Nissan JUKE boot space

lemon63
lemon63 Posts: 253
edited February 2016 in The cake stop
Hi, thinking of buying one of these Jukes but am a bit concerned about the reported lack of boot space. Have any of you guys got one and whats it like for getting a road bike in the boot?
I currently have a Mondeo which takes a road bike fairly comfortably with the rear seats dropped and the front wheel off the bike so was hoping with a Juke I could do the same.

Comments

• tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    lemon63 wrote:
    Hi, thinking of buying one of these Jukes but am a bit concerned about the reported lack of boot space. Have any of you guys got one and whats it like for getting a road bike in the boot?
    I currently have a Mondeo which takes a road bike fairly comfortably with the rear seats dropped and the front wheel off the bike so was hoping with a Juke I could do the same.

Not sure, but check it has a folding rear seat, on the new Jag & C Class its an optional extra :(
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Definitely check, I rented a QashQai recently thinking it would be good for 2 people, luggage and then surf boards. How wrong was I. No depth to the boot and so a lot smaller than you would think. Different car and different goods.

Take it for a test drive via the house
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    These soft roaders are generally a waste of space: much smaller on the inside than they look. I've never understood why people buy them other than as fashion accessories.

I can get my L bike (wheels off) into a Fiat 500. A friend got her bike (wheels off) into the boot of the C-Class saloon.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Looked at both Duke and Quashqai to replace focus estate and found much the same as Flaneur. There is no depth to the boot in either model. The Duke is ridiculously small and the Quashqai not much better.

Thought the +2 model of the Quashqai would be better but the two occasional seats in the rear fold into the floor taking up more space than they provide when folded down. The issue with both models and it seems the majority of new cars is Unlike the Focus , you cant fold the rear seat backs down completely flat, because the rear seat bases don't lift.

The best I ve seen in a new car was the Ford C max , but its as dull as ditch water to drive, I m now waiting for either a Skoda Superb or Audi A 6 to come up at the right price.

Youll be hard stretched to find anything with the same space as your Mondeo, the Father in Law has got the Hatch and with the seats down its probably got as much Flat load space as my Focus Estate, Just lacks the height at the back.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    I can just about get my 54 frame bike in the back with rear seats down and both wheels still on, easy with front wheel removed, would have thought you would struggle if it's a particularly large frame with high seat, other than that good car
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,149
    lemon63 wrote:
    My old Mondeo could take any road or mountain bike without taking the front wheel off. The Juke looks quite short so not sure if it would be big enough, but if in doubt find out the boot dimensions. Otherwise just stick with something Mondeo sized.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • 2011-nissan-juke-sl-inline-interior-429-photo-426311-s-original.jpg

Even my Up! takes a CX with both wheels off.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Try a Volvo XC60 - I got 5 suitcases, my roadbike and my sons mountain bike all in the boot for a recent trip to France....
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Buy a 3 series estate and have done
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Discovery. Five people, three bikes (wheels off) and the wheels, and some luggage. Or seats down and many bikes...
  • Audi A4 estate, with the rear seats folded 56cm road bike with wheels on fits easily . . .
    Got a place in the Pyrenees.
    Do bike and ski stuff.
  • To be fair, the OP wants a Juke.

So, if we're doing all this "buy something else" stuff then just get a VW T5/6 and be done with it.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    To be fair, the OP wants a Juke.

So, if we're doing all this "buy something else" stuff then just get a VW T5/6 and be done with it.

Then if that's the case he should just buy one and work around the issues regarding moving his bike. Estate cars are still the best way to move stuff around despite the marketing muppets trying to persuade everyone that SUV's or MPV's are a solution to a problem that never really existed. An estate is easier to load due to it's height and therefore still drives like a normal car too. If you like a raised driving position and crap handling then admit it and get the Juke and stop worrying.
  • bianchimoon
    lemon63 wrote:
    In answer to the original question, yes it's possible with both wheels on certainly up to a 54 frame, very easy with front wheel off, ignore the bollox about it being a bad car from people who have in all likelihood never driven one. It does what it's supposed to do, handles as it's supposed to do, as do all modern cars :roll:
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,584
    If you want a Juke, then get one. But be aware, all SUV's have useless boots. Style over substance every time.
    You will be better off with a proper hatch or ideally, an estate for boot space.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    964Cup wrote:
    Discovery. Five people, three bikes (wheels off) and the wheels, and some luggage. Or seats down and many bikes...

I have a disco - it's ace - a series 2 7 seater. Can fit a bike with the front wheel off in the boot, and still carry 5. Only pain is the spare wheel and the way the boot opens makes the tow bar carrier a bit of a pain.
    Insert bike here:
  • meanredspider
    , ignore the bollox about it being a bad car from people who have in all likelihood never driven one. It does what it's supposed to do, handles as it's supposed to do, as do all modern cars :roll:

I found this quote somewhere
    capable of driving people to such dangerous folly that faith seems to me to qualify as a kind of mental illness

:wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • bianchimoon
    , ignore the bollox about it being a bad car from people who have in all likelihood never driven one. It does what it's supposed to do, handles as it's supposed to do, as do all modern cars :roll:

capable of driving people to such dangerous folly that faith seems to me to qualify as a kind of mental illness

nope, i've seen a juke, they definitely exist :)
  • meanredspider

It's the road dynamics and handling that are imaginary :wink:

You're right to some extent that most modern cars are competent and safe - it really is just a question of how competent. You don't improve the handling of a car by jacking it up so it is really a question of whether this trade-off worth it in terms of any benefits you might get (classically ground clearance but some people find them easier to get into and some people just like being higher up - though, if everybody is higher up, the benefit is very small).
  • bianchimoon

It's the road dynamics and handling that are imaginary :wink:

You're right to some extent that most modern cars are competent and safe - it really is just a question of how competent. You don't improve the handling of a car by jacking it up so it is really a question of whether this trade-off worth it in terms of any benefits you might get (classically ground clearance but some people find them easier to get into and some people just like being higher up - though, if everybody is higher up, the benefit is very small).
    Yup, my argument is A) the OP was asking about Juke boot space, not every Clarkson wannabe giving advice on the performance dynamics of SUV's. B) it's a Juke that performs like a Juke, competently. C) I've driven a Juke, never had any handling/performance issues, but there again i drive it like its a Juke not a performance car. Any car can be poor handling when driven beyond its performance capabilities and that should never happen on a public road :wink:
  • meanredspider
    And, as I said, that's fair. But you also need to recognise that people see them as "lifestyle" vehicles and, like many people that wear sports clothing never do a sport, many of the people that drive soft roaders are never going to venture off road. Since it's clear that the OP is going from a very competent car with great load-carrying capability, I suppose it's natural on a forum that people might point out that. Good or bad, that's mostly how forums work. You'd expect something similar if someone came on here looking to swap their road bike for an MTB to do their commute.
  • bianchimoon
    And, as I said, that's fair. But you also need to recognise that people see them as "lifestyle" vehicles and, like many people that wear sports clothing never do a sport, many of the people that drive soft roaders are never going to venture off road. Since it's clear that the OP is going from a very competent car with great load-carrying capability, I suppose it's natural on a forum that people might point out that. Good or bad, that's mostly how forums work. You'd expect something similar if someone came on here looking to swap their road bike for an MTB to do their commute.

Ahh, that's where I'm missing the point, a car is a means of getting from A-B, safely, economically and relatively comfortably as a lifestyle choice/status symbo,l gave up that delusion many years ago. I'll say one thing in favour of a mondeo estate over a Nissan Juke... It's got a bigger boot! :D
  • meanredspider
    What I hate about the Juke is that it reminds me of Nigel Farage :wink:

And, personally, I don't like sitting up high because it exacerbates all the imperfections in our very imperfect roads. But women seem to like driving the Juke so it must have something going for it.
  • bianchimoon

And, personally, I don't like sitting up high because it exacerbates all the imperfections in our very imperfect roads. But women seem to like driving the Juke so it must have something going for it.

That's very true, my wife has one absolutely loves everything about it, who am I to argue!!! i use it occasionally to take the bike to club meets.. Other guys do give me very funny looks tho'! :wink:
  • lemon63
    lemon63 Posts: 253

That's very true, my wife has one absolutely loves everything about it, who am I to argue!!! i use it occasionally to take the bike to club meets.. Other guys do give me very funny looks tho'! :wink:

Never thought of it as a women's car, can't get one now can I :(
    Anyway thanks for the comments, can you get a bike rack for a Scirocco? :wink:
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,584
    lemon63 wrote:

Never thought of it as a women's car, can't get one now can I :(
    Anyway thanks for the comments, can you get a bike rack for a Scirocco? :wink:
    Off the top of my head, the Scirocco probably* has as much boot space as the Juke.
    * Maybe not in volume but in a practical sense regarding carrying bikes.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Let's be very clear, the Juke is a bag of shite barely worthy of the descriptor "car" it's a retrograde step from the OPs current Mondeo.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • tim wand wrote:
    Looked at both Duke and Quashqai to replace focus estate and found much the same as Flaneur. There is no depth to the boot in either model. The Duke is ridiculously small and the Quashqai not much better.

Thought the +2 model of the Quashqai would be better but the two occasional seats in the rear fold into the floor taking up more space than they provide when folded down. The issue with both models and it seems the majority of new cars is Unlike the Focus , you cant fold the rear seat backs down completely flat, because the rear seat bases don't lift.

The best I ve seen in a new car was the Ford C max , but its as dull as ditch water to drive, I m now waiting for either a Skoda Superb or Audi A 6 to come up at the right price.

Youll be hard stretched to find anything with the same space as your Mondeo, the Father in Law has got the Hatch and with the seats down its probably got as much Flat load space as my Focus Estate, Just lacks the height at the back.

Just taken delivery of my new company car ... It's a Skoda Superb hatch and that boot is huge!! You wouldn't need to take a wheel off ... Wouldn't have touched a Skoda once upon a time, but this ones fantastic ;)
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    I (or more specifically, the wife) have an 11-plate Juke, and to be honest the boot space is pitiful, as is the interior cabin space. I tried to get my bike in it the other day with a simple modification of removing the front wheel and placing it sideways across the back seats. It wouldn't fit, and this process was easily replicated many times in our old car, a 5-door 58-plate Fiesta. I've never tried folding the back seats down and placing it in that way, but suspect it would work, wheel off.

Overall it's a good car, with reasonable economy (1.6 petrol, 40ish mpg with HID driving). Room enough for four adults or a couple of kid seats in the back. The boot has a false floor, which is useful for hiding loads of stuff - can easily fit a waterproof, some food, tyre pump (for the car), bottle of screen wash and a laptop under it. Despite the Renault-built engine, I'd be looking for the 1.5 Dci. We were given this car for pennies in a deal with my in-laws, but a Juke Qashqai was on our radar anyway. Can't comment on whether 4wd models are any good though.

If putting your bike in the back is likely a regular occurrence, I'd be taking it to the dealers and having a go - if they want to sell you the car it won't be a problem. My mate did this with his golf gear a couple of years back and the salesman wasn't impressed. He walked away and bought the same car somewhere else.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.