GCN 5 minute bike clean

mcstumpy
mcstumpy Posts: 298
edited January 2016 in Road general
Just been watching the below, GCNs 5 minute bike clean. Looks like a pragmatic approach, but I'm guessing the wd40 as a lubricant may divide opinion?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QvzVRxlIUL0

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,434
    no need for opinion, the fact is that wd40 isn't a good lubricant

once the solvents finish displacing the good lubricant together with any water, they'll evaporate and leave just a thin film of light oil

if thin films of light oil were good lubricants you'd find them in new chains. hubs, bb bearings, car transmissions, engines, etc. etc., but they're not good, so what you find are much heavier oils or even greases

btw hilarious video, spraying wd40 onto the brakes, what a plank!
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Here come the experts...
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    WD40, the clue is in the name. From the manufacturer's website:

WD-40® literally stands for Water Displacement, 40th formula.

oh, agree with Sungod, spraying WD40 on your brakes, FFS.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    He doesn't use it as a lube though does he?

I thought (i watched it a while ago and i'm at work now so can't check) he just used it to clean the bike then used a separate lube afterwards?
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Chris Bass wrote:
    He doesn't use it as a lube though does he?

I thought (i watched it a while ago and i'm at work now so can't check) he just used it to clean the bike then used a separate lube afterwards?

Oh he does use WD40 as a lube but admits it's a contentious decision.
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    against the grain its what I do for a 5 minuter.....
  • mcstumpy
    He says he does it after every ride, I guess he'll be out most days, so effectively always keeping a thin layer of oil on the chain that is refreshed every ride?
  • olake92
    olake92 Posts: 182
    sungod wrote:
    spraying wd40 onto the brakes, what a plank!

*caliper. It's not exactly the brake blocks, is it?

It is a very pragmatic approach; I'd rather do a 5' clean every day or so than a 1hr clean each week.

To help explain the WD40 as a 'lube', my own experience suggests (as he notes) that it only works if you already have lube on your chain and haven't used a full on degreaser. I'd guess, as you're not degreasing the chain fully, it thins out some of the existing lube that isn't washed off (as it's only a quick wash) and redistributes it over the chain more evenly. Hell, the WD40 website even says that it's a myth that it isn't really a lubricant. Plus, what McStumpy says.
    Myth: WD-40® Multi-Use Product should not be used on bike chains.

Fact: While WD-40® Multi-Use Product it is not a grease, it is formulated with strong lubricating oils and other ingredients, and is a terrific product to use for bike maintenance. It does not attract dirt or moisture to metal surfaces – just be sure to wipe off any excess WD-40® Multi-Use Product before riding.

For long-term lubrication and other specialized bicycle maintenance needs, check out WD-40® BIKE. Developed specifically for cyclists and mechanics, this high-performance line of bicycle care products is sure to become a mainstay in the toolboxes of bike mechanics for decades.
    Myth: WD-40® Multi-Use Product is not really a lubricant.

Fact: While the “W-D” in WD-40® stands for Water Displacement, WD-40® Multi-Use Product is a unique, special blend of lubricants. The product’s formulation also contains anti-corrosion agents and ingredients for penetration, water displacement and soil removal.
    I'm on Twitter! Follow @olake92 for updates on my racing, my team's performance and some generic tweets.
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    McStumpy wrote:
    He says he does it after every ride, I guess he'll be out most days, so effectively always keeping a thin layer of oil on the chain that is refreshed every ride?

Seems to work ok for me when done daily.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    mmm, in this case the numptee seems to spray it in the general direction of the calipers so the stuff would be on the rims, blocks and anything else in the line of fire.
  • Wears off the rim in about one minutes. I give my calipers and nipples a light spraying from a distance every few washes just to keep the rust at bay in the bolt heads, etc. It'll definitely go on the rim surface. I do wipe the bike down fully afterwards but braking is never an issue.
  • mcstumpy
    I'm new to biking and no expert, but I look at the video and I've watched a lot of the GCN stuff. My impression is they are all experienced ex pros who know what they're talking about?
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,802
    edited January 2016
    McStumpy wrote:
    I'm new to biking and no expert, but I look at the video and I've watched a lot of the GCN stuff. My impression is they are all experienced ex pros who know what they're talking about?

Of course they do. But this is an internet forum where everyone is an expert.
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    McStumpy wrote:
    Just been watching the below, GCNs 5 minute bike clean. Looks like a pragmatic approach, but I'm guessing the wd40 as a lubricant may divide opinion?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QvzVRxlIUL0

Your bike will look good but it will ruin the bearings as soon as soapy water reaches the internals.
    Maintenance just for the eye.
    In the pro world it's often done this way, but a mechanic has to make a lot of bikes "clean"(for the eyes of spectators) and you can afford apply the best for your bike, that's the difference.
    The only useful application for WD40 is spraying the chain clean after a wet ride on holidays and only when the chain is lubricated afterwards.
    Otherwise WD40 should be kept away from racing bikes ever.
  • I fins wd-40 good for coating exposed cables to keep them rust free. I also sometimes use it to lube the front and rear mechs, and the brake pivots (carefully!) but I must admit I'm starting to use AC-90 more for those parts now.
  • I do pretty much the same... and absolutely no dramas! I wouldn't use fairy liquid however, it contains more salt than I want to put near my bike, bearings or whatever...
  • After any wash or poor weather I'll wipe down the rims with some "trade Wipes" . sort of industrial strength baby wipes, keeps the brakes responsive ond way less slippy or grindy.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    After any wash or poor weather I'll wipe down the rims with some "trade Wipes" . sort of industrial strength baby wipes, keeps the brakes responsive ond way less slippy or grindy.

me too, B and M bargains or similar shops usually have the big tubs for about 3 quid, get the chain clean as quick as anything I have tried. makes you wonder what they do to your skin!!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes