Which rear light do you guys suggest

langtounboy
langtounboy Posts: 55
edited February 2016 in Commuting chat
I'm getting a bit peeved with rear lights; I understand they live in horrendous conditions but it can't be too much to ask for a waterproof light that will work for more than 1 month without letting in water and rusting out the internals.

I have used and discarded Smart, Knog, Cateye and a couple of others that I can't quite remember :evil:

Please help I've started to run to work in this weather because I don't trust my rear light :oops:
JOGLE Cube Aree GTC Pro -DONE
Summer Commuter Single Speed 90 gear"
Winter Commuter Badboy Lefty Single Speed
Hack Lefty with slicks
Dirty Lefty Taurine
Giant FCR2 not compact anymore + mods. STOLEN.

Comments

• timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    I picked up a couple of Lezyne KTV rears in the sales over Christmas:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-ktv-drive-rear/

They're not spectacular, but appear very well sealed, and I haven't had any problems yet. Run time isn't great, but does recharge from USB with very little fannying about.

I've also not had any issue with this style of cheapie:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/aim- ... prod123035

Seems to seal that bit better in my experience because of the screw fit in combination with the rubber gasket, as well as giving decent all round visibility.

That particular one has a dodgy mount (and as you can see isn't for sale anymore) so I've no idea where you'd get one - Planet X had a similar Areo model with a better mount but also not for sale anymore.
  • First of all, get a See Sense, they are IP67 rated. But, really, also get some mudguards.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Think I'd get a Moon Nebula if I were buying now

I've got a Lezyne Zecto which is perfectly good, but the Nebula looks stupidly visible
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    But, really, also get some mudguards.
    yup - that

I've run Smart, Cateye and Knog - not had a problem with water with any of them - lost two cateyes though - one because it was on a belt clip - totally useless - the other the main body came off during a sportive - bit peeved with that one because it was a good light otherwise.
    Love my Knogs - great lights, easy to move between bikes - runtime doesn't matter too much as they're USB rechargable - so I just charge them up at work if needed.
    Smart is good too - although I have put electrical tape around the joint in the past ...

but it's mostly about using mudguards .. quite frankly I don't want all that up my arse ... and if it's going on the light then isnt the light is going to be quickly covered and useless?
  • As a good run-of-the-mill light, the Zecto gets my vote too. I use a Zefal Swan rear guard as I find full guards a bit of a PITA and it works well for protecting me and my light whilst being easy to remove when needed.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    Moon Nebula or See Sense Icon (Oh and I have a Zecto too which is excellent as per dhope) for me:
    http://www.highonbikes.com/special-offers/gifts-20-50/moon-nebula-cob-led-usb-rechargable-rear-bike-light-laa578.html?gclid=CPO52_zP7coCFUqeGwodShoFIw
    Older See Sense 2.0 125 lumen rear (Collection only though):
    http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/see-sense-2-0-intense-rear-light-125-lumens-p363905
    New Icon with Smart phone this that and the other - oh and an actual power button:
    http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/SeeSense/ICON-Rear-Light/BAUY?gclid=CLefitHS7coCFSPnwgodXhgH_g&gclsrc=aw.ds
    nebula-light-630x472.jpg
    11204530-9544350538378608.jpg
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    edited February 2016
    Going the other way on price, I've got a wilko cheapythat's managed 3 months of winter & road crud without any issues, without mudguards, but attached the back of a pannier.

The lights' got a nice solid o-ring around it, which I've boosted with some Vaseline just to make sure...
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    Exposure Flare, throb mode gives both continuous and changing intensity in one go, usd charge-up, 3 brightness levels, great variety of well-designed attachments available
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    rower63 wrote:
    Exposure Flare, throb mode gives both continuous and changing intensity in one go, usd charge-up, 3 brightness levels, great variety of well-designed attachments available

This ^ and an old lezyne - not sure of the subtype but I bought it with my bike and have pretty much used it since (little rubber button and plastic cap both have been replaced for free by lezyne after pleading phone calls) . The saddle rails mount of the exposure is just very neat, secure, and raises the light to a good level
  • I have a Topeak RedLight Mega:

http://www.topeak.com/products/Lights/redlite_mega

Lasts ages, pretty bright, well sealed and very visible from the side. Not a real eye-burner, and until I damped it with a bit of inner-tube it rattled a bit in the mount. Other than that, very nice indeed.
  • 'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Wow that's one heck of a tail light! 300 lumens? Not sure I'd want to be riding behind that.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    Get some mudguards?
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Moon Nebula again here - its really awesome light, good side visibility, seems really well sealed and comes with a saddle rail mount which is much better than the rubber band seatpost mounts that many others seem to use.
  • rower63 wrote:

I have one of the older battery ones, it's still going after 4 years and is on its 2nd bike, lost a fair bit of paint on with being rubbed by a saddle bag riding home from Brighton on a wet and gritty Sunday.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Any of these recommended lights fit on seatstays? I'm going to bin off the panniers after payday and get a carradice seatpack but I'm going to have to get some new lights too. I've currently got two on the seat post and one on the rack, so all will be useless.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    I've just acquired an Exposure TraceR and am wrestling with how to mount it otherwise than on the seatpost, as I use a carradice. I'm hoping this might be the answer, fixing on the carradice rack - Madison Universal Light Mounting Kit for Madison Pannier Racks:

26342.jpg
  • Ian.B
    prawny wrote:
    Any of these recommended lights fit on seatstays? I'm going to bin off the panniers after payday and get a carradice seatpack but I'm going to have to get some new lights too. I've currently got two on the seat post and one on the rack, so all will be useless.

prawny, this screws into a rack or guard fitting point on the seatstay and looks quite a neat (but not cheap) way to fit a light designed for a seatpost - provided the angles work as it's horizontal not vertical
    27279BLK.jpg

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/paul-gino-light-mount-prod27279/
  • prawny
    Those are both nifty, but I can't see how the first one would fit on an SQR type (can't afford a bagman!) and the second wont work as I've not got rack fixings on my stays :x

My bike is a pain in the 'arris.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Ian.B
    prawny wrote:
    Those are both nifty, but I can't see how the first one would fit on an SQR type (can't afford a bagman!) and the second wont work as I've not got rack fixings on my stays :x

True - I have the bagman. I assumed you had seatstay fittings as you mentioned panniers! Could you fit the SQR low enough so that a saddle rail mounted light is an option?
  • Lezyne strip drive is excellent on seat stays
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • prawny
    Ian.B wrote:
    prawny wrote:

True - I have the bagman. I assumed you had seatstay fittings as you mentioned panniers! Could you fit the SQR low enough so that a saddle rail mounted light is an option?

You think wouldn't you! :lol: I've got an axiom streamliner rack that fits to the brake mountings. It's a tricky one, I've not got the SQR yet so I don't know exactly how it will fit, but I don't really want to get it until I've sorted the light situation out :|

Strip drive looks good, but I've heard lots of stories of leyzene rear lights failing and they aint cheap.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Recently got the Wife a Lezyne Zectro, impressed so far! its usb rechargeable and can either clip to your backpack or mount to the seatpost using the rubber strap.
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • warreng
    warreng Posts: 535
    The Exposure Flare rear light has lasted me 3 winters now. Just a dab of vaseline on the seal every week and it's been perfect
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2016 Genesis Croix de Fer
  • Another recommendation for mudguards, even if it is a basic crudcather/crudguard combination.

For the record I have two cateyes (on the bike not in my head ;) ) one I have had for nearly 20 years now, and although the newer one I have is a lot more effective it's a good back up.
  • prawny wrote:

I can recommend the Moon comet and crescent lights - I have been using both for about 2 years now on a daily commute with no issues at all. They are very visable, especially the comet, and have great battery life with USB recharging. They are both attached to the seat stays with the rubber straps that come as standard as I use a Carradice SQR Slim which is attached to the seat post.
  • WarrenG wrote:
    The Exposure Flare rear light has lasted me 3 winters now. Just a dab of vaseline on the seal every week and it's been perfect

Second this, just starting to need charge everyday but they have lasted me well over the years. Question can you noticed a difference between the modes? Always looked the same to me.
    Moda Prima 2013
    Giant Defy Advanced 1 2014
    Rose Pro DX Cross-3000 'MB' - STOLEN
    Langster SF 2015
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,489
    Lezyne strip drive is excellent on seat stays

Had a Lezyne Zecto rear and it was so good that I just bought the strip drive (the lower power one) and so far it's been great.
  • snipsnap
    snipsnap Posts: 259
    another recommendation for Moon Nebula.

I have one on my Carradice. I use a bagman, and you get a fitting with the nebula so that you can simple clip it on to the Carradice. Easy peasy. plus, you get loads of other mounts for other bikes when not commuting.

immense light - i got mine from evans on a price match with cycle surgery - 29.99
  • RussAlf
    RussAlf Posts: 706
    Exposure Blaze.

I have the Exposure Flare and Blaze, the Blaze is worth the extra cash if you have a longish commute, the burn time is fantastic. For my 3 hours of commuting a day i charge it once a week, with the blaze i was charging them every other day.