Clipless Pedal Commuters?

Lee540
Lee540 Posts: 22
edited February 2016 in Commuting general
Hello all..

Been cycling for a few years now and was commuting 12 miles each way on a relatively quiet countryside A road throughout all weathers with no issues. Been in London for about a year now, I was using my motorcycle until it was stolen in November from my garage and I have now lost interest in purchasing another for now so I will start cycling next week.

I seem to see no one using clipless pedals, I cannot imagine cycling now without them although I am considering swapping the SL's for some mountain bike SPD's as they are easier to walk in.

What are most people here using? My route will be Wimbledon to Farringdon.

Cheers

Lee

Comments

• prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Mtb spds for me, always have. I tried road pedals for commuting and it was a faff, I assume it would be even worse in London. I had to walk three miles once when I had more punctures than spare tubes too so I was glad of the recessed cleats

I've been tempted to try flats over the winter though so I can wear comfier shoes, but I ride in full Lycra get up so I'd look like a right wally. Might give it a whirl in the summer and wear baggies for a day or two.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I've been on MTB SPDs for 24 years now, even when I had a road bike.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    MTB SPD's on my commuter, both for ease of clipping in/out and ease of walking in the shoes.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Yep MTB SPD's here too for the above mentioned reasons :)
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • SPD's on both my (road) bikes. I tried road shoes/cleats but found them a pain (especially trying to clip in and failing leading to shin/pedal interface!).
  • Just to buck the SPD trend, I use Time Xpresso pedals and cleats on my commuter and have never had a problem.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • oldbazza
    oldbazza Posts: 646
    SPD's here too with Northwave spike pro shoes,nice compromise of being able to walk and be clipped in on the bike.
    Ridley Helium SL (Dura-Ace/Wheelsmith Aero-dimpled 45 wheels)

Light Blue Robinson(105 +lots of Hope)

Planet X XLS 1X10(105/XTR/Miche/TRP Spyre SLC brakes

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    I use MTB gear too for the reasons stated above - Crank Bros Candy 2s
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • Lee540
    Lee540 Posts: 22
    Cheers for replies..

I will go to my LBS this weekend and grab a set of SPD pedals and MTB shoes :)
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Another SPD'r on MTB shoes on a roadie, with some shimano clipp'r pedals to really break rule #34...

But then I break #14, #18, #32 (cos it's a good riding backback), #34 and #35 every day I ride, and those are the ones I'm aware off... :oops:
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    Unless you can trackstand like a pro then SPD.

I use SPD-SL quite often but am very good at trackstanding. They would be a complete nightmare to use if I weren't.
  • Not understanding you lot at all
    Click clipped in SPD SL KEOs
    Click clipped out SPD SL KEOs

only good reason to for SPD, cleats never wear out unless you are a clog hoofed munter and you can walk in them less like a fkn duck

I reckon some of you just need to get a bus into work
    My pen won't write on the screen
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Not understanding you lot at all
    Click clipped in SPD SL KEOs
    Click clipped out SPD SL KEOs

only good reason to for SPD, cleats never wear out unless you are a clog hoofed munter and you can walk in them less like a fkn duck

I reckon some of you just need to get a bus into work

I'm clumsy enough without anything else making it worse! Your not the only person to tell me that either, oh, colleagues, and doctors have suggested the same ;-)
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • zebra67
    zebra67 Posts: 113
    This is one of my puzzles in life. I work at a university on edge of city, large % of students & staff cycle in.
    Most people wear regular clothes & ordinary shoes.
    Some people wear lycra cycling clothes... and ordinary trainers, very occasionally with toeclips.
    I wear ordinary clothes... and SPDs!

I just think it's funny, many people think that to be a cyclist you need the lycra, but shun the most important performance-safety kit they could have.
  • SPDs on the fixed, Look Keo on the nice road bike. If you've mastered clipping in and out then ride with whatever clipless pedals you're comfortable with.
    Condor Pista
    50x16
  • I use Speedplay Zeros...I reckon some commuters are scared to use clipless as they WILL fall off the bike in the early stages ( happens to everyone ) as the brain needs to learn the unnatural instinct to unclip. Also, there's a lot of stopping and starting ( assuming they stop at the lights ) so it's not for everyone.