What clipless platform pedals and shoes?

jamski
jamski Posts: 737
edited January 2016 in MTB buying advice
So to save reposting I've changed the title and this first post, but original is below. Now I know a little more (thank you) what platform clipless pedals and shoes for a total clipless noob?!

Thanks.

ORIGINAL POST

Hi all.

Thinking about trying clipless now, felt pretty unsure of my footing at times yesterday. But, I would like to keep the convenience of just being able to jump on the bike.

Does anyone have any recommendations for clipless/flat combo pedals, and clipless shoes.

Thanks.
Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    They don't really exist.
  • jamski
    They don't really exist.

No, that's the conclusion I've come to now! Thanks!
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Combo pedals do but are crap, shoe wise most have covers which are plastic. I use some Northwave Dolomites on my flats without problems the cleat cover seems to be rubbery enough for the pedals
  • jamski
    Have edited this thread, hope that's ok. Having done some research I would like a clipless pedal with a platform 'cage' I don't really see why you wouldn't for recreational riding to be honest. Looking at the Shimano m647 or Crank Brothers Mallet 3.

All thoughts or opinions welcome, not that you guys ever hold back!

I'll probably go to my LBS and try in some shoes.

Cheers!
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    crank bros will probably fall apart after a couple of weeks.

have a look at time ATAC pedals they are significatly more reliable than the crank bros. I had a pair for 18 years and only changed for something a bit more colourful
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Crank Bros pedals are useless, extremely poorly made and unreliable. Bearings last approximately 12 minutes.
    If you want that style of pedal, the HT X1 would be the best choice.
  • ArnieB
    ArnieB Posts: 16
    I made the switch about 2 years ago to Shimano SPD and never looked back. Whichever pedal you go for they same to work well, and clipping in and out is easy once you get the hang of it. All I would say is go on a few short rides first whilst you get the hang of it but I bet within 2 or 3 rides you'll be a natural.
  • codfather
    codfather Posts: 359
    I came into some Mallets recently; used them twice and they haven't broken, so I feel I'm doing fairly well.

Still not sure why they made the cleats out of cheese.
    Current fleet
    2015 Transition Scout
    2012 Nukeproof Scalp
    2016 Genesis Latitude
    2012 Transition Double
    2012 Transition Trail or Park

2006 Trek SL1000
    2017 Fly Proton
    ???? Create Polo Bike
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    The older Crank Bros were lasted pretty well,I bought some stainless egg beaters when they first came out,and used them for about 10 years with no issues at all,got through a few sets of cleats though,must be that they grip on so little area,only went back to shimano spd's about 3 years ago when going to the alps and wanted some thing with bit of a cage platfom,so went with a set of trail versions
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    I have the Shimano M424, pretty much same a M647, had them for about 5 years, also had SPDs on my road bike for about 8 years and both still work fine.

The cage is handy because it means I can ride without being clipped in which is handy for really technical/scary stuff and to be honest it's not too bad, rode a lot of the tight uphill parts of Afan unclipped without any problems - kept one foot in and one out.