How strong are carbon rims(in terms of putting tyre on)

boogi11
boogi11 Posts: 354
edited February 2016 in Workshop
Hi all, I'm about to,get my first set of full carbon 50mm carbons. Tokens c50. My concern is that my gps4000 are an absolute. Pain in the arse to,get on my fulcrum 3s , two tyre levers and all my strength , will carbon rims stand up to,this abuse or for my next question are their more suited tyres for summer only for carbon rims

Cheers

Comments

• Although Fulcrum wheels tend to be a tight fit, if you need levers your doing it wrong.
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    You should definitely avoid using levers - on any rim, but especially on carbon. Soapy water on the inside of the tyre bead can help, as can doing it in a warm room, but it's ultimately a question of technique. You shouldn't need levers even for fitting tubeless tyres, never mind normal clinchers. If the tyres are wire-beaded, consider getting some that are folding instead - they'll be easier to fit.
  • boogi11
    boogi11 Posts: 354
    964Cup wrote:
    You should definitely avoid using levers - on any rim, but especially on carbon. Soapy water on the inside of the tyre bead can help, as can doing it in a warm room, but it's ultimately a question of technique. You shouldn't need levers even for fitting tubeless tyres, never mind normal clinchers. If the tyres are wire-beaded, consider getting some that are folding instead - they'll be easier to fit.

Cheers any recommendations for a good summer tyre for my carbons
  • JoostG
    JoostG Posts: 189
    Carbon is stronger than most expect. If you need tyre levers (and that can happen), I advise you to use VAR tyre levers. Mounting the tyres on other rims will help: the tyre will be stretched a little. The last tyre I mounted on carbon rims was the Schwalbe Pro One: easy job.
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    boogi11 wrote:
    964Cup wrote:

I'm not really the man to ask, since I ride tubs. I tended to use Schwalbe back in the day - Ultremo ZX - so I guess now I'd point you to the Pro One. Otherwise the Veloflex Master is a fabulous tyre, but not perhaps the most robust.
  • I dont reckon you'll have a problem getting them on the carbon rims anyway. Probably just a problem with the Fulcrum racing 3. My wife has the Fulcrums with vittoria corsa cx and they are stupidly difficult to get on. The same tyres go on all of my carbon wheels by hand. And if getting the tyres on wasn't difficult enough, getting them off the Fulcrums is so hard that iv'e had to buy her some alluminium levers as the plastic ones kept snapping!
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • boogi11 wrote:

Vittoria open corsa
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul