Schwalbe Winters - Spikes Causing Punctures?

seajays
seajays Posts: 331
edited February 2016 in Commuting chat
Has anyone else had a problem with Schwalbe Winter spiked tyres, where the spikes start to press through the inside of the tyres, causing wear spots on the inner tube (and eventually punctures)?

Mine seems to be doing that, and you can actually see holes on the inside of the tyre itself where the spikes have broken through. You can also see definite marks all along the inner tube where the pressure points are.

I do leave them on over winter time, and this is their second year, but still a bit disappointed that they've managed to push through - the outer tyre is still good!
Cannondale CAADX Tiagra 2017
Revolution Courier Race Disc '14
My Strava

Comments

• Seajays wrote:
    Has anyone else had a problem with Schwalbe Winter spiked tyres, where the spikes start to press through the inside of the tyres, causing wear spots on the inner tube (and eventually punctures)?

Mine seems to be doing that, and you can actually see holes on the inside of the tyre itself where the spikes have broken through. You can also see definite marks all along the inner tube where the pressure points are.

I do leave them on over winter time, and this is their second year, but still a bit disappointed that they've managed to push through - the outer tyre is still good!

Annoying, talk to Schwalbe UK and see if this is a common problem
    left the forum March 2023
  • Not used the regular Winters, but my spiked tyres have always been fine. The latest ones I use Panaracer Flataways inside to guard against the fairy. Maybe they'd help in this case too?
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    It's not particularly surprising, but I can see it'd be pretty annoying - fortunately hasn't happened with mine yet.

I wonder how much of a factor tyre pressure is in this happening - I always keep mine pretty high?

There is of course a ghetto solution - boot where the studs have pushed through, or (and I've heard of people doing this but never tried it) take an old worn tyre, cut off the beads, put that inside the schwalbe winter as a kind of liner, then mount the Winter as usual.

That really would take winter training up to a whole new level!

To be fair, they aren't massively expensive to replace - might just be time to do that if warranty is a non-starter.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Not used the regular Winters, but my spiked tyres have always been fine. The latest ones I use Panaracer Flataways inside to guard against the fairy. Maybe they'd help in this case too?
    That sounds a lot better than using an old tyre :D
  • Hmmm, I had a slow puncture opposite side of the tube to the valve the other day but couldn't feel anything odd about the inside of the carcass and couldn't see what had caused it, but I'm now wondering if it was related to this...
  • This would be disappointing! Especially as the tyre weighs nearly 1kg.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • seajays
    TimothyW wrote:
    There is of course a ghetto solution - boot where the studs have pushed through, or (and I've heard of people doing this but never tried it) take an old worn tyre, cut off the beads, put that inside the schwalbe winter as a kind of liner, then mount the Winter as usual.

Yeah - that's what I did the first time with a bit of old inner tube, but another two punctures in two weeks on both front and rear - both caused by the spikes wear on the inner tube inside. I'd have to line both tyres completely!

I've contact Schwalbe support and see what they say. :(
    My Strava
  • seajays
    Schwalbe have come back and said it shouldn't have happened and have advised getting in touch with the retailer (Wiggle), so I've opened a case with them. They were purchased in 2014 though, so we'll see what happens!
    My Strava
  • Ah, mine are only a month or so old so I'd be surprised if this was the cause on mine already.
  • I was going to give the "smart Alec" reply of it being a sign to go tubeless, but looking at the Schwalbe site, the only studded tyre that appears to be tubeless is the Ice Spiker Pro snakeskin 26"! :shock:

http://www.schwalbe.com/gb/spike-reader ... r-pro.html
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Ah - the Ice Spiker Pro - the King of winter tyres. Give me a set of those any day b
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Ah - the Ice Spiker Pro - the King of winter tyres. Give me a set of those any day b
    You know what you said about me commenting on lights threads? :twisted:

I didn't raise the point on the thread though - I just saw a gap and went for it :lol::wink:

I didn't raise the point on the thread though - I just saw a gap and went for it :lol::wink:

Just need a thread with both....
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Seajays wrote:
    Schwalbe have come back and said it shouldn't have happened and have advised getting in touch with the retailer (Wiggle), so I've opened a case with them. They were purchased in 2014 though, so we'll see what happens!
    Sale of goods act (which applied at the time of purchase) sets no time limit beyond a reasonable time, unless the tyres have perished with age, as they are not worn out, then I would say you were within the 'reasonable time' bracket.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • seajays
    The Rookie wrote:
    Seajays wrote:
    Sale of goods act (which applied at the time of purchase) sets no time limit beyond a reasonable time, unless the tyres have perished with age, as they are not worn out, then I would say you were within the 'reasonable time' bracket.

Hmm Wiggle have come back and said they are out of Warranty (12 months) and there's nothing they can do. Have gone back to Schwalbe to say this, but suppose could go back to Wiggle with SoGA.
    My Strava
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    The Rookie wrote:
    Seajays wrote:

There is a six year limit in England, Wales and NI and five years in Scotland - although this is so long it very rarely crops up and not in this case

Additionally SOGA79 only really apply to goods which are in breach of implied warranty through a fault (not fit for purpose, defective, or non-durable etc.) which is present at time of sale. If the claim is made after 6months then the Customer has the burden of proving that the goods were in breach of warranty at the time of sale - this can sometimes be easy and other times impossible. Within 6months it is presumed that the fault was existent at time of sale - which is why it is always worth claiming early rather than hanging on.
  • The Rookie
    Your argument is with Wiggle and the warranty is irrelevant if they aren't fit for purpose, so they are being disingenuous.

Arguably most warranties now are irrelevant as SoGA and now the Consumer Rights Act (which has replaced it) are more onerous on the vendor.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bigmonka
    bigmonka Posts: 361
    How many miles have you done on them?
    A similar thing happened on my marathon winters, but that was probably after ~3000miles
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    I am sure Wiggle will do the right thing. Best bike retailer out there IME.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • seajays
    BigMonka wrote:
    How many miles have you done on them?
    A similar thing happened on my marathon winters, but that was probably after ~3000miles
    Hmm as this is second winter, about 1,600 miles I suppose. Still I would have thought they should have done more than that, especially as everything else about them is still good!
    My Strava
  • The Rookie
    As an indication my WTB slicks lasted circa 4000miles after I bought them used......