building a fast commuter bike

paul_mck
paul_mck Posts: 1,058
edited February 2016 in Commuting general
Hey all Id like to build a fast commuter bike (using second hand parts) and struggling to figure out where to begin.

Id like it to be super light (like 8kg ish)
1 x 9/10/11 speed
prefer drop bars but flat bars maybe ok
pref disc brakes but not essential
able to take 32mm tyres and guards

so the tyre/disc thing rules out a lot of road frames. cyclocross frames are expensive and not too many second hand ones about.

The likes of a higher end hybrid might be a goer but light frames aren't too handy to get either.

any thoughts?

Comments

• 8 Kg with discs and big tyres is impossible, unless you spend huge money.

There is a new Giant TCX on Ebay size 54 for 799 ONO, if you can travel to Norfol to pick it up, it looks like a great bargain, it's probably just over 9Kg... I was considering it myself, but can't be bothered to drive to Norfolk
    left the forum March 2023
  • paul_mck
    hmmm maybe in the 8s then?

I thought running 1x might compensate for the tyres which are 100g each heavier than 23/25s (gatorskins 325g ea).

Id need a 56-57ish
  • paul_mck wrote:
    hmmm maybe in the 8s then?

I thought running 1x might compensate for the tyres which are 100g each heavier than 23/25s (gatorskins 325g ea).

Id need a 56-57ish

Don't think so... very few disc CX bikes are in the 8s and all top end carbon stuff. 9-10 Kg bikes are not slower than 8 Kg bikes, unless your commute involves 3,000 feet of climbing. I'm not even sure a single chainring is lighter than a double chainring... the ring itself weighs nothing and a front derailleur weighs very little too

There are loads of barely used CX bikes on Ebay...
  • http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FRVICX/vin ... s-frameset

Might be a place to start, but your budget is???

Do you already have the second hand parts? You can, for example, convert an existing chainset into single quite easily.

What have you already got?
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    In the eights is very possible.
    My commuter is a Carrera Gryphon frame, I have lightish weight stem and flat bars, it runs disc brakes which are lightweight mechanical (so mid weight for hydraulics) and I run hybrid tyres that are 500g each, significantly lighter tyres are available, I run an X0 twist shift and X9 rear mech, 1x9 using a stronglight crankset on square taper and the bike is only just over 9Kg (15g over!) including fairly heavy M520 pedals, total cost was about £550 using a mix of new and good condition used parts.

My frame is pretty heavy at 1935g, I could go to lighter brakes like Formula RX, lighter wheels (mine are 1640g) and a decent external BB crankset with single ring along with a better frame and it would be mid 8Kg, lots of other little weight losses available for sensible money and it would be close to 8Kg still in a sensible budget.

Going to a single ring saved 350g in mech, shifter and cable plus the weight of a removed ring (that was before I went to the lighter track crankset), I run a homemade seat tube chain guide but if you have bolt on chainwheels you could use a narrow wide ring, that would save me 65g.

Dropped bars are a fair bit heavier than straight as the length of the tube is longer, also the brake levers are heavier, I run spacers only above the stem, an inverted stem and bars with no rise for an aggressive riding position, not dissimilar to being on the hoodz.

In other words, don't believe those who have never tried it who say it can't be done, experience of other bikes doesn't always translate, with a budget of £750 starting from fresh and using some good used parts to save money then circa mid 8kg is more than possible. (Before adding rack and guards).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    My commuter is a Carrera Gryphon frame, I have lightish weight stem and flat bars, it runs disc brakes which are lightweight mechanical (so mid weight for hydraulics) and I run hybrid tyres that are 500g each, significantly lighter tyres are available, I run an X0 twist shift and X9 rear mech, 1x9 using a stronglight crankset on square taper and the bike is only just over 9Kg (15g over!) including fairly heavy M520 pedals, total cost was about £550 using a mix of new and good condition used parts.

My frame is pretty heavy at 1935g, I could go to lighter brakes like Formula RX, lighter wheels (mine are 1640g) and a decent external BB crankset with single ring along with a better frame and it would be mid 8Kg, lots of other little weight losses available for sensible money and it would be close to 8Kg still in a sensible budget.

Going to a single ring saved 350g in mech, shifter and cable plus the weight of a removed ring (that was before I went to the lighter track crankset), I run a homemade seat tube chain guide but if you have bolt on chainwheels you could use a narrow wide ring, that would save me 65g.

Dropped bars are a fair bit heavier than straight as the length of the tube is longer, also the brake levers are heavier, I run spacers only above the stem, an inverted stem and bars with no rise for an aggressive riding position, not dissimilar to being on the hoodz.

In other words, don't believe those who have never tried it who say it can't be done, experience of other bikes doesn't always translate, with a budget of £750 starting from fresh and using some good used parts to save money then circa mid 8kg is more than possible. (Before adding rack and guards).

And all that hassle in one of the few counties that don't have a single climb... :lol:
  • paul_mck
    http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FRVICX/viner-super-prestige-dcx-carbon-cyclocross-frameset

Might be a place to start, but your budget is???

Do you already have the second hand parts? You can, for example, convert an existing chainset into single quite easily.

What have you already got?

I have 2 x 32mm tyres, a saddle and some decent flat pedals lol thats it! So open to suggestions.

currently riding this which is a total tank. Feels like Im dragging it around just not enjoyable at all. I don't do a big commute but like to go fast and have a few hills on the way home. I can also extend it out to 20-30 miles when the weather is good.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/c ... ybrid-bike

I have a P/EX RTD-90 as my good bike but don't want to commute on it for a variety of reasons.

budget is around 700 quid total Id say.

This seems like it might be a decent base if I got it under 600 quid and added a single ring crank

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Focus-Mares-A ... SwpzdWrIH5
  • paul_mck
    The Rookie wrote:

thanks for info, very helpful!
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    I built an 8kg commuter as follows:

Condor Super Acciaio di2-only frame (58)
    Zipp Sprint SL stem (100mm)
    Deda Dabar carbon bullhorns
    SRAM Red Aerolink brakes
    Dura-Ace 9070 di2 TT brake/shift levers
    SRAM CX1 cranks and chainring (46T)
    Ultegra 11-32 cassette (11sp)
    Ultegra 6870GS RD
    Dura-Ace 11-sp chain
    Handbuilt wheels: 20/24 Stans ZTR Alpha 340 on Novatec A291/A482 SB-SL hubs with Sapim D-Light spokes
    Hutchinson Intensive 25c tubeless tyres
    Ritchey Superlogic seatpost with internal di2 battery
    Charge Knife saddle (like a Spoon, but Ti rails)
    Ritchey Paradigm SPD-alike pedals
    Fi'zik bar tape
    Elite Custom cage

It has Pitlock skewers front and rear, and every fixing bolt has been replaced by a stainless bolt with a Torx security head, so I'm happy to leave it locked up outside.

Just under 8kg.
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    ETA: I reckon you could build a sub-8kg disc commuter based on the 2015 Cannondale CAAD10 disc that's on sale at Evans: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/can ... e-ec128698. That's about 800g lighter than my Condor frameset, which should compensate for the weight of the calipers, rotors etc. Probably achievable even with road bars and shifters if you spend enough / lurk long enough on eBay and the classifieds.
  • paul_mck
    Looks good but 23mm tyres with guards :(
  • skooter
    skooter Posts: 264
    That's a good idea with the Caad 10 disc frame/fork as I'm looking for another project and an 8kg flat bar road bike has now got me thinking..

Would the frame/forks need painting?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Rookie wrote:

And all that hassle in one of the few counties that don't have a single climb... :lol:
    Edgehill? Of course you don't need a 'climb' to do a lot of climbing, on a recent ride I had one small climb but due to the rolling countryside managed 5,500 feet of climbing.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I'm just finishing off a CX build. Lots of carbon, Sram Red and weenie stuff. It will hover around 7.5kg.

From memory, PX used to offer a flat bar Rival pro carbon for around £800, from time to time.
    THey have / had plenty of bikes on a 25% sale, in the last few weeks.

Otherwise it's a long slow slog through the classifieds.
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    PX have some great deals on CX frames at present - be sure to look out for the extra 25% off. From memory about 300-450 for some pretty light-weight carbon frames both road-disc and cx
  • PX deffo the place to start. But the XLS is out, no mudguard mounts. Need to look at the Gravel bikes.
  • paul_mck
    the viner prestige they have on sale is very tempting. 1100 quid and has 1x11 rival hydraulic.

maybe a little overkill for a commuter :(
  • skooter
    I'm with the OP its low weight for me, a bonus if you can fit mud guards but you can use universal mud guards.. The Canyon Roadlites either the Ultegra or 105 look good at first glance.
  • paul_mck
    So to update I ordered the Viner Prestige from Planet-X on the sale.

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBVISPRIV1 ... cross-bike

Its under a grand in the sale and looks a good all rounder. Im going to see if I can run it as a road bike too as its light enough (mid 8s).

mudguards will be fun but think I can manage it.

CBVISPRIV1_P2.jpg
  • skooter
    That looks nice and mid 8's too.

hx6u5t.jpg

Here's my attempt, its a Diverge upgraded to 105 10speed.. its a tad heavier at 9.1 kg..
  • paul_mck
    very smart - what wheels are they?
  • skooter
    They came off my Defy Advanced 0 of the top of my head I think they are Giant PR - 2 with decals removed lol..
  • oldbazza
    oldbazza Posts: 646
    PX deffo the place to start. But the XLS is out, no mudguard mounts. Need to look at the Gravel bikes.

With a bit of fiddling,these fit with 32 Randonneurs and Grifos(bit tight with the Grifos but they are really for off road so the 'guards will be off anyway),should have plenty of room with the 28 Sectors that are on their way;

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Axiom-Roadrunne ... wodByoEkQ#
    Ridley Helium SL (Dura-Ace/Wheelsmith Aero-dimpled 45 wheels)

Light Blue Robinson(105 +lots of Hope)

Planet X XLS 1X10(105/XTR/Miche/TRP Spyre SLC brakes

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • oldbazza wrote:
    PX deffo the place to start. But the XLS is out, no mudguard mounts. Need to look at the Gravel bikes.

With a bit of fiddling,these fit with 32 Randonneurs and Grifos(bit tight with the Grifos but they are really for off road so the 'guards will be off anyway),should have plenty of room with the 28 Sectors that are on their way;

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Axiom-Roadrunne ... wodByoEkQ#

how did you deal with the rear brake bridge? (Or lack of one)