Women's Hybrid Bike Advice Please!!

lau84
lau84 Posts: 3
edited January 2017 in Women
Hello!
Pretty new to cycling but want to take it up for leisure/fitness purposes. I will be mainly riding either on roads (on the way to cycling tracks) or cycle trails but may go off-track (though not likely to go on bumpy tracks). I've found 2 bikes which I think would be suitable. I'm after something quite lightweight and with front suspension which i can 'lock-out' if i'm riding on roads. Please could you let me know your thoughts as to the two bikes i've narrowed it down to? Any advice appreciated! My budget is £250-£300.
Many thanks, Laura.

Giant Liv Rove 3 2015
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bik ... 224/77397/

Raleigh Misceo 1.0 Women's
http://www.raleigh.co.uk/ProductType/Pr ... 0&pg=13070

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Is there a reason for wanting a low tube 'step through' bike rather than a conventional frame?

Neither are particularly good value, also at this price point the women's specific bikes suffer on value more than men's bikes.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • lau84
    lau84 Posts: 3
    Hi, thanks for your reply! Not really any reason, only that I'm 5ft 4 so quite short legs! Just wondered which brands I should be looking at at my price point.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    There are some good hybrid offerings from Decathlon in your price range, excellent value.

My daughter is shorter than you but has always used a conventional frame.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I wouldn't worry about being able to lock-out the forks when you're cycling on the roads - I absolutely NEVER do - you still have drains and undulations on the road. I don't even (always) lock-out the rear suspension on my Scott Genius when I'm on roads...
  • Not to mention that women, in general, have longer legs than men and shorter torsos, so you could probably get away with a mens' bike quite easily. As long as you can reach the handlebars you should be fine on a mens' bike...
  • oxoman wrote:
    Oops another old post resurrected nearly a year on. Why?

Because the topic remains current? Because it might still be useful to new riders? Or because it's there? :wink: