Standing the bike upright

N1TRO
N1TRO Posts: 103
edited February 2016 in Road general
Right! I know this is an age-old problem and a near impossibility as far as physics go, but...

Imagine you ride by a particularly scenic spot and you'd like to take a picture of your bike in front of it. Yet there's either nothing to lean it against or the thing you'd be leaning it next to just doesn't cut it. In short, you'd like the bike to appear as if it's standing upright by itself. Anyone got any gravity-defying tips or tricks on that matter? :D

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The way the pro photographers do it is to nail the rim to the floor. Just keep 2 spare tubes with you to get home again
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Axle support and photoshop
  • debeli
    debeli Posts: 583
    I'm pretty sure this is a spoof thread, but I'm a sucker for these things....

If you really feel the need to do this, then find a rock or lump of wood or similar and wedge it under a lowered pedal. With a little careful balancing (and anyone to whom these issues are important will have infinite patience for these things) you will get the bike upright - or a degree or so off - and picture-ready.

But taking a picture of your own bicycle? Really? With a view behind it?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,594
    Debeli wrote:
    I'm pretty sure this is a spoof thread, but I'm a sucker for these things....

If you really feel the need to do this, then find a rock or lump of wood or similar and wedge it under a lowered pedal. With a little careful balancing (and anyone to whom these issues are important will have infinite patience for these things) you will get the bike upright - or a degree or so off - and picture-ready.

But taking a picture of your own bicycle? Really? With a view behind it?
    That is the correct serious answer.
    But why spoil the view?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • N1TRO
    You can always just take the picture as it is, with no bike in the frame and no delicate balancing required. It's the obvious thing to do if you want to capture the moment. But some people might enjoy photographing their bikes in different settings and backdrops - I for one take my DSLR with me from time to time and look for cool spots to shoot, it makes for a nice variation to the routine.

I know it's a silly thing to talk about, falling over is the only thing bikes do if left by themselves. Apart from maybe getting stolen. Bit I'm thinking maybe one of the tens of people who visit this blog regularly, there might be someone who's thought about this before and bodged together a solution. :)
  • Throw the bike in the air wait for it to fall, then take your shot just as it lands.
  • fudgey
    fudgey Posts: 854
    Use 'The Force'

Readily available from Wiggle, comes with free Haribo (usually)
    My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...
  • bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    Take a garden cane with you (tape it to the top tube), stick it in the ground and use that to balance against (you can hide it behind the down tube it you angle it right).
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )
  • Set the camera up on timer, hold the bike upright, then dive out the way just as it's about to go off. Or failing that, if you have a friend who can make themselves invisible I'd take them along.
  • One of those clip on bike stand things? Clip it to your chain stay and use as and when you need it.
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    You need the bloke on the left to hold it up while you take your snap.

randallhopkirkdeceased.jpg
  • CiB wrote:

:lol: What was the name of this show?
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    seanorawe wrote:
    CiB wrote:

Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased) IIRC.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    Daniel B wrote:
    seanorawe wrote:
    CiB wrote:

Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased) IIRC.
    Used to be shown on Sunday afternoons in the early 70s. I wonder if it'll be repeated on one of the
    cable channels after the re-run of the Avengers. You know, the one with the characters of Emma Peel
    (Diana Rigg) and John Steed (Patrick Macnee).
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Figure out which way the Earth is rotating, and then let the bike fall against the Earth's rotation - it is bound to stay upright.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Throw the bike in the air wait for it to fall, then take your shot just as it lands.
    but make sure you're using a very high shutter speed, or you will have to ride home on a blurry bike
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    De Sisti wrote:
    Used to be shown on Sunday afternoons in the early 70s. I wonder if it'll be repeated on one of the
    cable channels after the re-run of the Avengers. You know, the one with the characters of Emma Peel
    (Diana Rigg) and John Steed (Patrick Macnee).
    Last I heard SyFy had bought the rights a few years ago and were planning a remake but with an up-to-date feel and only a nod to the original. Good thing too; it was fun, but hopelessly crap both acting and 'effects'. Btw it was first shown towards the end of 1969 on Friday nights in the midlands on ATV. Other regions varied, and none showed the whole run.
  • N1TRO
    Splendid suggestions all, though they were beaten by a plastic cup...

Granted that that bike probably stands upright by itself in the first place.
    10pad02.jpg