Gears. Will these components work well together?

stannie
stannie Posts: 167
edited February 2016 in Workshop
I have got a new bike and need to change the gearing ( I am unfit and there are lots of hills near here!)
I have 11 speed Dura Ace at the moment and don't want to downgrade too much if I can help it, but Shimano don't do Dura Ace 11-32 cassettes.
I need an11-32 cassette but am confused as to what works well together.
Will a SRAM PC1170 cassette work ok with a medium cage Ultegra 6800 rear mech and an Ultegra or SRAM PC1170 chain?
Or would I be better sticking with Ultegra cassette and Dura Ace chain?
....................................................................................................
Waterford RS-14
Trek Domane SL6
Ridley Noah SL

A woman can never have too many bikes!

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    I have got a new bike and need to change the gearing ( I am unfit and there are lots of hills near here!)
    I have 11 speed Dura Ace at the moment and don't want to downgrade too much if I can help it, but Shimano don't do Dura Ace 11-32 cassettes.
    I need an11-32 cassette but am confused as to what works well together.
    Will a SRAM PC1170 cassette work ok with a medium cage Ultegra 6800 rear mech and an Ultegra or SRAM PC1170 chain?
    Or would I be better sticking with Ultegra cassette and Dura Ace chain?

Effectively - Yes to any of your options. SRAM cassettes and chains are cross compatible with Shimano

But unless money is not a concern I'd opt for a 105 5800 11-32 cassette - they're half the price and will do the job with only a slight weight penalty. I'd also go for the 105 5800 medium cage derailleur - again almost half the price of an Ultegra.

Get a KMC 11 speed chain also. Extremely versatile and cheaper again than the SRAM or Dura Ace offerings
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Why would you get a SRAM Force-level cassette instead of Ultegra? The DA equivalent is the XG1190, which is available in 11-30 and 11-32, but is quite dear (ISTR £155 was the cheapest I've seen it recently). Either way, you'll need a GS rear mech, so you'll be compromising away from DA anyway. I'd just go Ultegra for both mech and cassette.
  • SME
    SME Posts: 348
    I had a bike which came with an 8 speed SRAM 12-26 as stock. I changed this for a Shimano 8 speed 11-30, and didn't have to change the rear mech (Claris) - I checked and it was rated up to 32 teeth anyway.

Much is said about SRAM and Shimano being interchangeable. I think I'd go with Arlowood's suggestion and try the 105 cassette too. If your DuraAce goes up to 28 then you may not need to get a larger rear mech - the one fitted may cope with a 32... try it and see. Check that the rear mech isn't 'folding back' on itself on the 11 tooth or overstretched on the 32!
  • Half the frames out there can run a 11-32 with a short cage...(not all, i repeat, NOT ALL). I would have a go with a new Cassette(Red XG1190) and chain first(KMC DLC SL11 if you're the posh person, otherwise a Dura-ace is fine), if it won't go down to it, then get a Ultegra Medium cage...
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    964Cup wrote:
    Why would you get a SRAM Force-level cassette instead of Ultegra? The DA equivalent is the XG1190, which is available in 11-30 and 11-32, but is quite dear (ISTR £155 was the cheapest I've seen it recently). Either way, you'll need a GS rear mech, so you'll be compromising away from DA anyway. I'd just go Ultegra for both mech and cassette.

Surely you answered your own question there? :D
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • stannie
    stannie Posts: 167
    Thanks everyone.
    I think I will get the Ultegra parts as I think they look better than 105, and only use the new rear mech if it is needed.
    ....................................................................................................
    Waterford RS-14
    Trek Domane SL6
    Ridley Noah SL

A woman can never have too many bikes!
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    philthy3 wrote:
    964Cup wrote:

Surely you answered your own question there? :D
    Not really, no. The OP was talking about buying a SRAM PG1170 (Force) cassette for a Dura-Ace drivetrain. Why buy SRAM? Ultegra offers an 11-32, at much the same weight and quality as the PG-series, but cheaper. I could understand buying XG1190 on weight grounds if money was no object, since there's nothing bigger than a 28 in Dura-Ace.