Challenge Mallorca - spoilers

mroli
mroli Posts: 3,622
edited February 2016 in Pro race
Lumpy stage today finishing in Porte D'andratx which is where I'll be heading in a month!

Brambilla won, Kwiatkowski second in his first race for Sky - also finishing in the first group, Valverde, Stybar, Cancellara and also Scott Thwaites, Tao GH with Hugh Carthy 10 sec behind. Hopefully very confidence giving... Couple of other GB Olympic gold medal winners rolled in 18 minutes down too...

Comments

• "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • I have that damned tune stuck in my head again!
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    Euskadi in fluro eh?
  • OTL WIGGINS Bradley Great Britain - does the race go past a boozer?
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    Ive been following the race the last few days. Went by bike today and after waiting for all the riders, and then finally the broom wagon I descended the mountain myself. About 10 mins later I came across Wiggins miles back and back on the open roads. Lol Still 50k to go as well
  • Richmond Racer 2
    Richmond Racer 2 Posts: 4,698
    edited January 2016
    OTL WIGGINS Bradley Great Britain - does the race go past a boozer?

Stupid SGS :roll:

Most of ydays field DNFd or OTLd. Twas one of those days. Even more so today.

FWIW these days are base miles for track for BW, Doull, Dibben, Burke, Tennant & co. Geoghegan Hart, Dan Pearson & Scott Davies ie the non-GB track guys here in the GB squad, have been told those guys are just here to spin, and that its TGH, Pearson & Davies' chance to grab the attention of the pro teams, if they want to go for it
  • delete

FWIW these days are base miles for track for BW, Doull, Dibben, Burke, Tennant & co. Geoghegan Hart, Dan Pearson & Scott Davies ie the non-GB track guys here in the GB squad, have been told those guys are just here to spin, and that its TGH, Pearson & Davies' chance to grab the attention of the pro teams, if they want to go for it

its a shame they don't give those places to guys who would actually race it and try to make a name for themselves. Then just send the track lads out on training rides
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    what's OTL?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    Outside Time Limit.

its a shame they don't give those places to guys who would actually race it and try to make a name for themselves. Then just send the track lads out on training rides

It's GB national squad, this is the format every year for them at Challenge Mallorca, and this year with an eye to Rio. It's how it is. Cullough, Latham, Wood, all had chances on Thu, and will no doubt get another one tomorrow
  • The daily dose. Trofeo number 3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13qnLpJLQRY
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

It's GB national squad, this is the format every year for them at Challenge Mallorca, and this year with an eye to Rio. It's how it is. Cullough, Latham, Wood, all had chances on Thu, and will no doubt get another one tomorrow

Quite, but if they only want a training ride and are not going to race then why enter a race? They could go out their and spin sround the countryside to their heart's consent without all the hassle.

Does seem a shame to not give others a chance to experience that sort of event.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Bunch sprint finish for today's stage.

CaDavRBWQAAba0X.jpg:large

Second win in Mallorca for Greipel with Bouhanni in second.

If they awarded an overall (they don't but apparently they used to) for the Trofeo races this would be the the final GC ...

CaDdWRkWIAAgXFK.jpg

Source @searchhhh
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Quite, but if they only want a training ride and are not going to race then why enter a race? They could go out their and spin sround the countryside to their heart's consent without all the hassle.

Does seem a shame to not give others a chance to experience that sort of event.
    This is not that sort of "erm" racing.
    Some riders, ride every stage with some hope of overall win. (well they used to)
    Then others start whatever stages they fancy to get the miles in and maybe a podium.
    Wiki wrote:
    The event is used as an early season preparatory event by many of the top teams in readiness for the bigger races later in the season. The five races are ranked 1.1 on the UCI Europe Tour.

Although the race styles itself as the “Tour of Majorca” it has never been allowed to be classed as a multi day stage race by the sports governing body the Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI) because the race rules allows riders not to participate on certain days if they don’t want to. However, there is an unofficial overall classification winner taken on total time over five days. This laid back attitude by the race organisers makes the race popular with team managers who can bring a large squad (sometimes as many as 20 riders) and interchange them over the five days.
    Steady son, the racing will start next month. :wink:
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    edited January 2016
    Guys, guys.

Every race before het volk (nieuwsblad) is a pre-season friendly.
  • Guys, guys.

Every race before het volk (nieusblad) is a pre-season friendly.

So much this
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent

Lighten up - I know the score!
  • Guys, guys.

That should be 'Ghent-Ghent' to a hardcore fan, surely? :)

Anyone else notice the sign to 'Casa Robert Graves' at the end of the Deia stage, nice.
  • Guys, guys.

Nah, cos Omloop indicates it finishes in the same place it starts. And purlease "Gent" in de Vlaams. :wink:

NB it will now, of course be Het Vlaams.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Guys, guys.

Nah, cos Omloop indicates it finishes in the same place it starts. And purlease "Gent" in de Vlaams. :wink:

Helaas pindakaas.
  • deejay

I know you live and speak the language but I dispute your statement in relation to the cycle race.
    I visited the Omloop for the whole dozen or so years that it started in GENT and finished in LOKEREN. :roll:
    I was also there when Ballerini won at GENT/Drongen alongside the water sports lake.
    I have never heard Sean Kelly refer to that race as anything other than GENT-GENT.
  • deejay wrote:

I know you live and speak the language but I dispute your statement in relation to the cycle race.
    I visited the Omloop for the whole dozen or so years that it started in GENT and finished in LOKEREN. :roll:
    I was also there when Ballerini won at GENT/Drongen alongside the water sports lake.
    I have never heard Sean Kelly refer to that race as anything other than GENT-GENT.

Lokeren is way out but Drongen is still in Gent. Maybe it's just a name that stuck. Or I need to go upside the head of the guy who told me that.

@gietvangent
  • deejay
    deejay wrote:
    b]Nah, cos Omloop indicates it finishes in the same place it starts.[/b]
    Lokeren is way out but Drongen is still in Gent. Maybe it's just a name that stuck. Or I need to go upside the head of the guy who told me that.
    Still Off Topic.
    You say omloop = is a finish where it starts.
    Well I know where Lokeren is 20 Kms away from the Gent start. So I dispute your interpretation of Omloop in the context of the Het Volk race.
    In 2008 Het Nieuwsblad took over and made the finish in Gent to become the Gent-Gent race again
    I did say Gent/Drongen, as I know it to be a municipality of the city of Gent/Gand/Ghent where I watched Franco Ballerini out sprint Edwig Van Hooydonck and Andrei Tchmil on a cold wind swept finish. (I get the shivers at the thought of waiting there)
    Drongen is easy to find on the ringroad R4 by the canal.
  • I think we're agreeing.

@gietvangent
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Quite, but if they only want a training ride and are not going to race then why enter a race?
    In light of Giant's accident in Spain - I'd point at "car free roads" as being a pretty big plus.