Hidden motors at the CX world championships?

UndercoverElephant
UndercoverElephant Posts: 5,796
edited February 2016 in Commuting chat
http://road.cc/content/tech-news/177135 ... rld-champs

This is going to make FCN guessing much harder.

Comments

• Be interesting to know how much these new fangled motors put out. Could be useful into a headwind I guess. But as a packaging issue its either this or a Di2/no cable gear thingy esque battery. Cant get both in the seatpost.
  • Be interesting to know how much these new fangled motors put out. Could be useful into a headwind I guess. But as a packaging issue its either this or a Di2/no cable gear thingy esque battery. Cant get both in the seatpost.

That's what SRAM eTap is for.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Road.CC have an article on a hidden seatpost motor that should deliver 200w

That's a fair old boost - providing you've got the battery to provide it.

I can completely understand electric motors on bikes - even hidden ones - for leisure riders ...
  • Yeah it has its uses for leisure riders. Seen a link to a model on the Pro Race board that costs about 4k so not the most economic solution.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,585
    Big thread on pro race.

Also a review of one on the FT if anyone has a sub.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    The guys on the pro--race thread (maybe it was somewhere else) who seemed to actually know about electric motors of this size and power-output (from their profession) had noise and heat-dissipation as two big hurdles - both would seemingly be a lot less of an obstacle for the cheat to overcome in CX than road-racing.

Damn - I hope it isn't as bad as it sounds; I am just getting my faith back
  • rick_chasey
    imatfaal wrote:
    The guys on the pro--race thread (maybe it was somewhere else) who seemed to actually know about electric motors of this size and power-output (from their profession) had noise and heat-dissipation as two big hurdles - both would seemingly be a lot less of an obstacle for the cheat to overcome in CX than road-racing.

It's a 16yr old girl ; worry about her and her parents first.

Secondly at least the UCI has measures in place to catch riders.

They've been doing a lot of surprise testing of bikes on all the big races for motors.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal wrote:

They've been doing a lot of surprise testing of bikes on all the big races for motors.

She's 19 and the reigning European u23 Champion. Pushy-parent syndrome has a lot to answer for though.
  • imatfaal wrote:

a 200 or there abouts watt motor will chew though anything but a sizable battery in a very short order, not to mention hiding wires and button for control.

it's intresting that it's been done but doping is going to have increased performance and harder to catch.
  • rick_chasey
    imatfaal wrote:
    imatfaal wrote:

She's 19 and the reigning European u23 Champion. Pushy-parent syndrome has a lot to answer for though.

Fat fingers.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal wrote:

a 200 or there abouts watt motor will chew though anything but a sizable battery in a very short order, not to mention hiding wires and button for control.

it's intresting that it's been done but doping is going to have increased performance and harder to catch.

200W is typical hyperbole from the press - that would be a significant proportion of even pro-riders output and would spotted a mile off. 10-20 Watts would just be enough to make a difference - a few percent less effort over the course of a race could be the difference between having a sprint left and being drained. Still technologically hard to do with reliability and without being spotted
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Even a low output of 20-30W would be a huge advantage (nearly 10% average for a rider in that category), dial it in for climbs (without actually going much faster) or a sprint finish and it would give a significant performance boost even if you only had a smallish battery like your typical quad 18650 light pack would give you about 20-25 mins use at 24W (8v and 2250mah given the efficiency curve).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.