When a random person follows you on strava...

pastryboy
pastryboy Posts: 1,385
edited February 2016 in Commuting chat
Their profile is locked and I've no idea who they are - they are only following about 30 people so not just adding any and every one. Is there any way to search multiple flybys to try and establish where our paths have crossed? checked my last couple of rides and no sign of them. I don't particularly want to request to follow them just so I can ask why they're following me.

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,586
    Your wife checking you have been where you say you have been?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    It's the random kudos that confuses me. They don't follow me AFAIK but as soon as I upload a ride I generally get kudos within 5 minutes. Does the ego wonders especially when I've only been out for 5 miles.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • warreng
    warreng Posts: 535
    I got a random following about a month ago who disappeared fairly quickly and his account has now gone.

I had two decent bikes pinched on Tuesday and I'm wondering whether it's linked
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2016 Genesis Croix de Fer
  • vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    random Kudos is one thing (I removed myself from a couple of clubs and it stopped 99% of it) but random following is a different matter. I try & maintain as much security as possible on Strava (secure zones set around home & work addresses so they don't show up on public feeds, any follower requests have to be approved (& I never approve anyone I don't know or haven't met at least a couple of times out on the road). I think you can even remove your own rides from public view on flyby too. There are so many stories about stolen bikes that have clearly been targetted & probably via Strava etc that I reckon it pays to be as careful as you can & make the thieving buggers lives as hard as possible.
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    That's an odd one, give The Roster a try.
    http://labs.strava.com/roster/

Maybe they like the look of your bikes ;)
    But this is why you add an approval step to requests..
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    vimfuego wrote:
    random Kudos is one thing (I removed myself from a couple of clubs and it stopped 99% of it) but random following is a different matter. I try & maintain as much security as possible on Strava (secure zones set around home & work addresses so they don't show up on public feeds, any follower requests have to be approved (& I never approve anyone I don't know or haven't met at least a couple of times out on the road). I think you can even remove your own rides from public view on flyby too. There are so many stories about stolen bikes that have clearly been targetted & probably via Strava etc that I reckon it pays to be as careful as you can & make the thieving buggers lives as hard as possible.
    ^ all that

I'm very careful around the clubs I am in and have reduced that to a minimum now.

Again, followers have to be approved and they have to be someone I know in real life.

Bikes should have very generic names - "blue one", "winter bike" or whatever (rather than "Dura Ace Pinarello with Zipp 808s").
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    marcusjb wrote:
    Bikes should have very generic names - "blue one", "winter bike" or whatever (rather than "Dura Ace Pinarello with Zipp 808s").

My OH got onto my Strava and I've been riding 'Où est mon espresso?' ever since!
  • warreng
    warreng Posts: 535
    vimfuego wrote:

Well, that's where I've cocked up then

As a fellow Epsomite - keep your eyes out as it's the 3rd bike related incident this week
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2016 Genesis Croix de Fer
  • vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    Cheers - will do
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,218
    Ja I have "48x16 single speed" and "club run" bikes.

I have also whacked on the privacy within 100m radius of my gaffe & work place.

In fairness, good luck to the burglar who tries to nick my bikes. It's a fairly big trial for a bunch of badly maintained bikes that only fit a dwarf.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Ja I have "48x16 single speed" and "club run" bikes.

I have also whacked on the privacy within 100m radius of my gaffe & work place.

In fairness, good luck to the burglar who tries to nick my bikes. It's a fairly big trial for a bunch of badly maintained bikes that only fit a dwarf.
    Seeing as you like the Simpsons screenshots

homer+the+clown.gif
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    Thanks for the tip re: the roster thing. Wasn't aware of it. No sign of him though.

I don't have nice bikes so that's ruled out.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    I get lots of kudos from riders in Brazil for some reason. Very strange
    FCN = 4
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    I block people I don't know that give me kudos its not faceplant FFS
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    vimfuego wrote:
    random Kudos is one thing (I removed myself from a couple of clubs and it stopped 99% of it)
    I'm going to try stealing KOMs from any random person that gives me kudos, I think that might be just as effective.
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    vimfuego wrote:
    random Kudos is one thing (I removed myself from a couple of clubs and it stopped 99% of it)
    I'm going to try stealing KOMs from any random person that gives me kudos, I think that might be just as effective.
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    I get lots of kudos from riders in Brazil for some reason. Very strange

Mix the two and you've got a nice holiday!
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    I didn't stop Strava on my morning commute. As a result (pre cropping), I did 7.7 miles in 10 hours 20 minutes. Av. speed 0.8mph
    I got kudos for it. :lol:
  • ben-----
    ben----- Posts: 573
    marcusjb wrote:

I make all my rides private. Does that render bike names private too does anyone know? I guess it does but just want to check.