Meta V4 AM Race vs YT Capra CF Comp

EthanIsAFish
EthanIsAFish Posts: 3
edited March 2016 in MTB buying advice
Alright, here it goes...
Currently in the market for a new bike, months of drooling over bikes, comparing stats and reading reviews has led me to two that would suit my needs most. This has come down to a battle between The Commencal Meta V4 race and the YT Capra CF Comp.
I am also heading to Australia and New Zealand next year, living with my aunt for a year in Cairns and then off to mooch around NZ. Thus the need for a (I don't want to be that guy but) "do it all bike". My weekend riding is mainly downhill stuff and then trail centres quite often too. Quite often travel to Wales to ride. During the week I ride my local, the 2012 Olympic track and surrounding trails, so pretty flat. Also more enduro racing this year.
Anyway... Before I ramble on about the pros and cons in my head of either bike, i'd like a nice discussion, what does everyone recommend.

Comments

• poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    why not see what the prices are like over there for bikes?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The YT isn't a do it all bike, it's a right tank to climb on and the carbon frames are known for failures. Wait to get one is pretty bad as well.
    The Commencal or a Giant Reign would be better.
  • POAH wrote:
    why not see what the prices are like over there for bikes?

Good point, man. Off I go on another internet surfing adventure and go into a stupor looking at bikes, haha!
    The YT isn't a do it all bike, it's a right tank to climb on and the carbon frames are known for failures. Wait to get one is pretty bad as well.
    The Commencal or a Giant Reign would be better.

My thoughts exactly, cheers for the advice! The YT seems more like a mini-dh bike and the V4 just seems more pedal friendly.
  • A riding buddy as a Meta and it's a pretty fun bike to ride and always surprises me how light the frame is. Only thing I would say is that they tend to like a bit of front end lift when climbing from sizing coming up quite short.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • My mates got the Capra and it's a great bike. He also has a 2012 reign. He believes the capra to be better in every way.
    It's a beast on the downs and climbs at least as well as other enduro bikes.
  • ive got a few mates that have got capras and claim that they are the best bikes theyve ever had. Not had problems on any climbs and not tank like.
  • Just beware I know a good few of my local bike shops wont touch Capra if possible and refuse to do any bearing swaps in the frames apparently they have a habit of the paint coming away as the bearings are removed among other things.

Personally I think bike shops are taking a bit of stand against the direct buy model to a degree so they can stay open.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    My local shop won't do YT bearing changes but will do any other brand except my mates old Kona Stab (that's understandable)
    I've heard of quite a few of the carbon Capra frames failing now.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A riding buddy has a Capra, on his normal local trail bike (Liteville 301) he usually gets away from me on uphills (and I'm not slow uphills) on his Capra (similar finishing kit) he can barely keep up and on longer (still not long) climbs is a sweaty mess at the top if he tries, he would agree it's a tank uphills which is why he only usually uses it for uplift days. I certainly wouldn't be having one as a do it all bike unless you are happy winching slowly uphills just for the downs when it performs OK. In other words it will climb, but its not something to enjoy or do at 'speed'.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • johnas7
    johnas7 Posts: 39
    Been out at the weekend with a few lads on capras, my friend was beating me up the climbs on his YT capra AL1 and i was on my specialized camber 29er and i class myself as a lot fitter than him. He says their not tank like at all. Also my mates 47 yr old dad was hammering his 21 year old son on the climbs at hamsterley on his, his son was on a santa cruz heckler with 160mm pike forks, the same as the forks on the capra. From what I've seen and read they are certainly not TANK LIKE..!!!!