Wheel Upgrade

charltonss
charltonss Posts: 7
edited February 2016 in Road beginners
Hi all, looking to upgrade the wheels on my Planet X pro Carbon from Shimano R501. This is the best deal I have found so far.
https://www.merlincycles.com/fulcrum-ra ... 86056.html

Not quite into racing just yet so value and durability are more important that being too lightweight.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Scott

Comments

• charltonss wrote:
    This is the best deal I have found so far.
    https://www.merlincycles.com/fulcrum-ra ... 86056.html

Not quite into racing just yet so value and durability are more important that being too lightweight.

Good enough deal especially when you consider the tyres are a ±£55 adder.

But if value and durability are more important, then maybe a set of handbuilts for the same money, or a little less, might be more appropriate??

Thinking Miche Primato hubs and a pair of H Plus Son Archetypes might be appropriate too. Somebody like Malcom at cycle clinic should be able to help.

Depends on weight and type of riding etc. etc.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,497
    I got some fulcrum 3's as my first wheel upgrade and I still have them now. I can't say anything bad about them, although others may have had equally good experience with other wheels either factory or handbuilts.
  • The Fulcrum 3 is a good wheel and is pretty much identical to the Campag Zonda, which normally comes in a touch cheaper than the Fulcrum.

You could probably buy the Zondas, tyres and tubes separately and save yourself £20 if you can be bothered.

I've used Zondas for the last couple of years in all weathers and save for a bearing change on the front wheel they've given exemplary service.
  • Had mine for 12 months and covered 4000 trouble free miles, so thumbs up from me.
  • I have the Zonda, have ridden 2000km on them and they are excellent.

Nothing to say about them, A++++ !!!
  • I'm a big fan of the Fulcrum Racing 3's. They were my first upgrade from stock wheels and the difference was significant. I have a friend that would recommend the Zonda's too. Don't think you can go wrong with either.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Another fan of Fulcrums here - apart from the Fulcrum 7s as although they are a good training wheel, getting the tyre bead to sit correctly was a PITA.

The Racing Zro's are fantastic and i also found Racing 3's to be excellent value.
  • skooter
    skooter Posts: 264
    Fulcrum 3's would get my vote, well pleased with the set I had.
  • Had my racing 3's for a year now and can't fault them and I weigh about 90kg. Still straight as an arrow