Using Zwift

RoadRacer1973
RoadRacer1973 Posts: 20
edited February 2016 in Road beginners
Hi all,
Hope someone could help me My son wants to use this Zwift via his computer but I'm a bit stumped with collecting the gear for it.
We have a Turbo Trainer and I'm setting up the basic way via a Classic Trainer.
I know i have to select the Elite Mag Force for my trainer but that's not my question.
Call me dumb or not but I'm struggling with this ANT+
His bike has 2 computers on it:
1. Cateye Velo Wireless Cycle Computer
2. Cateye Strada Cadence Wired.

What i need to know is will these computers work if i buy a ANT+ Dongle to use Zwift?
Or do i need a computer which says ANT+ because i really don't know!
I'm totally confused with all the different models of Cycling computers.

I just don't want to buy the wrong items I tried to contact Zwift and they helped me to a point but i just need this final push to get me over the line

Can someone help me and make my son a happy chappy?
If his Computers won't work for this ANT+ can anyone put me on the right line to buying one.
Regards Johnny.

Comments

• Hi,

You don't require a Cycle Computer you only require a Speed Sensor (like the Garmin GSC10) and the Ant+ Dongle for the computer so it can receive the info, an Ant+ heart rate monitor would also be ideal.
    The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.
  • Thanks for the reply.
    The bike has a Speed Sensor and a Cadence sensor.
    It's a "wired Cateye Strada speed and Cadence sensor" Speed sensor is connected to the back wheel and the Cadence fixed to the pedal
    Would this be ok ?
    Just lost with this ANT+ part i don't know if i need a particular model that states ANT+.
    Sorry if i sound Dumb just fairly new to this.
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    Thanks for the reply.
    The bike has a Speed Sensor and a Cadence sensor.
    It's a "wired Cateye Strada speed and Cadence sensor" Speed sensor is connected to the back wheel and the Cadence fixed to the pedal
    Would this be ok ?
    No, you need a speed sensor that specifically supports ANT+ and an ANT+ dongle plugged into the laptop.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • Cheers mate.
    Thanks for the help guys
    Appreciated.
  • Yes, Ant+ is just a communication technology like Bluetooth, so an Ant+ Dongle (an example below) would turn your Desktop Computer into a Bicycle Computer so Zwift (and other apps like TrainerRoad) can receive the Ant+ signals;
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Suunto-Mini-Mov ... B0050GL5GM

You then need the additional device like the Garmin GSC10 (linked below but many others will work) to send the info to your Desktop Computer;
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Cadence- ... rmin+gsc10

Any Ant+ Heart Rate Monitor should also work Ok but you do not need one to run Zwift.
    The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.
  • Brilliant thanks again.
  • I do wonder why people get confused in this way - No offence to the OP because a *lot* of people ask the question of 'will my cycle computer work with Zwift', so it's curious as to why people think a cycle computer is needed.
  • The zwift website is pretty useful and does explain in detail what is needed.