Ridley Scott

edrobbin
edrobbin Posts: 173
edited April 2016 in Commuting chat
...I am most certainly not, but I finish my contract at the end of this week, so have Go-Pro's my morning & evening commutes. I will be putting them on YouTube soon for prosperity & to show off my extensive skills and bike handling repartee.. :D

Currently got ~25mins of footage each way, so got a lot of editing to do. A predictable mix of messing about in traffic & long open stretches & I've only got iMovie to do the editing. I say only, but it's not that bad. I've only ever done one movie before - MTB in the snow, and that was OK, but not going to win any awards.

So - any advice for a video editing noob?

- length
- sound-track (thrash metal - too corny, Clash London calling - again too corny, Nursery rhyme...??)
- snipping bits together
- captions
- fast-forward/slow-mo

"Rushes" (I think that's what they're called) show the camera angle a bit low on my first effort, so I'll repeat that tonight. Also shows how utterly ridiculous some of my filtering is - some teeny weeny gaps, rubbing shoulders with buses etc - final cut should be quite interesting.
Waterloo - White City

Cannondale Quick Carbon 1 2016
Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 3 26" (Lefty) :D

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    That will be an incredibly dull Youtube video. Commuting through traffic has all the benefits that we bang on about here. Watching someone else do it has none. Do you want to be that guy that uploads his commutes to the internet?
    (lets ignore my commutes ending up on Strava for the purposes of my little diatribe :oops:)

My suggestion for the length of the movie would be 0 seconds. At that length you shouldn't need to worry too much about sound track, snipping bits or captions.

You can use the saved time to take the MTB off somewhere where there are no buses to rub shoulders with.
    Or reskilling in prep for the next contract.

Sorry (not sorry).
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • You could take a look at Microsoft Hyperlapse Pro to make things a little more interesting.
    The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.
  • edrobbin
    dhope wrote:
    That will be an incredibly dull Youtube video. Commuting through traffic has all the benefits that we bang on about here. Watching someone else do it has none. Do you want to be that guy that uploads his commutes to the internet?
    (lets ignore my commutes ending up on Strava for the purposes of my little diatribe :oops:)

My suggestion for the length of the movie would be 0 seconds. At that length you shouldn't need to worry too much about sound track, snipping bits or captions.

You can use the saved time to take the MTB off somewhere where there are no buses to rub shoulders with.
    Or reskilling in prep for the next contract.

Sorry (not sorry).

Fair point well made - you'll be seeing the full 50 minutes then...

in other news, my next contract is likely to be in Oswestry.....starting Monday. Will have to put the hybrid into storage and dust off the MTB. Rural commuting, yay!
    Waterloo - White City

• dhope
    edrobbin wrote:

If you slo-mo it you could stretch it to hours, maybe add in some rewinds for the really juicy stuff, like that time the pedestrian nearly stepped out but didn't :twisted:

Congrats on the new contract, always nice when there's not much time on the bench
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • I've just got a camera too. I posted some stuff on cyclechat and got very negative reactions. It seems people don't like cam footage.
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Bonfire wrote:
    I've just got a camera too. I posted some stuff on cyclechat and got very negative reactions. It seems people don't like cam footage.

I think there are just too many car vs cycle stuff. I ride with a camera, but don't post anything unless it's to report it to the police ( done that twice now in 3 months of commuting).
    Off road stuff can be good to watch, depending on where, who etc, but again so much of it around, most have seen similar before.

Perhaps you should point it at wall of drying paint for 10 hours and see what people think of that instead?
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • edrobbin
    https://youtu.be/ZBiInnBbBSw

I am braced for your wrath....
    Waterloo - White City

• I love the stopping at the red lights: panting like a go-pro dog!
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,572
    Andre_greipel_Ridley_Noah_FB.jpg
    1__19792_zoom.jpg
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • dhope
    edrobbin wrote:
    https://youtu.be/ZBiInnBbBSw

I am braced for your wrath....
    Yep, that's commuting footage alright :wink:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • edrobbin
    Daniel B wrote:
    Andre_greipel_Ridley_Noah_FB.jpg
    1__19792_zoom.jpg

nice - took me a while to figure that out...
    Waterloo - White City

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,572
    :-)

Liked the vid by the way.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • edrobbin
    edited February 2016
    Screen_Shot_2016_02_02_at_21_41_08.png

From the cutting room floor 8) :lol:

[sad as I am, this is now my desktop picture. I'm 3 days into a non-cycling job, and it fekking sucks. Living 1.5m from work in the bowels of the Shropshire/Wales border & need sat nav to even get me to Sainsbury's and back. Forgive the nostalgia, but I'm fekking missing the London ride. Really missing it. My legs are screaming at me, and...sniff...I...sniff...wanna go back to Lon..flippin...Don]

Over reacting, OK now, going to leave work early and get some miles in tomorrow....
    Waterloo - White City

• edrobbin
    Screen_Shot_2016_02_02_at_22_01_27.png

RLJ and with a girl's umbrella - good effort....
    Waterloo - White City

• edrobbin
    Screen_Shot_2016_02_02_at_22_05_51.png

Rogues' gallery...
    Waterloo - White City

• edrobbin
    Screen_Shot_2016_02_02_at_22_09_23.png

R hand filtering - the jury's out...
    Waterloo - White City

• Couple of bits where you go to the right of traffic islands where there are 'keep left' signs so you can get to the front of the queue...

I understand why you did it as it made turning right at the lights safer but it's definitely not legal.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    dhope wrote:
    That will be an incredibly dull Youtube video.

And, as we now know, it makes for incredibly dull stills as well! :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • edrobbin
    dhope wrote:
    edrobbin wrote:

If you slo-mo it you could stretch it to hours, maybe add in some rewinds for the really juicy stuff, like that time the pedestrian nearly stepped out but didn't :twisted:

Congrats on the new contract, always nice when there's not much time on the bench

OK, had 3 weeks in Oswestry - 1 20 mile road ride on what turned out to be the shittest road in England/Wales, at night, with HGVs..

Then 2 weeks in Barnsley - no cycling, just pies

Then a month in Milton Keynes - worst month of my life....

Then 2 weeks 'resting' as I put it, 'unemployed' according to wife. 3 x MTB over the Purbecks - really made that Lefty sing for its supper - realised just how wonderful rocks n mud really is. Went for an interview for a job in Harrow - purely on the commuting from Waterloo potential, ultimately unsuccessful, probably for the best. 2 x road trips with wife/friends - 2 of the most frustrating hours each time. Did it again on my lonesome and clocked 1:30 for the same route - I have an obsession with going flat out, all the time - not good when you have more chilled out company.

With that in mind, did a 55 mile road trip on the commuter - purely to prove to myself that I can pace myself. Never done that sort of ride before. Sticking to 15mph average speed is not easy - and I failed, badly. Even knowing I had a long, long way to go, I found it so easy to notch it up to 17-18-19mph, then have to reign myself back. Then - seeing hi-vis in the distance, had to haul in then drop one of those weird bendy handlebar cyclists - and that was at 20 of 55 miles. Suffice to say I bonked at 50 miles and cried/wimpered the last few.

Now back in Barnsley, finishing up week 1 of a 2 week contract. According to my agency, looking like the West country next. Shame as I was hoping to get back to London-village, but have to follow the work.

There we go, posting tedious you-tube, then tedious stills, now tedious life history - yes, I am bored shitless in a Premier Inn (expenses..)

GBW
    Waterloo - White City

• jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    edrobbin wrote:
    I'm fekking missing the London ride. Really missing it.
    Why? Riding in London sucks. It beats the alternatives (most days) but this is not cycling nirvana. It's a grind and - as the feedback on your thread shows - it's not very interesting, even to us cyclists ;)
    edrobbin wrote:
    Living 1.5m from work in the bowels of the Shropshire/Wales border
    A 1.5 mile commute sounds fantastic to me - all that commuting time saved to do whatever you fancy, like go for a ride on empty roads in the clean air...