Changing a Chainset..

skooter
skooter Posts: 264
edited February 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
If i had a mtb with a 44/32/26 fitted to a Octalink BB would jt be possiable to fit a 38/26 or similar double chainset or would I need to fit a new Hollowtec BB as well.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If it's an Octolink crankset yes, if it's an HTII crankset you need the BB to match.

Or just remove the big ring and fit a bigger middle ring. And probably new chainring bolts.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Just fit new inner and middle rings of the size you want.
    Leave the oute empty or fit a bash, if leaving it empty you'll need single ring bolts due to the narrower clamping width.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • skooter
    I did read a post somewhere on removing the big ring and getting a bigger ring for the middle but if I remember it did say something about a bash plate resetting the H screw and something about the shifters .. but alas I cant find the post again.. ( sod's law )..
    Have I made that bit up it, got some posts mixed up... could be?
    What do you reckon? :)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You'll have to adjust the high limit screw and maybe reposition the mech.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • skooter
    Looking at things as they are could do these if poss with the 44/32/26.
    1/.. use the 44/32 but I can't find a bash plate for a 44T so I don't know.
    2/ Keep the 26 then add a 38T and a bash plate which I can find, and new bolts of course?

PS. I can only find bash plates that fit up too 38T or I would go a bit bigger?

Thanks for your help over Christmas. :)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You can't fit a bash in the outer location and keep the outer ring, obvious really.

About 38t is the largest 4 arm bash, few people want to go bigger than that on a double.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • skooter
    Just catching up with this post..

In the end I bought a Trek Superfly 5 I changed the 36/22 to a 40/28 and all went well I did upgrade the brakes to XT and a few other bits.
    Here's a photo of the finished bike.
    14o0p02.jpg

So many thanks for all the help..

Cheers