Hi is the Giant Anthem 275 2 a good deal

ArnieB
ArnieB Posts: 16
edited February 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hi All

I am thinking of buying the Giant Anthem 275 2 2015 from Pauls'

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s183p5824/GIANT-ANTHEM-27-5-2-2015

I've noticed a few of you like Giant so wondered if this is a good deal.

I currently have a Cube LTD race 29er and a voodoo bizango. I live near Oldham so most of my riding is canal towpaths and bits of the Pennine bridleway, mixed in with some road riding to/from the trails and some local trails. Generally I would say this is stone sheep driver tracks mixed in with some rougher stuff. All my rides start/end at home so I need something that will go up as easily as it goes down. I typically ride for 2.5 hours to 5 hours at a go.

I'd quite like to get a full sus just for the experience. This appeals as its mainly shimano kit and the local bike mechanic reckons shimano is better than SRAM at most price points. Both the cube and voodoo are full shimano kit and I've had no complaints.

cheers for any help

ArnieB

Comments

• JodyP
    JodyP Posts: 193
    Quality bike at a great knock down price and will suit you for your intended use. They are comfy, climb well and can handle some rougher stuff.

I'm biased because I own one but they are a great bike.
  • jamski
    jamski Posts: 737
    Looks amazing, adding this to the list of potential next bikes!
    Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
    Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two
  • kinioo
    kinioo Posts: 776
    Well,

I got my Anthem x2 2013 from them, reduced from £1899 to £900.

Cant complain an excellent bike and, boy it's fast.
  • ArnieB
    Many thanks

I will prepare the application to the financial controller tonight!!
  • ArnieB
    Approved!!

I showed the forum chain to Mrs Arnie and she laughed. She used to work in central manchester and so every week I was greeted with the "look what I have saved" line. We have saved a fortune now she has moved to an office on a business park far away from the siren call of Boots, Oasis, Selfridges etc..

Just placed the order now - £1165 with shipping to the cotes de Oldham.

I have to say I was caught in 2 minds when the bloke posted about the Boardman - I've a voodoo so I know Halfords sell great bikes badly!!

the Boardman looked very tempting - a RS Pike fork for £1500! But I don't like SRAM kit and it was £350 more than the Giant, so I stuck with the giant.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    In the Boardman thread you stated your mechanic told you Shimano were better than SRAM, yo could at least be consistent with your unfounded bias!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.