MTB guide 2016

Fabster75
Fabster75 Posts: 6
edited April 2016 in MTB beginners
Hi guys!

I made a bike guide with some of the most recognized MTB brands and models out there, it's basically a visual guide to help anyone who wants to buy and does not know where to begin looking.

Here it is...

http://l1.picsurge.com/0QFkMZ/MTB%20brands%20and%20models%202016.jpg

Hope it helps!

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    It's not improved since you posted it here
    viewtopic.php?f=20005&t=13043461
    Still no UK brands or good quality budget bikes included or any comparison to help decide which is best, just a load of pictures of bikes.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Usefull for those who want to buy a 'pretty' bike and dint care how it rides I guess!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • It then leaves these people thinking its advisable to buy an Ellsworth Dare.
    I don't like the way trail is equated to cross country, all mountain to enduro and freeride to downhill.
    Current fleet
    2015 Transition Scout
    2012 Nukeproof Scalp
    2016 Genesis Latitude
    2012 Transition Double
    2012 Transition Trail or Park

2006 Trek SL1000
    2017 Fly Proton
    ???? Create Polo Bike
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    It's just a picture of some bikes with no useful information.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • The Rookie
    I wonder how the manufacturers feel about the unauthorised use of their images......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    The Rookie wrote:
    I wonder how the manufacturers feel about the unauthorised use of their images......

They probably do not care one bit.

It's ok, is what it is, good for a look over but not much actual use.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Codfather wrote:
    It then leaves these people thinking its advisable to buy an Ellsworth Dare.
    I don't like the way trail is equated to cross country, all mountain to enduro and freeride to downhill.

All mountain and enduro are just different names for the same thing.
    Freeride bikes are quite rare now, everyone uses either a DH or slopestyle bike.
  • Codfather wrote:
    It then leaves these people thinking its advisable to buy an Ellsworth Dare.

All mountain and enduro are just different names for the same thing.
    Freeride bikes are quite rare now, everyone uses either a DH or slopestyle bike.

1) More or less. Just felt like I should continue being a d*ck about everything on the page rather than limit it to most of it. "Enduro" as a discipline is nonsense. It's a name now given to what mountain biking used to be (pick a hill, ride up it, ride down it, repeat) before you were obliged to pick a discipline/wheelsize/travel bracket and be a d*ck about it.

2) Rarer and rarer, but they do still exist, whether people use them or not.
    Current fleet
    2015 Transition Scout
    2012 Nukeproof Scalp
    2016 Genesis Latitude
    2012 Transition Double
    2012 Transition Trail or Park

2006 Trek SL1000
    2017 Fly Proton
    ???? Create Polo Bike
  • Hello again!

Sorry I didn't repplied to your comments before, I didn't visited the forum for a couple of weeks. Wow! thanks for your criticism, it seems you are very passionate about the sport and take this very seriuosly. I'll try to answer to all.-

Ok, so you are entirely correct... This isn't a guide, nor it gives you any buying advice, it is simply a list with pictures, sorry I used the word "Guide". It is hard to include prices, geometry, etc., as bikes can have different components and parts within the same model. But well, there's got to be someone out there who thinks seeing all these bikes together is kind of cool, isn't it?

It is true, XC is not the same as Trail, nor Downhill is the same as Freeride, All mountain is kind of similar as Enduro, but not entirely the same. But if you see the size of the file, you'll notice it's kind of big, I tried to save some space by putting 2 different categories in the same column. I forgot to put Freeride next to de DH colum.. sorry again, I'll fix that. I do believe is the right order though, starting with XC, then Trail, AM, Enduro and DH, in which the suspension grows larger, the head angle gets slacker and the overall weight of the bike gets heavier.

I will include de Canyion Torque DHX.. thanks for that!

In regard to the comment about not including UK brands, maybe you can help me out here. Which are the best known UK mtb brands in your oppinion?

Thanks again for your comments!
  • The Rookie
    Carrera, Boardman, Voodoo (Halfords), Rockrider/B'twin (Decathlon), Calibre (Go Outdoors), Pinnacle (Evans), Vitus (Chain Reaction Cycles), Genesis, On-One, Bird - there may be some more!
  • rockmonkeysc
    BTR, Cotic, Orange and Nukeproof.
  • penski
    penski Posts: 124
    Thats nice. I often see people talking about certain models freely and that chart helps you visualise what it is.
  • I think it's a great list of available bikes. It would be cool to have collected a list like this for the last 50 years.
    It's a handy list for those times your friends of friends say they ride a compulsion and you nod blankly. You then run to the toilet to check the Internet but you haven't got 3g coverage. Thankfully you have this document saved in your downloads.
    Head back to the convo with your mates a casually drop in that the compulsion is a nice all mountain rig that looks good in yellow.
    I'd like ladies bikes on it too as I'm on the lookout for a bike for the wife and I could have Google the names on your list.
    It's a lot of work you've done. Good effort