Long legs Short torso

kjcoltrin
kjcoltrin Posts: 2
edited February 2016 in Commuting general
5'5" inseam 31.25
Purchased Trek WSD 7.4fx 15" too small (seat angle 75)
Returned the following day...
Dealer trying to coerce into taking Trek 7.4fx 17.5" vs refund.
Bike just feels too big.keep wanting to sit back on saddle but then cant reach bars.
Raced/ Road Santa Cruz Superlight (s) for 12 years perfect fit.
Mathematically it juat seems impossible to fit a 5'5"rider on at 17.5" bike (STA 74.5, HT 12, TT54.8) unless I have Goriila arms.
Suggestions?
I am really frustrated with treatment at this shop and truthfully want a refund.
Thanks

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Swap the setback seatpost for an inline, will shorten the cockpit by 20-25mm, move the saddle forward to the marks, simples.

That said, a shorter torso needs a shorter frame, but with your build you would have ended with very low bars, so its possible a tweaked 17.5 was a better option than trying to make a 15.5 fit.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    If you are unhappy with a bike when it is brand new and sparkling then I would get your money back if you can (was it face to face in the shop? does the shops t&c mention anything?) . Even if you buy a very similar bike later on you will avoid that sour taste in the mouth that you were slightly forced into a decision (even if wholly correct) that you didn't want.

Additionally think about springing the cash for a bike fit - I really enjoyed the whole thing and it sorted several nagging knee problems out. Personally I used Condor in N London - but I would hope that any reputable firm will do a good service.