CX Race Bike for £1K mark

pmannion9
pmannion9 Posts: 280
edited February 2016 in Cyclocross
Can get a bit creative with C2W voucher...so ideally looking for something around the £1K mark...
This bike would be for CX racing only - will have to be availbale in small size as I'm only about 5'4''

I have been CX racing for 3 years now on a Forme Hiver with Cantilver brakes. It has handled itself very well and survived many an off I had in the early days , less so know thankfully.
This season I upgraded to CX70 brakes and chainset as well 105 shifters and I think it has made a big difference. I use clincher wheels - very heavy but no punctures. Maybe it helps as I am pretty light at around 56kg.

However, I still am not confident in braking. Have major issues when going of big drops and steep banks and not getting enough stopping power. Brakes are setup pretty well I just don't seem to have the strength in hands when braking from hoods. Would disc brakes help?

I like Shimano so ideally would like to stick with that...
I know some of guy are fountains of knowledge when it comes to CX and I basically know very little !!!
Anyone gone through similar purchase decisions and have any recommendations?

Many thanks,
Paul

Comments

• MrGrumpy
    MrGrumpy Posts: 288
    viewtopic.php?f=40114&t=13042076

just one thread which I started recently but there are loads posted in this section, for pure out and out race probably PlanetX ? I wanted something a bit more do it all.
  • Cheers
    I really do like the XLS range and the thought of the 1 chain ring.
    Is the XLS the best in their range for racing would you say compared to the Viner or Tomac options?
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    I looked at doing something similar and decided against using the C2W scheme and building something myself instead. Not really many race ready bikes around the 1k mark, most are heavy utility bikes for commuters and casual cyclists. I was shocked at quite how heavy some of the entry level CX bikes really are, my current bike is a 5-6 year old Focus Mares and weighs about 8kg with tubs on, the modern disc equipped version that can be bought under the £1k threshold is nigh on 12kg. Most probably wouldn't be much of an upgrade over your Forme to be fair. The only one that tempted me was the PX XLS, but wasn't keen on discs or 11 speed and the rear mud clearance isn't very good for racing - plus PX charge a £100 admin fee when using the C2W voucher which affects the specs you can buy.

On another note try Avid Shorty Ultimate - best Canti's around by far. If they stop my 75kg adequately I'm sure you'll notice the upgrade :)
  • pmannion9 wrote:
    Cheers
    I really do like the XLS range and the thought of the 1 chain ring.
    Is the XLS the best in their range for racing would you say compared to the Viner or Tomac options?

I doubt there's much difference between most of them. But the Viner and Tomac certainly do have substantially lighter forks. If I were getting a CX now I'd go for those on that basis. But the XLS is a hell of a lot cheaper mostly.

I've just converted mine to single ring.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    pmannion9 wrote:
    However, I still am not confident in braking. Have major issues when going of big drops and steep banks and not getting enough stopping power. Brakes are setup pretty well I just don't seem to have the strength in hands when braking from hoods. Would disc brakes help?
    The XLS is a great bike, especially with a single chainring, but I suspect your issue isn't with the bike.

Riding down anything steep, you're generally better off in the drops, especially if you're going to be using the brakes. You can get a much firmer grip on the bars with 3 fingers and your thumb, and operate the brakes with your index fingers. More to the point, you'll get a lot more control of the brakes when you're on the drops.

Watch a few of the earlier Svenness videos - drops are for descending!
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Riding down anything steep, you're generally better off in the drops, especially if you're going to be using the brakes. You can get a much firmer grip on the bars with 3 fingers and your thumb, and operate the brakes with your index fingers. More to the point, you'll get a lot more control of the brakes when you're on the drops

Good advice ..cheers
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    X were iffy about using a voucher when I called them - they added 10% to the price for taking it (passing on the admin fee).

I'd have a look at the boardman CX team I think, the new 2016 one comes with a 1×11 SRAM Rival groupset, with SRAM hydraulic disc brakes. For under £900 (once you use your BC discount).
    Insert bike here:
  • Cheers for that...
    Didn't know PX charged the C2W admin fee...
    Will have a look at the Boardman - saw it had got a decent review...