Fit and forget bottom bracket... Hopefully.

StinkinHippy
StinkinHippy Posts: 160
edited February 2016 in MTB buying advice
So the standard rubbish bottom bracket on my boardman has started to sound like bearings destroying themselves and being a sealed system, there's not much I can do now, so after people's advice on a cheap replacement.

Current job is a 68mm shell and splined bits for the cranks. http://www.fullspeedahead.com/products/ ... m-bracket/

Might be replacing cranks at some point but definitely can't afford to right now.. So must be a direct replacement.

Also, after getting the replacement, if it's a sealed bearing system, is there any sort of preventative maintainance that will help it stay functional?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Don't jetwash otherwise not really.
    And a bump to get above the pages and pages of wankershit.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    And a bump to get above the pages and pages of wankershit.

Ha ha. Appreciate that :) did wonder if the thread would ever see the light of day, but I guess it survived :)
  • Agree, no pressure washers. Never had a sealed BB fail.

I use something like this but bought from Wilko http://www.amazon.co.uk/Handle-Plastic-Bottle-Pressurized-Sprayer/dp/B008AGVE8S

I'm limited to a balcony for washing and find it really good, before was just a bucket.
  • Yeah I have a slightly beefier version of that, but seriously doubt it's at jetwash levels.. A standard hose pipe puts out better pressure :)

So onto the other part of my question.. Any go to brackets that don't cost a fortune?

Is FSA ISIS the same thing as Shimano Octilink, or am
    I restricted to FSA brackets?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Current job is a 68mm shell and splined bits for the cranks. http://www.fullspeedahead.com/products/ ... m-bracket/

Might be replacing cranks at some point but definitely can't afford to right now.. So must be a direct replacement.
    You need to know which splined type as there are a few different ones and they all look similar, what cranks (make and model) are fitted?

If you are thinking of changing later I'd go one of two ways
    1/ Save up and hope the BB lasts until you can afford £50 ish for some Deore HT2
    2/ Fit a cheap as possible BB that works so you have some to put towards saving up the £50 ish for some Deore HT2

Did I mention Deore HT2, excellent cranks, fairly light, stiff and durable, the BB isn't the best but once it goes you can get a better Shimano BB for not much that will last a fair while.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,364
    Often hear complaints about FSA Bottom brackets. Had one fail on my Kona a few years back, another one went not long after as I was stuck with FSA. Made sure I got a full Shimano grouspet on my next bike. As Rookie said, go for a cheap Shimano HT crankset and once the first BB fails you have far more choice of better replacements.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I agree. When you can, get a Shimano HT2 cranks (Deore are very good value) and when thr bottom bracket fails buy an XTR replacement and forget about it for a couple years.
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    I agree with the couple of posts above,if your bottom bracket like the ISIS ones of old I don't think anyone made a good one,I had some early Raceface turbine cranks and would need a new bb every 4 months or so no matter what make i bought,a new set of shimano's will also be quite alot stiffer as well
  • Okay, so guess I put up with the cracking and just save up a bit.

Thanks folks :)