Your custom built bikes

SpeedyMcBride
SpeedyMcBride Posts: 8
edited February 2016 in Your road bikes
I'm in the middle of my first custom build which the frame is a Kuota Kuraro.
So just out of interest, anyone want to share their road bikes? (Spec, weight, photographs)
:D

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    How do you mean by custom built - as in bespoke frame designed and built one off (English etc) or a frame that you've bought then fitted all the bits you want?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    I suspect a large number (possibly even a majority) of bikes on this forum already fit into the 'custom' category...
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    You could claim fitting a bottle cage makes a bike custom if you took it to the nth degree. Is my Kinesis custom? I don't think so, it's an off the peg frame that I built up as I saw fit and have tweeked along the way. Same with my Cotic. I probably won't see another identical bike, but I'll see many that are very similar.
  • Matthewfalle
    Imposter wrote:
    I suspect a large number (possibly even a majority) of bikes on this forum already fit into the 'custom' category...

I know that all of mine do - haven't owned a "standard" bike for about 20 years .......

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Imposter wrote:

I know that all of mine do - haven't owned a "standard" bike for about 20 years .......

Without sounding like a club rider, I only buy frames and then build up from there - nothing to do with trying to be unique, it just means that I can get the bike I want at the time using either bits I already have or massively discounted.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    Imposter wrote:

Without sounding like a club rider, I only buy frames and then build up from there - nothing to do with trying to be unique, it just means that I can get the bike I want at the time using either bits I already have or massively discounted.

Same
  • jrich
    jrich Posts: 278
    Obviously the good fellow means a bike whose parts you have meticulously selected and put together yourself, not a custom built frame. After all, he has mentioned in the first line of his post that he is using a standard frame himself!

So, less chitter chatter and more bike photos are needed. Here's mine. It successfully divided opinion last time. Many will be pleased to hear that the Rasta bar tape has since worn out and been replaced by black and the deep wheels were obviously removed at the first sign of winter. The stem has also come down and I've swapped it for a -17 degree version.

854.jpg
  • Matthewfalle
    See vintage bikes for one of mine. The other 6 stay under wraps as its too cold to go outside.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • jrich wrote:
    Obviously the good fellow means a bike whose parts you have meticulously selected and put together yourself, not a custom built frame. After all, he has mentioned in the first line of his post that he is using a standard frame himself!

So, less chitter chatter and more bike photos are needed. Here's mine. It successfully divided opinion last time. Many will be pleased to hear that the Rasta bar tape has since worn out and been replaced by black and the deep wheels were obviously removed at the first sign of winter. The stem has also come down and I've swapped it for a -17 degree version.

854.jpg

Loving the colour coordination. Is that the Zion colour scheme bar tape from Supacaz? I'm a big fan of their products!
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    is that a super rare carbon dura ace crankset!?
  • jrich
    jrich Posts: 278
    Yes and yes again.

I found the Supercaz tape too thick and spongy to be honest, but I love the colours!
  • I actual prefer that feeling, I hated the thin feeling of my original tapes, don't like feeling the handlebars as such. The roads in my area too can be worse than the worst so another +1 for me.

I have the neon blue for my Claud Butler Trieste, helps the bike stick out a bit since the colour scheme is mostly grey

I bought the black and red dual colour tape for the Kuraro.
    Will post the finished bike photo at some point
  • This was my custom build. I never got on with it so much, so I sold it. With the proceeds, I bought my TCR.

19669977650_9cf59b3ecb_c.jpg
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • guym
    guym Posts: 50
    jrich wrote:

854.jpg

Nice build, a lot of thought gone into that.......not sure on the bar tape though, a wee bit garish.
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    My PX Pro Carbon, Ultegra SL 6650 build with 6700 shifters. Nothing fancy but it's been a great bike for 5 years or son now, soon to be semi retired as some parts will be used for new summer build. This will be rebuilt with some tiagra parts I have lying around and kept as a backup bike and for lending out when friends come up etc....

dGhcryP.jpg
  • IMG_0483_zps4vjcsvpd.jpg
  • 20160223_100945_zpskrtbfiqa.jpg
    Specialized Tarmac Elite SL2 56 cm
    Deda 35 superleggara carbon handlebar and steem
    Deda superleggerro seatpost
    Prologo nago evo nack cpc saddle
    Campy record 2015
    Campy bullet ultra cult 50mm wheelset
    with new tyre vottoria corsa G+
    7,42 kilograms
  • Matthewfalle
    79543dean wrote:
    IMG_0483_zps4vjcsvpd.jpg

Oooooh - I like this a lot. It's lovely.Give it me now, as they in my neck of the moors. Pleeeeeeeeaaaaassssseeeeeeee.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    My all rounder:

bf_thumb1.jpg
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach