Tools to carry?

ballochboy
ballochboy Posts: 4
edited February 2016 in MTB beginners
Hi
First time poster.
I have always went out on my bike, with just me on it, no tools or repair kit. However recently I just bought a camelbak mule, and searched on the Internet for necessities to carry in a bike backpack. It came back with the usual answers, food, water, wallet, spare Clothing, and tools. Now looking at the tools, I started to get confused. Basically I don't want to be weighed down with tools that can do the same job. So before I go out and buy the tools, can someone explain what ones of the following I actually need.
1.powerlink Pliers.
2.open/Closing Link Tool.
3.external lock link Pliers.
4. Chain Tool.
As I said I didn't want to buy a load of tools to find out they are for the same job.

Thanks.

Comments

• JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    A decent multi tool will have all you need with exception on pliers, I carry a general purpose pair of mini pliers, good for removing valve stem nuts, gripping cables etc

Here's what I carry:

Pump
    Multi-tool
    Small pair mini pliers (have come in useful)
    Gaffa tape for emergency repairs (e.g splits in tyres) just a small section rolled in itself.
    Spare inner tube and patch kit
    Cable ties
    SRAM quick link
    Small packet assorted nuts and bolts.
    Shock pump (not really needed)

Only think I want to add us CO2 inflator but never needed one yet so may not bother.

Some may take a lot less, I don't find my pack is too heavy
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I carry
    1, Decent multi-tool with Allen keys and chain splitter
    2, Pair of pliers (thin nose) will remove thorns and split a powerlink
    3, A small length of chain and 2 pairs of powerlinks
    4, A shoelace (good for splitting powerlinks)
    5, A short section of spoke bent at both ends to hold a chain while I fit a powerlink
    6, Pump
    7, Decent tyre levers
    8, CO2 inflator
    9, Spare tube
    10, Small section of coke bottle to patch a tear in a tyre sidewall.
    11, Selection of cable ties
    12, Small first aid kit
    13, Emergency contact card
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kinioo
    kinioo Posts: 776
    Bottle opener;
    Blanket;
    Something to wipe off you mouth after tasty sausage roll....
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Well ballochboy, if you come from Balloch then you need midge repellent.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • FishFish wrote:
    Well ballochboy, if you come from Balloch then you need midge repellent.
    :lol: I'm immune, but you are right
  • I'm more looking at the purpose of the following tools
    1.powerlink Pliers.
    4.Chain Tool.
    What's their purposes, do they do the same job just called different names. Do I need them all or get away with only having one.

To me the powerink Pliers and link tool look like the same tool.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    ballochboy wrote:
    Hi
    First time poster.
    I have always went out on my bike, with just me on it, no tools or repair kit. However recently I just bought a camelbak mule, and searched on the Internet for necessities to carry in a bike backpack. It came back with the usual answers, food, water, wallet, spare Clothing, and tools. Now looking at the tools, I started to get confused. Basically I don't want to be weighed down with tools that can do the same job. So before I go out and buy the tools, can someone explain what ones of the following I actually need.

OK, let's take a look . . .
    ballochboy wrote:
    1.powerlink Pliers.

May or may not all be the same thing. You can get separate pliers for splitting and closing power links, or a pair that will do both. And it can be done without either, if you have a bit of practice.
    ballochboy wrote:
    4. Chain Tool.

This usually means the tool that you use to separate chain links that aren't power links. There's no way you'll get it done without one. Often included on bigger multitools.
    ballochboy wrote:
    As I said I didn't want to buy a load of tools to find out they are for the same job.

Thanks.

Get a big paperclip for holding the chain together while you put the link back in. Get a pair of splitting pliers, but keep them in your workshop and learn the no-tools method for when you're out. It looks much cooler. Get a multitool with a chain tool on it.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Another novice here, I carry...

Multitool inc chain splitter
    Tube, levers & repair kit
    Pump
    Swiss Army knife
    Cash, card, phone (agreed, not tools but they'll get me out of most pickles!)
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    Kmc split links are easy to do without any tools, although a large paper clip/bit of bent spoke is a good idea for holding the chain in place.. I've noted that one.!

I don't have a multi tool, as I have lots of suitable Allen keys and screwdrivers that are duplicates from flat packed furniture, leftovers from old tool kits etc. So I just carry 2 Allen keys and a stubby screw driver.

Chain tool, too.

All fits into a plastic takeaway curry container along with a couple of plasters, a couple of dressings, and old roll of electrical tape, probably about 4 feet of tape on it and some antiseptic.

That all lives in my backpack so I don't need to worry about packing it.

Mini pump lives in frame, and tube, levers patches live in the saddle bag.
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    If your riding with friends buy a very small 3l camelback or similar and use your riding buddies tools, they can often be coerced into carrying waterproofs mobile etc due to not being able to fit everything in yours.
  • mattyfez
    Haha.. That's a really good way of pissing your buddies off.. I'm all for spreading the load out, for example why carry 7 pumps with 7 riders when one or two will do. Some can carry pumps, some others food, or whatever But you won't make many friends expecting others to have tools, tubes or whatever for you.

But I guess your comment was meant as a joke!
  • mattyfez
    I was out on a ride once, 3 of us and one, unknown to me was on heart pills which meant his blood didnt clot well.. Guess who had an off and cut his leg?

I had some small bandages and some tape so we managed to strap him up and ride back.. It wasn't that dramatic as we were only an hours ride home, but what really annoyed me were some comments about not having enough bandages (they were the kind you get from the dentist when you have a tooth pulled out).

I was the only person who had bothered to carry any kind of first aid.
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    But I guess your comment was meant as a joke!

Aye, and I'm usually the one coerced into carrying the overspill. Don't mind when it's a newbie but have mates been who have been pulling that trick for over 10 years. :roll: :D
  • How much things to you all break on the trail haha.

So far I have been limited to flats, the worst was going through all my patches an innertube and an innertube from someone on the group then losing everyone getting another flat and pushing it back.

All I have in my pack is,

Spare Tube
    Patches
    Pump
    Energy Gels

Am I riding soft haha
  • Taking energy gels seems to indicate you do some longer rides.. Say you have an off and your handlebars et knocked pretty far out of line.. Wouldn't you rather have a set of Allen keys to right it?

Think that's the mentality of most who carry their toolkit on their back. (Myself included)
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    After lots of years riding I have really minimised what I carry.
    Multi tool with Allan keys, T25 torn bit and screw drivers.
    Chain tool.
    Spare mech hanger.
    Power link.
    Spare tube.
    Jelly snakes.
    Phone
    Car keys
    Beer money.
  • Cable ties. Its a well known fact everything can be fixed with cable ties.
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    edited February 2016
    After lots of years riding I have really minimised what I carry.
    Multi tool with Allan keys, T25 torn bit and screw drivers.
    Chain tool.
    Spare mech hanger.
    Power link.
    Spare tube.
    Jelly snakes.
    Phone
    Car keys
    Beer money.
    Yep, that's pretty much it. Just add a few cable ties and a spoke key and remove the jelly snakes (yuk!)

Edit: and a mini pump of course. Spare tubes are just XS baggage without a pump
  • Taking energy gels seems to indicate you do some longer rides.. Say you have an off and your handlebars et knocked pretty far out of line.. Wouldn't you rather have a set of Allen keys to right it?

Think that's the mentality of most who carry their toolkit on their back. (Myself included)

Average is 20-30 miles like everyone I guess? Not had a bad off since the teens where I got winded and knocked out. Bike was fine. Maybe it is a sign of me not riding hard enough.

Never had a crash bad enough or witnessed one that needs repair. But in Yorkshire it's mainly up and up with rain.
  • Either that or your skill as a rider far exceeds mine. (Very possible) I've only had a couple of offs that require any mechanical input. But better safe than walking 15 miles :)
  • I class myself as average but know my limits.

When I start putting a foot out for balance I know I have reached my limit.

But I only do XC and am wanting to try trial centers this year or bike parks.

Not had an off since the teens, but that could be me being slow, or knowing when to try.

Or more realistically luck.

I've walked 5 miles before with the bike after countless flats.
  • Must be a limits thing.. If I'm hanging a foot off I just assume I'm pushing hard, but carry on regardless.

Only an off slows me down afterwards.. Which is why I'll never ride dh.. The pain scares me, and I know is fall off sooner rather than later :)
  • If I am putting a foot out I know I have reached my limit :)

I am not he man but I know where I feel comfortable.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Binned off a lot of stuff I dont need when riding so gone down to this.

Multitool
    Leatherman - thin nose type with a cutter section
    Spare mech hanger
    Big tyre lever for less fannying around
    first aid kit
    Cable ties
    Gaffer tape
    Spare tube
    Puncture kit
    Mini pump
    Beer/cake money
    Phone
    Spare lump of chain and quick links

I have an ICE band on my wrist so unless I loose the arm its on im all good, mastered getting quick links open an closed with pliers. Out of the lot the biggest thing is the first aid kit, but its proven useful many times though so I wouldnt hesitate to carry it. Otherwise I could get pretty much all of that into a large drinks bottle (tube may prove a challenge).
    You just need to think what can be used for other things like gaffer tape, old spokes cable ties all have uses.

With a multi tool id say once youve got one use it on an old chain so you know exactly how it works. somes daft but better to sit working things out now rather than in the wet an cold.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    If I am putting a foot out I know I have reached my limit :)

Foot out is poor technique. By keeping feet on you have better position on the bike and can push tyres in to the ground better. You can Corner much faster with feet up and outside pedal down.
  • If I am putting a foot out I know I have reached my limit :)

Foot out is poor technique. By keeping feet on you have better position on the bike and can push tyres in to the ground better. You can Corner much faster with feet up and outside pedal down.

Yeah think I will probably agree with you on that, but don't really feel comfortable or trust my tires too much for that. Think it is the lack of trust in my tires front sometimes feels like it wants to wash out so I've just got in to a habit of dangling the foot of "in-case".

Think I could probably do with going on a skills course tbh, always picked up some good things from them in the past for other disciplines.
  • I carry a spare gear cable also having it snap your limited to the small cog which round my way is hard with the hills
  • No you're not, use the stops
  • and my list

Multitool with chain breaker
    Multi knife and pilers
    tub of bolts (spare clit bolts, rear light batteries, spare Reverb barb for the handbar control, having broken one while out makes that un useable, chain bits and split links)
    Pump
    2 tubes (running tubeless)
    Good tyre leavers
    loads of cables ties
    2 spare gear cables (weight nothing)
    USB cable for phone
    sim adapater to make full size (never know)
    with riding at night (2 batteries for head light, one had a USB socket for phone charging if needed) and a battery for handle bar light also with USB socket)
    Mech Hanger

may need to add some tape and things to patch a side wall looking at the above
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    if your running tubes a good pair of tyre levers as I found out last week trying to get the tyre back on the rim tight bead and a not so good tyre lever which I ended up snapping the end off, luckily had a patch kit in my bag with some more which were better and easier to get tyre back on.

Other than that I just carry multi tool, small pump which is a mini track pump, patch kit, tube, some tweezers and a few little bits that may need chain links etc.