New helmet...

menthel
menthel Posts: 2,484
edited February 2016 in Commuting chat
So I crashed (again) and my bike landed on my head, leaving the mojito with a couple of dents but no cracks. Question is do I crash replace for about £70 or go for something for about the same price, giro savant or something similar?
RIP commute...
Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,572
    menthel wrote:
    So I crashed (again) and my bike landed on my head, leaving the mojito with a couple of dents but no cracks. Question is do I crash replace for about £70 or go for something for about the same price, giro savant or something similar?

If it would fit, have you considered/tried a Lazer Genesis or Helium?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • menthel
    The plan is to get something about the same as the replacement cost. Although two crashes in Kask helmets out of two, I might be getting superstitious...
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    do you like the kask?
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • menthel
    rubertoe wrote:
    do you like the kask?

Mostly, although it did rub a little at the front with a cap underneath.
    RIP commute...
  • Do Kask do a crash replacement?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • menthel
    Do Kask do a crash replacement?

Yep, half retail price plus postage there and back.
    RIP commute...
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,572
    edited February 2016
    menthel wrote:
    The plan is to get something about the same as the replacement cost. Although two crashes in Kask helmets out of two, I might be getting superstitious...

The Helium is less than half price iirc at Fatbirds. Top line helmet.
    http://www.fatbirds.co.uk/advancedsearch.aspx?Term=helium

Those are £150 down to £70 - aeroshell lids also available for £7 instead of £15, stunning deals.

If your original lid was causing you some issues, personally I would be looking elsewhere.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Aren't some places doing the mojito's for £60 still? Rutland maybe?

I've had a Met Sine Thesis for probably far too long and that is comfy and cool, I think I paid about £70 for it, don't know what they go for now though.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • menthel wrote:

I have the savant, i'd recommend it
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    Another vote for the Lazers
    FCN 3 / 4
  • menthel
    Thanks all, I do have quite a big noggin so I might go and see what I can try on, especially with a cap underneath. I like wearing caps! ;)
    RIP commute...
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Caps are ace, I can't remember the last time I went out without one under my helmet.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    look at the giro foray helmet, its huge and really comfy.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    spasypaddy wrote:
    And basically the Synthe, minus £100 and some mesh
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • menthel
    dhope wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:
    And basically the Synthe, minus £100 and some mesh

Its only a pound less than the Savant on Wiggle. I blame them for all this.
    RIP commute...
  • menthel
    Popped into sigma and tried a few on. Giro range are very comfy. Didn't get on with the laser. Will go for a savant I think, unfortunately sigma had none in stock!
    RIP commute...
  • The Bell Alchera caters well for those of us with bigger and more elliptical noggins, I got one two years ago to replace my "smashed to smithereens" Met Testagrossa after my RTA on the Tricross.

In hindsight, I should have looked at the Met crash replacement policy, albeit the helmet was ~5 years old when I had the big off.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    The Bell Alchera caters well for those of us with bigger and more elliptical noggins, I got one two years ago to replace my "smashed to smithereens" Met Testagrossa after my RTA on the Tricross.

In hindsight, I should have looked at the Met crash replacement policy, albeit the helmet was ~5 years old when I had the big off.

Oh, thanks for that info. My Met Crossover XL was a replacement for a testagrossa, and I've just replaced it with another Crossover XL. Will look at that bell next time... ( hoping there isn't a next time 8) )
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...