New to this - which bike?

zakswfc
zakswfc Posts: 9
edited February 2016 in MTB beginners
Hi all,

Wanting a mountain bike.

I thinks it's a hardtail/Xc/trail or something?

Basically I have 400 to spend maybe a bit more if need be.

Anyone give me some pointers on what to look for as a minimum etc?

I have looked at the following so far what you all think.

Help much appreciated.

Thanks

Zak

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/m ... -bike-2015

http://www.ukbikesdepot.com/m15b192s864 ... S_GB/52130

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/m ... -bike-2015

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/m ... ntain-bike

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Of those the Voodoo based on the descrption - Suntour XCR forks are ok, but the picture has XCM, so i'd check before you hand over any money. Also look at Decathlon and Go Outdoors for their Calibre bikes.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Of those the Voodoo based on the descrption - Suntour XCR forks are ok, but the picture has XCM, so i'd check before you hand over any money. Also look at Decathlon and Go Outdoors for their Calibre bikes.
    thanks for your response

does that mean i should opt for xcr over xcm because i see these two a bit when around the 400 mark.

also what should i choose over clarks and tecktro breaks? that is if my budget prevents shimano which i believe are better?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Go outdoors two.two is the best you can get with that money.

The picture of the Bantu shows an XCM fork (you can read it on it) the description states it has an XCR which is a useful improvement, that is what CD is saying, you won't get a choice, but I wouldn't get it if it does come with an XCM as you can get that for less money.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jamski
    jamski Posts: 737
    I can vouch for the two.two. Will be good straight from the shop, and with a couple of minor upgrades which fall well within your budget it's even better!
    Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
    Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    The Calibre two.two from Go Outdoors is a cracking bike for the money, especially at the reduced price of £380.

Also have a look at the Rockrider 560 from Decathlon if you can stretch to £450.

How about a Giant Talon 2 from Paul's Cycles for £450?

Alternatively look at getting a good second-hand bike. You need to take someone with you who knows about bikes when looking at second-hand though.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • JBA wrote:
    The Calibre two.two from Go Outdoors is a cracking bike for the money, especially at the reduced price of £380.

Also have a look at the Rockrider 560 from Decathlon if you can stretch to £450.

How about a Giant Talon 2 from Paul's Cycles for £450?

Alternatively look at getting a good second-hand bike. You need to take someone with you who knows about bikes when looking at second-hand though.

the calibre im put off with the wheel size?
    the other two look good but arent they expensive to say they have tecktro breaks?
  • The Rookie
    What do you think is wrong with Tektro brakes?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    This was one of my question to you guys.
    My understanding is that 400 wouldn't get shimano however gets either Clarkes or Texktro. Which are better?
  • jamski
    zakswfc wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:
    This was one of my question to you guys.
    My understanding is that 400 wouldn't get shimano however gets either Clarkes or Texktro. Which are better?

The two.two is a full Shimano group set including the brakes. 26" wheels have been around forever and always used to be the only option. For the money at this moment in time it's the best bike.
  • The Rookie
    I would consider Clarkes inferior, but Tektro I've found to be as good as low end Shimano, similar performance and feel and not unreliable.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    I would consider Clarkes inferior, but Tektro I've found to be as good as low end Shimano, similar performance and feel and not unreliable.

Thanks all. so far i am thinking i want XCR folks instead of the XCM
    Tecktro maybe edge Clarkes

From the four on my opening posty, im thinking the bantu but spotted this
    http://www.ukbikesdepot.com/m15b0s864p1 ... _Bike_2015

what are these like in comparison to the Voodoo?

Really appreciate your here guys.

Zak
  • jamski
    zakswfc wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

Zak

I would say this one has every so slightly better components to the Voodoo but the Voodo looks better imo, and you'd get the reassurance of buying from a shop. If your dead set on not having 26" wheels I'd probably go for the Voodoo. If your really going to get into this then you could well end up wanting a better bike in 12 months or so anyway and find a way to finance that. That's my plan. That's the point to get picky, right now I'd go for the best bike for the buck regardless of wheel size.
  • jamski wrote:
    zakswfc wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

Zak

I would say this one has every so slightly better components to the Voodoo but the Voodo looks better imo, and you'd get the reassurance of buying from a shop. If your dead set on not having 26" wheels I'd probably go for the Voodoo. If your really going to get into this then you could well end up wanting a better bike in 12 months or so anyway and find a way to finance that. That's my plan. That's the point to get picky, right now I'd go for the best bike for the buck regardless of wheel size.

Thanks mate and yes you are exactly right, In 12 months i might go a bit mental!
    Right up till I was around 17 (27 now) I was really bike crazy but stopped riding when I started driving so again I can see myself getting really into although it has really changed since then and I barely know a thing anymore.
  • jamski
    zakswfc wrote:
    jamski wrote:
    zakswfc wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

Zak

Thanks mate and yes you are exactly right, In 12 months i might go a bit mental!
    Right up till I was around 17 (27 now) I was really bike crazy but stopped riding when I started driving so again I can see myself getting really into although it has really changed since then and I barely know a thing anymore.

I'm a few years older than you, nearly 33, but am exactly the same. Was bike mad until I left school I guess, went to bike 98 at the NEC with a mate, still remember it vividly. Until 6 months ago I didn't have a clue. It's great getting back into it though, and learning a lot, everything has changed. Hoping I ride enough this year to justify a full suspension. Seem to be able to pick something decent up for £1k. That's why I'd just get the best you can now, but the voodoo looks like a nice bike. :) All that matters is it gets you riding again!
  • The Rookie
    The Orbea is quite nice at that price.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    The Orbea is quite nice at that price.
    Don't say that when I have just planned to pick up the voodoo tonight lol
  • Hi All,

Thanks for all your comments, it was a big help in choosing the bantu.

Got it Thursday and went out on my first ride Sunday. Went with 3 mates and took on 52.6km on the TPT.

Ouch!!!!

Looking forward to many of these.

Cheers guys

Zak
  • The Rookie
    Good effort, glad you are enjoying it!