Cube (carbon) or Giant (alluminium)

PaoloL
PaoloL Posts: 17
edited February 2016 in Road beginners
Dear all.
I am new here. I have been riding a single-gear bike for a daily commute in London for the last 3 years, and I regularly run to keep myself fit.
I now want to buy a road bike to have some long distance rides (but I wouldn't exclude using the road bike for my commute).

My budget is about £700, but I am still very confused. E.g. with the same amount of money, I can buy a carbon bike like this one:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cube ... e43f33b52f" target="_blank

or a giant defy like this one:
http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Giant-Defy-3-20 ... _84152.htm" target="_blank

Of course there are many other options within the alloy road bikes.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Comments

• ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    The Cube is fantastic value at that price. It also looks like the main components are higher spec than the Giant so would seem the best value. I have the same model Cube with Ultegra groupset which was a lot more expensive and is 4 years old, but a great bike, so I don't think you can go wrong.

Bear in mind that Cube sizing is small and I have a 56cm frame which is the right size for me at 5'8" tall. For other bikes, probably a 54cm frame would be my size.
  • PaoloL
    thanks very much for your kind reply.
    Would a bike like the Cube above be good for a daily commute of about 10 miles each way? I am always worried about the fact that a carbon bike is weaker ... but I might be very wrong.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    Yes the Cube would be fine for your 10 mile commute, as long as it fits you, you buy the correct size.
  • ForumNewbie
    PaoloL wrote:
    thanks very much for your kind reply.
    Would a bike like the Cube above be good for a daily commute of about 10 miles each way? I am always worried about the fact that a carbon bike is weaker ... but I might be very wrong.
    When I do commute by bike (18 miles each way) I use either my hybrid or steel audax bikes as both have racks which allow me to carry work clothes and a pack lunch without getting a sweaty back. I also don't fancy leaving my Cube carbon bike locked up at work.

If I was you I'd keep the single gear bike for commuting and get the Cube or Giant for weekend riding.
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    You have to be very sure on the fit of the bike - the geometry of the cube is very different to the Defy.

The 2016 Defy frame is the same as the 2015 Defy - in the link below for £50 more you get a much better groupset (ultegra 6800 11 speed) than Tiagra and Sora + interest free credit for six months if you want it:

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s6p591 ... EFY-0-2015
  • PaoloL
    When I do commute by bike (18 miles each way) I use either my hybrid or steel audax bikes as both have racks which allow me to carry work clothes and a pack lunch without getting a sweaty back. I also don't fancy leaving my Cube carbon bike locked up at work.

If I was you I'd keep the single gear bike for commuting and get the Cube or Giant for weekend riding.

Thanks for the advice. I usually leave quite a bit of clothes in my office, so that I can change there.
    My question is more on whether like a bike like the Cube can handle daily commute or would the bike wear off too fast?
  • ForumNewbie
    PaoloL wrote:

Thanks for the advice. I usually leave quite a bit of clothes in my office, so that I can change there.
    My question is more on whether like a bike like the Cube can handle daily commute or would the bike wear off too fast?
    If your commute includes rough roads and lots of pot holes etc. and you commute in winter, it might be tough on a nice new carbon bike. Otherwise it won't wear any more than on weekend rides of similar mileage.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Get the (list price) Giant.

The Cube will definitely not be able to handle the roughness of a commute, especially in winter.
    Carbon is so weak compared to strong aluminum.

Let some other fool (searches for credit card) get the (42% off) Cube 8)
  • PaoloL
    Hi.
    Carbonator wrote:

What do you mean with this?

Thanks!
  • ForumNewbie
    PaoloL wrote:
    Hi.
    Carbonator wrote:

Thanks!
    I think he is trying to tell you that as the Cube price is reduced by 42%, it is the obvious choice.
  • PaoloL
    PaoloL wrote:
    Hi.
    Carbonator wrote:

Thanks!
    I think he is trying to tell you that as the Cube price is reduced by 42%, it is the obvious choice.

Really? :) I thought it was quite the opposite :) but I couldn't understand the thing about credit card.
  • ForumNewbie
    PaoloL wrote:
    PaoloL wrote:
    Hi.
    Carbonator wrote:

Thanks!

Really? :) I thought it was quite the opposite :) but I couldn't understand the thing about credit card.
    He was joking about the carbon Cube not being able to handle a commute, and indicating that it was such a good bargain he was getting out his credit card to buy it.
  • PaoloL
    He was joking about the carbon Cube not being able to handle a commute, and indicating that it was such a good bargain he was getting out his credit card to buy it.

Oops sorry.. I am a bit slow, and I didn't get the joke :)
  • I have owned a Defy and would recommend but not with the Sora group set. Probably a bike snob but I just don't like the feel, the new Tiagra is good and feels better. In short the Cube is a great deal but just to confuse you more Ribble have some great deals as well. I bought one as a winter bike and it feels great.

Good luck with the desicion
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The Cube will have old Tiagra, but thats still 10 speed.

As well as coming up small, it will also be a much racier position than the Giant.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    The cube is a steal, the frame must be pretty light as even with the component spec 8.6kg which is great at that price point. If you upgrade over time it will only get lighter
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • PaoloL
    Thanks everyone.
    What about the cube I mentioned above, and the cube here:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161971728500? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Which one would you choose?
  • ForumNewbie
    PaoloL wrote:
    Thanks everyone.

Firstly, that is a second-hand bike as described as Used, and
    secondly, it says it is 'out of stock',
    so I would stick to the new Cube that everyone agrees is a bargain at that price.
  • PaoloL
    PaoloL wrote:
    Thanks everyone.

Firstly, that is a second-hand bike as described as Used, and
    secondly, it says it is 'out of stock',
    so I would stick to the new Cube that everyone agrees is a bargain at that price.

Yes, it is used, but it has full ultrega components (compared to Tiagra). I can get that deal on ebay for £650. I am sorry if I insist, but I just want to make sure that I get the right bike.

Thanks!
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    As mentioned it is second hand - you do not get the warranty cover you would with a new bike.
    Cycleclinic is an excellent seller and it is his wheels which are on the bike so you are getting a good set of handbuilt wheels (although they do appear very light - racing wheels - rather than commuting wheels?).
    The new Cube is a bargain - I personally prefer the bike I linked to previously with the 11 speed Ultegra but at the end of the day it comes down to what grabs you.