Steel Merckx frames considerations and questions

duke01
duke01 Posts: 4
edited February 2016 in Vintage bikes forum
Hi

My Merckx Strada is getting a new fork (see why on an old thread on this forum); I have chosen a MX Leader fork because that's the first one I've found. I turns out to be an acclaimed design among steel riders: an innovative fork, larger in diameter which would give incredible sensations bla bla. Ok, good for me! Now I have noticed 2 things:

- the fork is chromed under the paint. Can I strip the paint off and leave it like that, unprotected? (It's not a nice paint job at all, a chromed fork is cool while unmatching frame and forks are not...)

- By having both forks running parallel to each other, side to side, I see that my wheel will be 1/2 inch further away from the BB. "more stable and less nervous" Is it gonna make that much difference? Anyone has experience with that?

Thanks for your comments

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    1. Yes, however the caveat is that oxidation will occur but nothing major you won't be able to handle with a tad of Solvol occasionally.

2. Yes as 1/2 inch is actually quite significant - it will increase trail and therefore stability and slow down steering. But hey, you'll get used to it and it may even make the ride nice and chilled out.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.