Silly Commuter Running

rhodrich
rhodrich Posts: 867
edited May 2016 in Commuting chat
Beautiful run this lunchtime round Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens. The sun was shining, the air was crisp, and there was some good competition along a few stretches. As a bonus, I was running past Kensington Palace just as a helicopter came to land on the field next to it, with Wills and Kate emerging from it.

Anyone else here do any running?
1938 Hobbs Tandem
1956 Carlton Flyer Path/Track
1960 Mercian Superlight Track
1974 Pete Luxton Path/Track*
1980 Harry Hall
1986 Dawes Galaxy
1988 Jack Taylor Tourer
1988 Pearson
1989 Condor
1993 Dawes Hybrid
2016 Ridley Helium SL
*Currently on this

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Yeah, am a some time triantelope. Currently having to up the mileage as I got the club place for London. Bike is suffering.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    You should both be ashamed.
  • rhodrich
    Shame? Shame? I feel no shame. I have been known to do a bike ride preceded by a swim, and followed by a run too in the past.

If I could get away with going for a ride at lunchtime, I would, but there aren't many opportunities in Central London. Running is the next best thing......
    1938 Hobbs Tandem
    1980 Harry Hall
    1986 Dawes Galaxy
    1988 Jack Taylor Tourer
    1988 Pearson
    1989 Condor
    1993 Dawes Hybrid
    2016 Ridley Helium SL
    *Currently on this
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    Sometimes but not for a while. Did a half marathon last year and hated everything about it, so have vowed to keep my distances at around 10km at most. Not run at all this year yet!
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    mods: thread lock please, super off topic even for us
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    Run only if being chased & then only fast enough to avoid capture. Surely.
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • rhodrich
    LOL! Sometimes I forget that this is BikeRadar! Your devotion to the rules is admirable. I unfortunately break rules 1,29,31,33,34,39,42,45 & 90 regularly....
    1938 Hobbs Tandem
    1980 Harry Hall
    1986 Dawes Galaxy
    1988 Jack Taylor Tourer
    1988 Pearson
    1989 Condor
    1993 Dawes Hybrid
    2016 Ridley Helium SL
    *Currently on this
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    vimfuego wrote:
    Run only if being chased & then only fast enough to avoid capture. Surely.
    and, as they say, you only need to be the second slowest runner in the group
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Get out. Get out and never come back.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Did a couple of races last year - one cross-country relay, one fell race. I actually ran more miles in those races than I did in training; thankfully, unless I'm actually trying to win, cycling fitness seems to transfer fairly well to running.

I enjoy racing waaay more than I enjoy training, so the plan this year is to do enough fell races to maintain a reasonable level of running fitness, then I shouldn't have to train at all...

I'd love to do the 3 Peaks CX race, which is a bit of both, but getting entry for that is a bit like trying to win the lottery...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • itboffin wrote:

Come on now. That's not right.

Mods, just ban them all.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    itboffin wrote:

Come on now. That's not right.

Mods, just ban them all.
    We would if we could. :twisted:
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    Yep, runner here.

Clocked up 11 miles yesterday morning.

Can't decide if I should focus on running or cycling. Stronger cyclist but running is better in many ways (sorry).
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    I'd rather have the Chinese threads than one about running FFS
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    A running thread?

Running? On this hallowed forum?

*faints*
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    cjcp wrote:
    A running thread?

*faints*
    Running can be quite useful when your cranks fall off. Just saying...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    TGOTB wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    A running thread?

*faints*

*narrows eyes*

Funny guy...
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • veronese68
    cjcp wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    A running thread?

*faints*

*narrows eyes*

Funny guy...
    I must confess, it made me chuckle :lol:
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I did a half marathon for 'charidee' last year, it ate into my riding time too much. It was surprisingly enjoyable though and I'll do a bit more running when I can be bothered.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • rhodrich
    Ah... the sun is out. The weather is crisp. Perfect day for a lunchtime run in Hyde Park. Felt good.

Some guy from Germany has given me Kudos though - Dejan Krusec. Not one of you guys having a laugh? He also gave me Kudos on my commute home last night. Very odd....

https://www.strava.com/athletes/5829352
    1938 Hobbs Tandem
    1980 Harry Hall
    1986 Dawes Galaxy
    1988 Jack Taylor Tourer
    1988 Pearson
    1989 Condor
    1993 Dawes Hybrid
    2016 Ridley Helium SL
    *Currently on this
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Rhodrich wrote:
    Ah... the sun is out. The weather is crisp. Perfect day for a lunchtime run in Hyde Park. Felt good.

Some guy from Germany has given me Kudos though - Dejan Krusec. Not one of you guys having a laugh? He also gave me Kudos on my commute home last night. Very odd....

That would be London, Germany according to his profile! Its a small town in Bavaria with a bad habit of copy-catting names :-) if you notice his last four achievements are on the west london / richmond park run
  • imatfaal wrote:
    Rhodrich wrote:

That would be London, Germany according to his profile! Its a small town in Bavaria with a bad habit of copy-catting names :-) if you notice his last four achievements are on the west london / richmond park run

He also joined Richmond CC in Yorkshire - he seems very confused
  • veronese68
    I ran about 500 yards on Tuesday night to catch a bus. Ridiculous idea and I felt dreadful at the end of it. Luckily I had plenty of beer and curry on board to fuel the run or imagine how much worse I would have felt.
  • menthel
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I ran about 500 yards on Tuesday night to catch a bus. Ridiculous idea and I felt dreadful at the end of it. Luckily I had plenty of beer and curry on board to fuel the run or imagine how much worse I would have felt.

Worst state to run in. I can understand running for the bus to get to the pub and curry, but after? It could end in bodily rejection of the aforementioned booze and spicy food load....
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • veronese68
    menthel wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

Worst state to run in. I can understand running for the bus to get to the pub and curry, but after? It could end in bodily rejection of the aforementioned booze and spicy food load....
    To be fair I wasn't thinking straight at the time. Walking away from the curry shop to the bus stop I saw the bus at a set of lights so ran like f... Got on the bus and told the driver I could have done without that after a curry and he said he thought I'd done very well. I'm sure he would have driven off laughing if I hadn't got there in time though.
  • menthel
    Veronese68 wrote:
    menthel wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

To be fair I wasn't thinking straight at the time. Walking away from the curry shop to the bus stop I saw the bus at a set of lights so ran like f... Got on the bus and told the driver I could have done without that after a curry and he said he thought I'd done very well. I'm sure he would have driven off laughing if I hadn't got there in time though.

He was probably more pleased you didn't spew up ale and curry all over his bus whilst having a coronary! ;)
    RIP commute...
  • rhodrich
    Veronese68 wrote:
    menthel wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

#Kudos Symbol_thumbs_up.svg
    1938 Hobbs Tandem
    1980 Harry Hall
    1986 Dawes Galaxy
    1988 Jack Taylor Tourer
    1988 Pearson
    1989 Condor
    1993 Dawes Hybrid
    2016 Ridley Helium SL
    *Currently on this
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Running specific anti rant.
    Rest week next week, coincides with holiday. Short* 13 mile home this evening then I'm done for a week.

*Marathon training is messing with my definition of 'short'
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • veronese68
    Rhodrich wrote:
    #Kudos
    Thank you. I'd have put it on Strava to get Kudos from some randoms but by the time I'd turned it on I would have missed the bus. :mrgreen:
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Rhodrich wrote:
    #Kudos
    Thank you. I'd have put it on Strava to get Kudos from some randoms but by the time I'd turned it on I would have missed the bus. :mrgreen:

No excuse. :twisted:
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017