beers.

@gietvangent
  • Eurosport have usually shown KBK on the Sunday, but as noted not OHN on the Saturday. Which does seem to be the wrong way round in terms of action given KBK is usually a bunch sprint.

It's all great tho - building up to the big daddy of bonkers-ness, Paris Roubaix.
  • I'd still be watching the Sporza feed, only making out the occasional all-purpose no-Flemish-required 'Ay ay ay!', 'risky business' etc
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    I actually like listening to the Sporza commentary trying to make out the odd word here and there. Plus I'd rather have silence than Kirby.
  • I'd still be watching the Sporza feed, only making out the occasional all-purpose no-Flemish-required 'Ay ay ay!', 'risky business' etc

Wat een beer is Ian Stannard!

@gietvangent
  • The muur van Geraadsbergen gets itself into a 3rd race for the year, the 3 Days of De Panne. It will also feature in Omloop and the Eneco tour.

@gietvangent
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,550
    Pave

Just one word needed to make me feel like the season has really started.

Pave
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.