Turbo trainer wheel

Dannyboy1971
Dannyboy1971 Posts: 3
edited February 2016 in Cyclocross
Can I put on another rear wheel with trainer tyre so that I don't have to keep changing tyres on existing rear wheel :?:

Comments

• Yes.

But if your asking this as a serious question it's probably technically beyond you.
  • Thanks also today I rode 5 miles thinking ride was a bit sluggish and then realised I hadn't pumped up rear tyre :lol:
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Ok..
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    I had a training ride a bit like that; running sections were fine, but the bike just didn't seem to be going anywhere when I pedalled. Turned out I'd forgotten to refit the chain after cleaning it...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Also - not all turbos destroy tyres. The wear on mine is no worse than the wear off the road - so I'm happy to use normal tyres. Saves on an extra wheel, turbo tyre and faff.
  • tgotb
    Fenix wrote:
    Also - not all turbos destroy tyres. The wear on mine is no worse than the wear off the road - so I'm happy to use normal tyres. Saves on an extra wheel, turbo tyre and faff.
    Depends on your tyres. No way my £60 cotton-sidewall tubs are going anywhere near a turbo trainer.

Quite often see people warming up on rollers at CX races. I'm guessing they must use different wheels or pump their tyres up quite hard; when I put my bike on rollers with the tyres at race pressures, the rims bottom out as soon as I put my weight on it.

In any case, turbo wheels are cheap; most people I know picked theirs up for nothing. Doesn't matter if the bearings are shot and the rim worn out; so long as the wheel's true enough to go round without rubbing and the cassette has a bit of life in it, you're good to go. If you only have one set of wheels for your CX bike, you probably haven't been doing it for long...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I'm thinking not many people use £60 tubs - clearly thats a different case.

(and I reckon a good 80% of turbos never see enough use to cause any noticeable wear whatsoever !)
  • tgotb
    Fenix wrote:
    I'm thinking not many people use £60 tubs - clearly thats a different case.

(and I reckon a good 80% of turbos never see enough use to cause any noticeable wear whatsoever !)
    Not many people use £60 tubs, but even less people do their pre-race warm up on turbos or rollers. I'd hazard a guess that pretty much everyone who makes the effort to warm up on a turbo or rollers is also going to be racing on decent tubs.
    Pannier, 120rpm.